Anyone in the military or going to join the military?

Options

Replies

• srey0701
    srey0701 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Active duty Navy here! Going on five years and loving it!

Rate?

UT3 at the CBC base in Port Hueneme!
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Active Duty Army NCO here. Just hit 12 years.

You'll know in your first term if the military is right for you or not. Some people can hack it, some people get sent OCS (on city streets).

Lol OCS does not mean that in the Navy/Marine Core so that lil saying don't work... It would be awesome to be sent to Officer Candidate School. :P

We have the same school in the Army. Just a play on military jargon. I wouldn't be worth my stripes if I actually advocated enlisted go become an officer.
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    AD Army, 11B, went thru RASP, got the 75th Ranger bat ft stewart
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options

Rate?

Can do Seebee eh?

Im'a ship riding ET2 though I have never been stationed on a ship yet :)
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options

You'll know in your first term if the military is right for you or not. Some people can hack it, some people get sent OCS (on city streets).

Lol OCS does not mean that in the Navy/Marine Core so that lil saying don't work... It would be awesome to be sent to Officer Candidate School. :P

We have the same school in the Army. Just a play on military jargon. I wouldn't be worth my stripes if I actually advocated enlisted go become an officer.

Pfft, I'll take that O-1E to O-3E any day.
  • Scott2ndGradeTeacher
    Scott2ndGradeTeacher Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    As a veteran (cannonball crewman during the crusades!), I can tell you that you will get out of the miltary what you put in.
  • srey0701
    srey0701 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Rate?

Can do Seebee eh?

Im'a ship riding ET2 though I have never been stationed on a ship yet :)

Very nice! I'm happy to say that I will never have to see one! haha
  • minijag06
    minijag06 Posts: 70
    Options
    I retired from the Navy. My daughter is currently active duty Navy and my son is joining the Marines in July. Now to work on my 13-year old to get her to join! It's a great way to start your life. Not everyone is a lifer but you definitely will learn a lot! Good luck to everyone!
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options

Pfft, I'll take that O-1E to O-3E any day.

Meh, no one is perfect. :wink:
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Married to the Navy. GM1 :smile:
  • kimberly6106
    Options
    9 years active duty coast guard here. I hated the idea of being stuck on a ship 9 months+ at a time so the Navy was not for me. I love The Coast guard and working in search and rescue.
  • jlt1968
    jlt1968 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AmyJeanMarie84
    AmyJeanMarie84 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    US Army 2005-2009 10th Aviation out of Fort Drum. I enjoyed just about ever thing in the military except getting hurt and the BS that goes along with it. Have fun, you will meet a lot of great friends, see a lot of interesting things, and wax a lot of floors ( or maybe that's just the ARMY). Just remember right time, right place, right uniform, and you should be set.
  • Ender126
    Ender126 Posts: 44
    Options
    @mrphil86:
    I'm still looking over all of my options.
    I had a several ideas of what I'd like to do.
    Rate: I was told because I scored pretty good on the ASVAB and have some college background I could graduate basic as an E-3 (Seaman).
    MOS:
    1.) V.B.S.S (Vessel. Board. Search. Seizure.)
    2.) Aviation
    3.) Fire, Emergency & Rescue
    4.) Gunner's Mate
    (ASVAB Score: 55) = I was told I didn't qualify for only (3) things Nuclear Submarines, Engineering and Intelligence.
    After I took the test for entrance to the Marine Corps, the Navy wanted me for Nuclear Sub school, but it was a 6 year commitment, At 17, 6 years seemed an eternity. The absolute best job; Air Traffic Control. Short school, great duty assingments, high re-enlistment bonuses, and big bucks when you get out. Trust me; it's the best job.

I'd argue that IT is a better rate for all those. Has TONS of billet options, also has a short A school but lots of great C schools, always has a re-up bonus, and tons of civilian certs which gets you a great paying job as well. Not to mention advancement is awesome. If I could have gone back, I would be an IT.

Instead I'm an ET with crappy advancement. Still love it though because I get everything else. :)

EDIT: Oh, don't say MOS. We don't have those silly things in the Navy. You'll likely get shot at bootcamp if you say that. They are called NEC's which are kinda like a secondary but your primary job is called your Rate.

I'm an IT2(IDW/SW), been in for about 5 1/2 years. If you have any questions drop me a PM. I agree wholeheartedly with the IT statements above. It's a very rewarding rate full of A LOT of possibilities! VBSS is not a rate and you can do it as an IT. Aviation and Damage Control (Firemen) are pretty locked up and hard to advance in. I've seen some Gunner Mates make E5 in 3-4 years and others make it in 8 years, it all depends on your NECs for that rating. Any other questions let me know!
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Be a medic and like me you'll have a job in any ER...
  • xALEXANDROx
    xALEXANDROx Posts: 3,416 Member
    Options
    not military --but just want to say thank you all who serve have served and will serve this country. THANKS.
  • kansaspeach
    kansaspeach Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    As a veteran (cannonball crewman during the crusades!), I can tell you that you will get out of the miltary what you put in.

Amen to that! I was active duty Army for 4 years (hello, Fort Riley). I've been in the AF for the last 12 - ANG. I have loved EVERY second of it. I love my job, love my Commanders, love the people I work with. I'm not AGR/Technician, but I manage to be on orders about 200-250 days a year, between being at Home Station or deployed overseas. There is no place on earth I'd rather be. My husband just retired after 22 years of active service in the Navy - I've followed him everywhere. We just got to move back home so I could go back to my original ANG unit. It's good to be home and I didn't realize how much I was missed by the other people in my Wing til I got back!

For those of you just starting out - go into your military career with AN OPEN MIND. Yes, it's good to hear the stories of others, but don't let them cloud your own experience. It IS what you make it. My husband LOVED every minute of his time in the Navy and the day he retired was one of the saddest days of his life. I can't even think about retiring; it makes me nauseous. Yeah, there is definitely some stuff that sucked - I was attached to an Infantry unit during my Army time. We did a lot of stuff that sucked, but I just kept going. My last overseas deployment was less than great, I just kept going. The only way to get through something is keep going. Stuff doesn't suck for forever. But anyway - just remember it is all you - stay positive and you will be fine!

And feel free to add me if you'd like. :)
  • DesireeAshley90
    DesireeAshley90 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hooyah! Navy pride right here!
    I enlisted last year as CTI! Got out and now going back to MEPS in July before my scores expire.
  • RikkiDominey
    RikkiDominey Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bump**
  • IHAVEPMS247
    IHAVEPMS247 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am retired from the Navy and it was such a great and rewarding career. I was a Hospital Corpsman and spent my last half of career with the Marines. Loved it and would do it all over again.