Does lifting weights do anything at a caloric deficit?

Options
So I know most everyone's impulse is to say "No!! You need to be at a caloric surplus to build muscle, yada yada", and I know that I've heard it a million times. But I'm NOT wanting to build any real muscle or bulk up. Here is my backstory:

Last time I used mfp for two months and it worked like a charm. I road my bike every day and ate 1200 net calories. I lost about 2 pounds a week , which was pretty safe, went from 178.5 to 155 lbs. I was just getting to where I wanted to start toning up and losing body fat (was at 17% body fat, but my stomach didn't look like others at that percentage, not even close), and the holidays/ winter hit... I gained it all back and now I'm back at 178. Now that the weather is nicer I am again watching my calories, eating only lean meats and veggies/fruits, drinking all water, and riding my bike. I know this will work as I've done it before, but if I do say 3 sets of 10 reps of push ups, 3 sets of 15 crunches, and perhaps some biceps curls, every day or every other day after my ride, will there be any noticeable difference in my body at the end of the 2 months compared to before? Just wanting to tone up a bit and have some definition to my body this time around at 155 or 150 lbs, not get bulky at all.

Replies

• RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    it has worked for me, but I suppose there will be a point that I will stop seeing much improvement.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    You may not add muscle (that's a topic of debate) but it will definitely help you preserve the muscle mass you have. If you eat at a deficit and don't strength train you will lose lean muscle along with the fat
  • sheep_dog
    sheep_dog Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Oh ok that makes sense. These first 5 days I've only been doing pushes and crunches. Ill actually soon be adding some kind of curls and planks.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    So you don't want to build "any real muscle" but then you say you want to "tone up a bit". Toning IS the absense of fat and the presense of muscle. That definition you seek IS muscle. You lose fat by a calorie deficit, you gain muscle by lifting heavy weights. Doing a few muscle groups a couple of times a week frankly won't do much if anything and will probably give you muscle imbalances since you're not hitting all the muscle groups.

- You should never train a muscle group everyday.
    - Lose the isolation lifts and incorporate compound lifts into your training regime.
    - You aren't going to get bulky from lifting weights unless you use steriods.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Oh ok that makes sense. These first 5 days I've only been doing pushes and crunches. Ill actually soon be adding some kind of curls and planks.

Strong lack of leg work
  • sheep_dog
    Options

Strong lack of leg work

That's because that is my workout I do every day (or ever other day) after my 10 mile bike ride at 16 MPH :p, I've always had a problem with my legs being disproportionately more muscular than the rest of my body (before I started bike riding, I was an ice hockey goalie in highschool... huge explosive legs :p)
  • lglg11
    lglg11 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for body weight exercises , go to nerdfitness.com

You will find a circuit there for beginners and intermediate .

I think you will like it alot , it doesnt take long to do , maybe 25mins and you will hit all your muscle groups so no imbalance .

Good luck !
  • sheep_dog
    Options
    So you don't want to build "any real muscle" but then you say you want to "tone up a bit". Toning IS the absense of fat and the presense of muscle. That definition you seek IS muscle. You lose fat by a calorie deficit, you gain muscle by lifting heavy weights. Doing a few muscle groups a couple of times a week frankly won't do much if anything and will probably give you muscle imbalances since you're not hitting all the muscle groups.

- Lose the isolation lifts and incorporate compound lifts into your training regime.

so what do you suggest I do if I want to lose my weight and body fat to get back down to 155, but also get definition which you say is gaining muscle? do I eat at a deficit for losing the fat, or at a caloric surplus for gaining the muscle? This is what annoys me, I don't understand how this can work. Please suggest to me your ideas for my goals.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Resistance training, while in a calorie deficit, will improve strength, retain lean body mass, strengthen bones and improve cardio vascular health. The majority of the weight you lose will be body fat. This produces the body that most people are looking for.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options

so what do you suggest I do if I want to lose my weight and body fat to get back down to 155, but also get definition which you say is gaining muscle? do I eat at a deficit for losing the fat, or at a caloric surplus for gaining the muscle? This is what annoys me, I don't understand how this can work. Please suggest to me your ideas for my goals.

Lift heavy....mostly compound, full body lifts 3 days a week.
    Eat at a slight-moderate deficit and give it time.
  • sheep_dog
    Options
    But I'd say 7/10 people on this site insist HEAVILY that lifting heavy would be ridiculous and pointless to do if not eating at a caloric surplus. But do you think I should first eat at a large surplus until I've gotten a lot of my body fat out, then start eating barely at a deficit while lifting heavy?

Still seem skeptical since so many people say the whole "caloric surplus is a must" thing.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    But I'd say 7/10 people on this site insist HEAVILY that lifting heavy would be ridiculous and pointless to do if not eating at a caloric surplus.

You have that backward. 7/10 (probably more) insist that lifting heavy is the right thing to do when at a Caloric deficit, to maintain muscle mass.

As the first person that gave you detailed advice said: eat at a deficit; compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, bench, etc); succeed.
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You may not add muscle (that's a topic of debate) but it will definitely help you preserve the muscle mass you have. If you eat at a deficit and don't strength train you will lose lean muscle along with the fat

That is your answer right there. Don't you want to preserve as much of what you currently have as possible? If you should be so lucky as to add a bit then that is just icing on the cake. Right?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    But I'd say 7/10 people on this site insist HEAVILY that lifting heavy would be ridiculous and pointless to do if not eating at a caloric surplus. But do you think I should first eat at a large surplus until I've gotten a lot of my body fat out, then start eating barely at a deficit while lifting heavy?

Still seem skeptical since so many people say the whole "caloric surplus is a must" thing.

I have not seen anyone saying you should not lift while in a deficit. What they do say is you can not gain muscle while in a calorie deficit (except for a small amount of newbie gains). Eating in a surplus will not allow you to lose body fat.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I've been heavy lifting at a deficit for about 7 months now. Granted...I take maintainance weeks here and there, but I've never eaten in a surplus in over a year now. I've gained a ton of strength, maintained my LBM and lost body fat. All while feeling totally strong, awesome and just plain bad *kitten*.
  • sheep_dog
    Options

I have not seen anyone saying you should not lift while in a deficit. What they do say is you can not gain muscle while in a calorie deficit. Eating in a surplus will not allow you to lose body fat.

I'm going to try what this article has to say.. To burn my body fat (use it for fuel) while gaining muscle so that you can lose fat while gaining muscle :) .

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fat_loss_muscle_gain_trick.htm
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I know there are mixed opinions on this, but I lifted fairly heavy on a calorie deficit (now I am closer to maintenance than deficit but still on the lower end) and I had no trouble gaining muscle. My muscle is not BULKY but it is definitely there. I tried to show someone something on the inside of my wrist the other day and they all said HOLY CRAP because the way I was holding my arm made my bicep protrude and show off the toned-ness (lol) that I've gained over the past months. My legs have also shown huge differences. So regardless of what people may say, I have gained lean muscle mass while eating at a deficit. I do try to eat a substantial amount of protein though so that probably helps.
  • jackaroo21
    jackaroo21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Stick with your bike. Leave the weights to the rest of us, you dont seem to get it. Losing fat and retaining lean muscle mass is all right with me. Either give it a try or dont.
  • sheep_dog
    Options
    I know there are mixed opinions on this, but I lifted fairly heavy on a calorie deficit (now I am closer to maintenance than deficit but still on the lower end) and I had no trouble gaining muscle. My muscle is not BULKY but it is definitely there. I tried to show someone something on the inside of my wrist the other day and they all said HOLY CRAP because the way I was holding my arm made my bicep protrude and show off the toned-ness (lol) that I've gained over the past months. My legs have also shown huge differences. So regardless of what people may say, I have gained lean muscle mass while eating at a deficit. I do try to eat a substantial amount of protein though so that probably helps.

Great thanks that makes me feel better. Ill probably start using my university gym as well as riding my bike, and have a slight deficit.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    i eat at a deficit, and i do stronglifts. i don't think i'm gaining muscle, but my strength is getting MUCH better, i'm close to doubling my bench press and i went from squatting with just the bar to doing 165# squats. Once you get down to a bodyfat % you are comfortable with then you can start with some bulking and cutting phases to gain muscle.