So are we with the right partner?

Options

Replies

• Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Good post. Like it, will have to share with my husband.
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I just read the same thing on Facebook!

Love it! Great post!
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I have been together for 18 years (started dating when I was 16) we creep our teenagers out because we still date! He will tell the kids not to talk to his wife that way (not their mother). But we figured about 7 years ago that we better get back to the point of dating and loving being together cause once the kids are gone we are all we got! We love being together and he truly is my best friend, and me his. We have rediscovered what we enjoy doing together and have started planning our post kids life together. Afterall our youngest will be 18 when I'm only 36, we have a lot of years to look forward to.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    While what the OP says may very well be true (I've not been in a long enough relationship IMO) it is sort of depressing. I think most people want that love to last 5, 10, 15, 50 years. Food for thought though regardless.

It can last you just have to recognize it as it changes from that first giddy feeling to something deeper. My husband is my home. We still hold hands, say I love you throughout the day and spend as much time together as possible. We've been together 10 years, married 8.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I heard something similar a while back. "You have to make your partner fall in love with you all over again every day."

Pfffftttt.... That's a good way to set yourself up for failure *LOL*
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Good post. Like it, will have to share with my husband.

Thank you.

I like my post too but I'm not willing to share it with your husband.
  • SniffyDoodle
    Options
    I love it, but I'm not sure that it goes far enough. It fails to mention that when you put the work into a relationship those feelings can come back. And they can come back even stronger because you have built an even stronger bond. This article almost makes it seem like you can only experience that automatic, effortless love once, then you are doomed to a lifetime of *work*. Who wants that? And who wouldn't wonder if it was worth it?

My husband and I are about to celebrate our 18th anniversary in June. There have been ups and downs all along the way. Each time we hit a low point we just remind ourselves and each other, "we've come this far, we will get through this too", and we actively work together on resolving whatever the issue is. Each and every time, when we come back up from that low point it's even better.
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I like that a lot. thanks for posting!
  • LibertyBelle89
    Options
    love this!!! can def relate
  • SniffyDoodle
    Options
    While what the OP says may very well be true (I've not been in a long enough relationship IMO) it is sort of depressing. I think most people want that love to last 5, 10, 15, 50 years. Food for thought though regardless.

Yes, it does seem depressing. That's what I was trying to respond to in my post.
  • BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I have been together for 18 years (started dating when I was 16) we creep our teenagers out because we still date! He will tell the kids not to talk to his wife that way (not their mother). But we figured about 7 years ago that we better get back to the point of dating and loving being together cause once the kids are gone we are all we got! We love being together and he truly is my best friend, and me his. We have rediscovered what we enjoy doing together and have started planning our post kids life together. Afterall our youngest will be 18 when I'm only 36, we have a lot of years to look forward to.

Now I'm usually a love cynic .... however, this right here is adorable
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I like this. :flowerforyou:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

The author then noticed that there was a large man sitting next to her so he said....

And why is his size relevant? SIZIST!

Or would it be Sizeist?

Whatever, I'll just stick with Racist, it's easier.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    As long as they are hot, I don't care.

And bendy
  • jenbrenica
    Options
    Definitely agree to this:)
  • SniffyDoodle
    Options

We're doing the same thing now! Kids are getting older and we're excited about all the things we will get to do together when they're gone!!
  • BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I heard something similar a while back. "You have to make your partner fall in love with you all over again every day."

Pfffftttt.... That's a good way to set yourself up for failure *LOL*

24576822.jpg
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    As long as they are hot, I don't care.

And bendy

How YOU doin'?
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options

There's a ton of truth to this. I think it is crucial in a marriage to keep dating each other. It is so much easier said than done with little kids but there is always, always time for it.
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options

The problem with this is it puts responsibility for someone else's feelings on your shoulders. I was married for 11 years. In the end, my husband just wasn't willing to prioritize the work of maintaining the relationship. There was nothing I could do to make him want to put the effort in. I was already doing everything in my power. If I was supposed to "make" him fall in love with me "again," that seems awfully similar to a stalker trying to "make" his object of obsession love him. We'd consider that a mental health issue. Love may well be a decision, but it's not one you can "make" for somebody else.