Ladies Only !!!

Options
How do i make it through my diet when mother nature has given me my monthly gift? all i want to do is eat and sleep today. HELP?!

Replies

• PureAdamic
    PureAdamic Posts: 185
    Options
    Ladies Only !!!

I am not bound by your rules!
    How do i make it through my diet when mother nature has given me my monthly gift? all i want to do is eat and sleep today. HELP?!

Self control
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options

Just push through it. As you continue on your weight loss journey and through your lifestyle change, it will get easier. Drink lots of water, so try a glass about 10-15 minutes before you eat. This could help you feel full sooner and less likely to snack later. I've heard eating an apple is a great way to get a boost of energy without loads of caffeine, unless you want coffee of course (I do love me some coffee. :wink: ) Also, the more you start moving, the less sleepy you'll feel.

It's my TOM as well, so I was feeling just like you last week (I always feel lots of fatigue the week before I start.) It'll get better, I promise. :flowerforyou:
  • SorchaEilis
    SorchaEilis Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's okay to go a little over your calorie goals during your TOM. Your are hungrier than usual because your body is using more energy in the week leading up to and during TOM. As long as you aren't eating gallons of ice cream and heaps of chocolate, a little extra fuel is okay.

Here's one of many decent articles on the subject:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/4-ways-your-mentrual-cycle-affects-your-workouts.html
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and distract yourself. Go on many walks as well. Or take a nice bath( light some candles and turn on some music ).
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Ladies Only !!!

Self control

... And this is why you said ladies only, I think.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    you buck up and deal with it because it's your period... you are going to keep getting it, every month, until menopause
  • Broadzilla007
    Broadzilla007 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Exercising will make you feel way better. As for eating, try this for a "treat." 2/3 cup plain greek yogurt, one small banana mashed, 2T powdered Peanut butter, splenda to taste. It's about 250 calories and really good for you. (except the sweetener but it's better than binge eating).
  • wykyd
    wykyd Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm going through this as well. I'm finding that as has been said, walking and stretching has helped. Small snacks that are low in calories. A bit of your "thing" to settle the cravings. And then a little more exercise. All I typically want to do on my first day is crawl into bed but moving really did help.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    I saw ladies only, so I rushed on over! :bigsmile:
  • kannesalinas
    Options
    I agree! I always have a thing for potato chips during my TOM. :laugh:
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    Sleep and drink crazy water/tea! I had TERRIBLE menstrual problems in college, and it was all I could do to get out of bed some days without puking. But lots of water and naproxen and tea with honey & lemon make it better.

If you're on the cravings front, I find that it's better not to completely deny them. I mean, don't go eat a whole giant bag of m&m's or something, but if I need chocolate, I'll just have a square or two of some dark chocolate and put the rest away for other emergencies. :) If you're after a salt fix I've got nothing. There's always popcorn (I use my popper pretty much every day...), but that might exacerbate the snack factor.

Also, if you think you want to eat something, drink a big glass of water first and see if maybe your body's just craving hydration!
  • lisaloo826
    lisaloo826 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I posed this question to my sister, a nutritionist, a few months back. Her suggestion - suffer through as much as you can, but then indulge with one amazing dessert/treat. Make it special, in a fancy dish, at a restaurant, etc. But just the one so it doesn't throw you completely off! It sucks, I know, but at least you have something to look forward to!
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Ladies Only !!!

Self control

... And this is why you said ladies only, I think.

I was thinking the same thing and I'm a lady, just because you want it doesn't mean you can use your TOM as an excuse to have it. Tell yourself no, I dont NEED that cookie, you'll make it a week I promise.
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry eat more. Just eat wisely.
    If you are craving sweet - eat fruit
    ...............................salty - eat nuts
    ................................ carby - whole grains

So long as you don't eat a bunch of crap you should be fine. I have seen success in cutting (5 bf% in 3 months / 7 lbs) while having 1 wkly cheat meal + 2 "off diet" days. (of course, I eat very lean the other days) - but the point is, balance / moderation.
  • SCtolulu
    SCtolulu Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Then sleep. It will keep you from eating:)
  • CMGoodie
    CMGoodie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm there with you right now....me I'm eating pickles for the salty and savory, but allowing myself to exceed my intake a little to satisfy cravings. I told my trainer, I am so craving something salty and for me chips are out...but the pickles work.

As for the ice cream craving....I have an ice shaver for snow cones, but I use it to shave a bowl of ice and eat it plain. Since I like the taste of shaved ice, it acts as a cheat desert for late night cravings with no calories.

Only down fall......BRAIN FREEZE.
  • jennamt87
    jennamt87 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I tend to work out more when I have my monthly friend. For me personally, I've found that it not only helps to ward off chocolate cravings, but also helps alleviate any cramps! Even just a quick walk around the block is helpful!
  • maddogg82
    maddogg82 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I saw ladies only, so I rushed on over! :bigsmile:

HA! :laugh:
  • saraedens
    saraedens Posts: 54
    Options
    Don't starve yourself!!! You have mentioned before that you've had a hard time getting to your calorie goal so, this week should be no problem! :)