How often do you weigh?

Replies

• dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    in the beginning, every monday.

now, 2 years later, about once a month.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    I weigh myself daily (which is how often it seems this subject comes up on MFP. :tongue: )

1. It really helps to learn just how volatile scale weight can be. I'm a "normal" weight guy, and yet my weight fluctuates as many as SIX pounds in a day, and is almost always a pound or two different. Weighing weekly does *NOT* make this volatility disappear. It's still in the numbers. The sooner you realize and accept that this happens, the sooner you can stop fretting over (or rejoicing over) every single pound. Establish a solid plan, execute the plan, and don't get hung up on whatever the scale tells you on any given day.

2. I'm a nerd and I like the data.
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Every Saturday, first thing in the morning after I pee.
  • Fabu_lass
    Fabu_lass Posts: 122 Member
    I Weigh every day, but log weekly, and take measurements monthly, it's going okay with that at the moment. When I was weighing weekly only it was harder for me to keep track and like a previous poster the weight could creep up for the week, now every day I keep an eye and that has helped me keep down each week
  • KBGAgent
    KBGAgent Posts: 165 Member
    Every time I pass the scale, even if I just weighed in an hour before, I know its the wrong answer, but its true. It's not as bad as it sounds because I don't have a working scale at home.

On MFP, I always record my first weigh in of the day.
  • Maridinger
    Maridinger Posts: 74 Member
    Every morning so I can track whether or not I lost or gained and then change what I did the previous day if needed. Ive lost 60 lbs doing it so its not an issue for me.
  • purplelizzard
    purplelizzard Posts: 93 Member
    I officially weigh in every Thursday, but I will weight myself to see if I am losing or if I am gaining.
  • lremi
    lremi Posts: 59
    I weight daily-ish but I only log once every 2 weeks so I feel more accomplished lol
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Every day since I'm a obsessive compulsive about having feedback and data to work with. If I don't know what's going on until the "official weigh in day" once a week and I've gained a pound or not lost any then I've lost a week of potential results. I understand that if you're not in any particular rush to be on any schedule then this may seem a bit obsessive.
  • spantz1
    spantz1 Posts: 17
    Daily, but I only log it if I have lost weight. If I see myself go up too many day in a row I know there is something wrong.
  • fatfrost
    fatfrost Posts: 365 Member
    I weigh several times everyday. First thing in the morning and then after breakfast and before and after lunch and after dinner..

I would too if I looked you like you. lol
  • Kathe2
    Kathe2 Posts: 31 Member
    Every morning. Of course I also worry every morning when I have not lost any weight. I am on maintenance and so not need to lose more, but of course I still am hoping....
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    I'm obsessed with my scale. I weigh in everyday sometimes twice. I record any loss and then that's the weight I try to beat. Gains I don't worry about unless they stay for more then two days. Trying to always beat my lowest recorded number keeps me motivated. I do measurements usually once a week!
  • kevinrbarger
    kevinrbarger Posts: 87 Member
    I weigh about weekly. It used to be on Wednesdays, but now it's either on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. Whenever I remember, really.

When I first started to try and lose weight, I would weigh myself every day. Since I didn't know about normal fluctuations during the day it was highly discouraging. I didn't understand it at all and it made me give up. I felt like I was punishing myself for no reason, and I never got results.

Weekly works much better for me. Even if all I see is a point or two drop, it's awesome. If I weigh myself and find that I weigh more than I weighed the previous week, I just wait and weigh myself later in the day, or the next day. Usually I end up weighing less that way. Am I fooling myself by doing that? Yes. Am I still looking smaller and having issues keeping my pants up and having people notice that I've lost weight? Absofreakinglutely. So I know that what I'm doing is working.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Once a week, usually Wednesdays. I'm not trying to lose weight, just want to keep it in check.
  • colobon
    colobon Posts: 49 Member
    I weigh myself daily but have one "official" weekly weigh in day. The daily weigh ins give me encouragement when I'm doing well and a warning when I'm not so on track. They also allow me to see the temporary effects of TOM or one day of eating the wrong things. I can learn to roll with it and know the temporary weight will drop off in "x" days.

The official weekly weigh in gives me a goal to work toward each week. I chose Tuesday to help keep me in control on the weekends, yet have one day to recover!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    I have my recorded weigh in on Tuesday mornings right after getting up, but will usually hop on the scale again one more time later in the week just to see how things are going.
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    I weigh in twice a week, Mondays and Fridays, but record my weight on Fridays. This way I can have a small splurge over the weekend but check myself afterwards.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    I only weigh myself once a week. I decided to way every Thursday on the Wii Fit & a regular digital scale.
  • nskerr
    nskerr Posts: 91
    Once a week unless the number seems out of whack. For instance last week I went to the gym 4 times and although I had a large Easter dinner that should have been burned off by the following weekend. When I got on the scale it said I gained 1/2 a pound. Now I did have 2.5 slices of pizza for dinner the night before but I was annoyed and said something must be wrong. I waited 3 days and weighed myself again and I was down almost 3lbs. But in general I weigh myself Saturday mornings since weekends are usually when I go out to dinner or have some drinks.