How much do you spend on groceries?

Options

Replies

• kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options
    about $50 a week if i broke it down weekly. a majority of my food shopping comes from Sams Club though. I buy a lot of food cheap there and it lasts me two weeks, sometimes more.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I live in California and we spend about $100-$125/week for my boyfriend and I. We also go to Costco for bulk items once or twice and month and those trips are usually around $150 each.
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I spend about the same amount as I did when we were eating unhealthy. (about $150 a week) The only difference is now is I feed 3 instead of 2 now. I buy my son some extra stuff that I don't eat.

So I would say eating healthier is cheaper then eating unhealthy.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Far too much. Things like free range chicken breasts, wild alaskan salmon, fage greek yoghurt, tuna steaks, avocado and duck eggs really add up here in the uk. I ended up spending about £50 today for my staples for the coming week(though the chicken breasts, duck eggs and the veggie burgers and tofu will last longer than that)

I'm coming to your house. {looks for passport ~ finds it - damn it is expired.}

Haha. Anyone would think I said I have a supply of gourmet pizzas in the freezer. Most people do not find the sort of food I eat that appealing.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Usually about $100-150 per week. but really it varies a lot. there are some weeks where I can eat the same thing all week and be fine and then others not. lol. Also depends if I get motivated to use what's already in the pantry/fridge. household items included in this.
    oh- 4 people. 2 young kids. hubby, but he is only home on fri-sun usually, so i dont have to worry about him.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    about $50-$150 every 2 to 3 weeks for just myself.
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    an average of $50 per week just for me, i guess. this is when i don't eat out. of course, i'm not a big eater. and i don't buy junk or fast food.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I'd say about 500 a month for 7 people.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I spend about the same amount as I did when we were eating unhealthy. (about $150 a week) The only difference is now is I feed 3 instead of 2 now. I buy my son some extra stuff that I don't eat.

I would think that depends on what unhealthy things a person used to eat. I used to eat ramen for dinner every week day and lunch was 2 things from vending machines on campus every week day; my unhealthy eating was so cheap lol.
  • aumint
    aumint Posts: 19
    Options
    I shop at a local Co-op, so my prices are doubled compared to a typical grocery store...but for myself I spend roughly $150 (give or take) a week. I should also make note that I am gluten intolerant so I literally only buy produce and meats (which are really expensive at a Co-op). When I used to shop at a regular grocery store I spent somewhere between $70 - $90 a week depending. It may be expensive, but I think it's worth it to have good quality food rather than genetically altered food, but that's my own opinion.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    it really depends on sales. WE normally buy our meat about 4 times a year when our store has the buy one get one free and we freeze most of it for later uses. However, I find we spend a lot less the more we buy fresher, cleaner items, like fruits and veggies. Recently went to the asian store and spent $60, but there was a LOT of stuff!

I shop for 2, and it sometimes feeds last minute guests
  • Paganrosemama
    Paganrosemama Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    We spend $200/week on average for me, hubby and 7 year son.
    and eat 5-6 dinners a week from our kitchen.
    We all bring our lunch from home during the week and eat out on the weekends.
    That is a mix of fresh and convenience foods. I tend to eat cleaner than hubby does.
    I eat dinner leftovers or salads for lunch.
    Hubby eats sandwiches, Chunky Soups and snack foods for lunch.
    Son also eats sandwiches, with fresh fruit and some sort of processed snack for lunch.

We are in the mid-west so mid-to-low cost of living. But still, we pay more in groceries than we do for our mortgage, taxes, insurance and more in gas than our 2 car payments. Totally backwards.

This is almost exactly like our midwest household- when we can actually afford organics, grass fed meats, whole grains etc... we spend about $200 week, for me hubby, and 8 year old son. We buy lots of fresh veggies and fruit, local cheeses and ...

But currently our food budget $125 week- so we cut out some organics and whole grains (except our bread), very little soda (for hubby), chips, and almost no baking sweets... and shop at Aldi's instead farmers markets... we do however grow lots of our own veggies and frezze/can them, and raise our free range poultry for both eggs and meat to supplement. I cook most everything, and we rarely eat out...
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I spend a ton on groceries, I admit it. I like to cook and to create and we like really good and fresh Ingredients.

I will usually spend about $100 per week just to stock up on fresh fruit, veg, dairy stuff for hubby, non dairy stuff for me. We tend to shop twice per month and I will typically spend from $200-$300 each time. Im pretty sure all added up I spend about $650 to $800 per month on groceries. This includes all our toiletries and cleaning products but that is a small portion of the total.

I do have a big family dinner at least twice per month for about a dozen people but all of that cost is actually just for my husband and I.

Once we started eating better we realized that it make all the difference choosing organic as much as possible and premium cuts of meat. With smaller portions I make what we have amazing, but like I said I do enjoy creating in the kitchen.

The cost of much of the food here in British Columbia, Canada, is likely quite a bit higher than other places in the US though but my personal choices are the culprit for sure.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    How the hell are some of you people spending so much on food? Is it coming in gold packages? Is it "organic" food? Does it come with a prescription of Unpretentiousil? I know I'm a single guy but I'd say maybe $200 tops. For the winter: frozen veggies in big bags are maybe $5 a pop. Chicken breasts in bulk from Walmart are $1.99 a pound. Canned beans because I'm lazy are $0.60 or so. Fish, big bags of it are $5-10 frozen. Protein powder $30-40 a month. Also, for the summer, two words: farmers market.
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    About $175-$200 per week for 2 adults, a 14 year old and a 16 year old. That includes paper products, cleaning supplies, laundry supplies, health and beauty items and pet food for 2 cats and 2 dogs.
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options

I would think that depends on what unhealthy things a person used to eat. I used to eat ramen for dinner every week day and lunch was 2 things from vending machines on campus every week day; my unhealthy eating was so cheap lol.

I was just saying for me, I don't know about other people. Plus prices are different everywhere. So eating healthier for me is a bit cheaper then when I was eating unhealthy.
  • i_luv_irs
    i_luv_irs Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Something like $150 - 200 per week for two adults and an eight year old. I live in NYC and we primarily buy fruit and produce. Packaged goods I usually buy organic or natural brands.
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Around $60 for my partner and I's dinner, also including my brekky and lunches. He has separate meals to me (other than dinner) cause he eats a lotttt of food haha.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Family of 3, $225 per week, which includes cleaning supplies, detergent, paper towels, etc.... And all groceries delivered to our home.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    Myself, my boyfriend and my son (age 4)

$200-250 every 2 weeks.

We try to limit takeout to once a month.