I like beer

Options
...and wine
...and gin

It's a bummer. I just switched to light beer when I go out with hubby (about 1x/week or every other week). I also love red wine. Not really complaining, just a bummer that they cost so much in calories.

What were you bummed out about having to give up or at least be careful of?

Replies

• creatureofthewind
    Options
    I like beer too. If I am going to drink a lot of it, I make sure I put on some good jams and dance my heart away. I am buzzed anyway so I don't care who is looking lol XD it's how I keep most of the weight off.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Drinking is such a huge part of our culture - community full of college students.
    Except, I just stopped drinking because it was such a detriment to my health. I still party, but I do not drink.
    I relaly do not like drinking that much anymore. So weird. Anyway, I have to watch out for trail mix and nut mixes. Those cashews and honey roasted almonds are my kryptonite!
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I still drink but I toned it down to only a couple times a month. Once a week at most maybe. And on those days I won't eat as much.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    This is the only time I drink my calories, I have a whole section in my diary for it. I usually try to save the drinking for my weekends, so going over just a little hasn't killed my progress.
  • BrennLinn
    BrennLinn Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I gave up beer for a while, which was really hard because I love a good hoegaarden, or bluemoon.
  • danni_l
    danni_l Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Drinking is such a huge part of our culture - community full of college students.
    Except, I just stopped drinking because it was such a detriment to my health. I still party, but I do not drink.
    I relaly do not like drinking that much anymore. So weird. Anyway, I have to watch out for trail mix and nut mixes. Those cashews and honey roasted almonds are my kryptonite!

This is part of the issue, drinking is such a big part of our culture its such a hard thing to quit. itsjenetics - well done for stopping, its a hard thing to do.

I still drink, but in moderation and I make sure I give my body a month or so off every now again again. When I stop it really hits me how OK it is to drink and how abnormal it is if you dont!

Maybe you could try giving up for a while, some time off would be good to gain some willpower and maybe some insight into why you drink. I apologise if this sounds judgemental, but this is just the experience I had when I quit for a while.

It is hard to stop, but it really is an eye opening experience which I would recommend!

I cant drink beer as I have "wheat issues" but I tend to stick to vodka & sodas due to less cals and carbs (Im a low carber).
    Or if Im treating myself and its a nice sunny day I will have a cider.
    Also a fan of red wine!

As with everything, its all about moderation! :)
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Booze
    Drugs
    Crap food
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Life is too short to drink light beer. I simply make a choice between beer and dessert. Dessert usually wins. Being on MFP has made me learn that I truly do enjoy chocolate more than beer.
  • jsjp
    jsjp Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like to go out a few days a week and drink anywhere between six and eight beers:-) i just adjust for it that day and workout a little longer:-) I gave up cigs a year ago, i dont want to have to give up my beer too.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Why do you drink light beer? That stuff is garbage. I drink full flavored craft beer and just have one or two when I go out. Its much more filling and actually has taste.

I can come up with 200 - 400 calories once or twice a month for it.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter.
    Ribeye steaks.
    Nuts.
    Fast food cheeseburgers.

I haven't given any of them up completely, but the peanut butter is only very occasionally. I sub it with PB2 once in a while.
    Beef we still have sometimes, but very portion controlled. 4 oz. instead of 12. INstead of one whole steak, we split it in half.
    Almost never because they are just so calorie dense and I could eat them by the pound. I used to eat a lot of pine nuts on salad. Seldom do that now, and when I do, I weight the little buggers. Still LOVE cheeseburgers, except that now they make me feel bloated the next day. Too much salt and fat and my palate has changed., but once in a while (like twice a year), I just gotta watch the grease drip into the basket at Red Robin. and exercise like crazy before/after.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Miller lite tastes good btw and low cal!
  • tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I gave up everything but my red wine, my cardiologist said it might help me relax etc, soooo, I got started on it and enjoy it very much. I no longer take a boatload of meds for my health issues - so it is a trade of sorts, just not a lot of horrid side effects. I could give it up, but I enjoy it too much, maybe next year. LOL
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Miller lite tastes good btw and low cal!

Yeah. I respectfully disagree with "tastes good" part of that statement. Fat tire has 150 calories per 12 oz and has a huge amount of flavor. For real.
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I miss my girly, fruity drinks. :( A smoothie that you get drunk off of!
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I like beer.

I don't miss it...

..because I still drink it!

200 calories a couple times a week is not going to ruin your diet. Unless you're the type of person who can't do it in moderation, there's no problem with having a beer.

... Also, B VITAMINS, amirite!!??
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Me too. I refused to give it up though, I just used it as motivation to work out. Now I work out 5 days a week like clockwork, and get to enjoy my beer. Best of both worlds.
  • gowrirao81
    gowrirao81 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Definitely wine! I have managed to swap most of my food cravings for healthier options but nothing fills my wine hole :sad:
  • TomTomato
    TomTomato Posts: 223
    Options
    I brew most of the beer I drink. Moderation is key. Make allowance for it once in a while if you like it. :drinker:
  • tothemoonalex
    Options
    I use drinks as my weekly cheat, instead of eating pizza or something