Strength training with no weights?

Options
So I've always been a fan of cardiovascular exercise, but I know how incredibly important weight training is.

Problem is... I'm intimidated by it. I don't know what to do.

I have a small gym in my apartment complex that has a lot of free weights and weightlifting benches/bars. I know a few exercises that I can do with light (very light) weights for my arms, but the smallest free weights in the gym are 10 pounders and... I'm just too weak.

Can anyone give me some good starter moves, even if it does mean using the 10 pound weights?

Thanks!

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    You can do DB squats, bent over DB rows, DB bench, and DB OHP to start.
  • CMGoodie
    CMGoodie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Do body weight training to start with; use your body weight to work with you for starters. Remember to feel the muscle you are working....if you don't you are doing it wrong.

Triceps: Find a chair or a bench, sit on it, place arms beside you, legs in front bent at a 90d angle. Move forward off the chair and dip, using your arms to bring you up..not your legs. Do a set of 5-10 reps to start with 2xs. If you want some weight use invest in 3lb dumbells for starters or elastic bands.

Lying on your back.....lift tricep above your head, keeping your elbows at a 90d angle, and lifting straight up, then control the downward motion and repeat. 1 set of 10

Chest: Push-ups - Use the bench, assume pushup position and go. If this is too hard, do them against the wall until you can do 10 then move to the bench or counter or even on the floor if you can.

Bicep curls - 1 set of 5 for starters...then graduate to 10. Remember to hold/squeeze for one count at the top, control the motion down.

Modified for rows - lay on a bench, pull-up weights to bust line, squeezing the back muscles, and control downward motion. Do a set of 5 and graduate to 10. Then once you have that mastered, go to bentover rows.

Deadlifts (hamstrings): Legs slightly wider than shoulders, stick butt out (feel glutes), pick up weights. Lift by bringing butt up slightly, straightening knees (should feel hamstrings engage), and come up. Set of 10.

This is just a small example of what you can do with body weight and 10lb dumbbells for starters.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Check out the book 'you are your own gym' - it has tons of body weight exercises. Push-ups and squats will take you quite a ways by themselves.
    I just started the program from 'new rules of lifting for women' and most beginners moves in there that call for extra weight, were easy enough to do with 10lb. Don't forget, you can use a barbell without plates, if there is one. Or use phonebooks etc for extra weight.
  • VegKate
    VegKate Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've put on 10lbs of muscle doing yoga every day. It uses your own body weight to build muscle.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Crunches, squats, lunges, and push ups are all body weight exercises. Here are pictures and descriptions

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/blnoweightwkout.htm

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/basictraining.htm
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Read either Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women. It will introduce you to the weights and exercises you should be doing. It will give you a routine to begin with. It will give you the confidence to walk into your gym knowing that you have a plan that you will carry out.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    If it's bodyweight exercises you want to start with and you end up wanting to go in that direction, I recommend a great book with clear descriptions, photographs and programmed routines from starter to elite.

It is a book called "Convict Conditioning" - sounds gloomy but it's a no nonsense plain and simple book with sensible progressions; all bodyweight.

Also, easy to follow and no-nonsense is anything on You Tube by Al Kavadlo; also has his own website full of useful stuff.

Gym or no gym, above all - have fun!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I've put on 10lbs of muscle doing yoga every day. It uses your own body weight to build muscle.

SeemsLegit1_zpseb2e59b9.gif
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

:huh:
  • Butterflyblue_
    Butterflyblue_ Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Read either Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women. It will introduce you to the weights and exercises you should be doing. It will give you a routine to begin with. It will give you the confidence to walk into your gym knowing that you have a plan that you will carry out.

These are both good and I started with New Rules

If you are intimidated by the weights in general try body weight to start and as you grow stronger start adding in weights Its all with what you are comfortable with

Here is a good link for some bodyweight routines

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/workouts/
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options

Sell your genes.
  • teamike
    teamike Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are doing P90X and we just have a couple of db and a pullup bar. Lot's of pushups, pullups and lunges. I am seeing just as much as I ever did lifting heavy weights. However, my diet is is better than it has ever been. But yes I totally believe you can strength train without weights.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    orly20baby.gif
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    orly20baby.gif

STOLEN. :devil:
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

There is no need to be snide, immediately. Having a bad day, are we?
    If she says she has begun doing yoga and she has gained 10 pounds of muscle, how can you prove it is not related?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

There is no need to be snide, immediately. Having a bad day, are we?
    If she says she has begun doing yoga and she has gained 10 pounds of muscle, how can you prove it is not related?

Building muscle is incredibly difficult, even harder for a woman. Building 10lbs of muscle lifting heavy weights without roids would be a challenge, doing it using yoga is quite honestly unbelievable. Feel free to do some research before criticising people who are correct in their disbelief. :noway:
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    edit: no - I won't bother.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Building muscle is incredibly difficult, even harder for a woman. Building 10lbs of muscle lifting heavy weights without roids would be a challenge, doing it using yoga is quite honestly unbelievable. Feel free to do some research before criticising people who are correct in their disbelief. :noway:

It's a Yoga thing - you weight-lifting folks wouldn't understand. :flowerforyou:

No it's a science thing, and just because we do weights doesn't mean we don't do yoga :noway:
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Seconding the recommendations of You Are Your Own Gym (there is a book and an app), Convict Conditioning, and Al Kavadio's youtube channel.