diet pills

Options
Hi, is anyone taking any diet pills to help with the grueling process of losing weight?

Replies

• tasson
    tasson Posts: 37
    Options
    Most experts/researchers suggest not using diet aids. Just be patient and stick to your calories. You will lose the weight and be able to maintain the loss a lot easier. The pills suppress your appetite, so you do not learn to control your cravings.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    yes
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Stick with diet and exercise.

Diet pills don't work... if they did no one would be here. Diet pills can severly harm you as well. Even those listed as all natural doesn't mean they are healthy or safe. Also keep in mind, since diet pills are labelled as suppliements (like vitamins) are not regulated by the FDA.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I will save time and tell you that most of your responses will be: No they are a waste of money, No they will harm you, No losing weight is calories in vs calories out and exercise - not from some magic pill, No there are no magic pills, No if they worked why would we all be here, No pill will let you eat whatever you want, No there is no easy way to lose weight, No Doctor Oz sucks, etc...

I think that covers it. Just getting it out of the way in a nicer manner than some other responders. If you have any specific questions or products let me know, and I'll try to give an honest, open opinion. :wink:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    MFP is a learning tool. Plugging in foods, and adding exercise all seems tedious, but .... you are learning things about your eating (and exercise) habits.

The more you learn ..... the easier it will be to keep weight off. The problem with pills .... you don't learn how to keep the weight off. Pills won't "teach" you what changes you need to make.

You will read a lot about "lifestyle changes" ...... these are permanent changes you will make to keep the weight off for good. I've tried pills .... yo-yo effect for me.
  • Carbcounteronly
    Options
    I saw a great post today,
    'you don't need diet pills, fancy shakes, or crazy gadgets. All you need is a pair of running shoes and a sports bra!' (if you are a woman). I think it definitely applies.
    Exercise, and eat whole, healthy foods. Correct portions. The fundamentals are actually quite easy to understand :-).

All the best, and good luck!
    Jac
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Sure, plenty of people do. Aren't you curious as to how healthy and effective they are though? Or are you just looking for people to validate your current decision to use them?
  • EmAnCiNaS
    EmAnCiNaS Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I heard about these..

http://howtoloseweightquickdiet.com/diet/GarciniaCambogiaDiet/

and is dr. oz that is recomending them.. but MFP members say pills dont work.. i dont know what to believe either...
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I heard about these..

and is dr. oz that is recomending them.. but MFP members say pills dont work.. i dont know what to believe either...

Definately don't believe Dr Oz. He pushes whatever pill the company tells him to so he makes money. Just because Dr Oz says it works doesn't mean it does. He has turned into someone who just pushes whatever he gets paid to knowing people will listen to him because of the "dr" in front of his name.
  • EmAnCiNaS
    EmAnCiNaS Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I heard about these..

Definately don't believe Dr Oz. He pushes whatever pill the company tells him to so he makes money. Just because Dr Oz says it works doesn't mean it does. He has turned into someone who just pushes whatever he gets paid to knowing people will listen to him because of the "dr" in front of his name.

where there be someone out there rude enough to use his title just to make money? wouldnt that jeopardize his "position" and title?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit and exercise!!! It's that simple!! :wink:
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I might lose some of my friends over this, but I do take them.

I'm a complete head case, and i mainly take them as a motivator to get to the gym. I figure if I'm gonna pay for diet pills I better eat better and work out....even though a good diet and exercise alone will make me lose weight.

yeah, I'm crazy.
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    Options
    yes

Same, i enjoy the use of diet pills.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I heard about these..

where there be someone out there rude enough to use his title just to make money? wouldnt that jeopardize his "position" and title?

I'm not a fan, mostly because I'm at work or in the gym when he's on, but just to be clear...

Dr. Oz does not endorse or produce any products. Anything with his name or picture on it is being used without authorization - so you don't want to buy those. Dr. Oz does not promote any specific products and does not make money from selling products - he makes money from advertising slots based on number of viewers just like every other talk show. He continually talks about weight loss and labels too many products with hype inducing names like "miracle in a bottle". That does not negate the actual product but does tarnish his name/show as over promoting these products to gain larger viewership. Just like local news stations will hype the ‘What’s killing your kids? Tune in at 7 to find out!’ Dr. Oz uses key phrases and sensationalism to grow and keep a large audience base.

Dr. Oz has a link for reporting any products or companies that are using his name or picture here: http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/mehmet-oz-md/my-name-profit-not-anymore
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Drinking a lot of coffee probably has more effect than most OTC diet pills.
  • amehime
    amehime Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I used a few different diet pills when I was in college, and didn't find them all that helpful. I would tend to just be even hungrier when I went off them, and some would keep me from sleeping at night. I do not suggest them, but I do really like green tea. It is somewhat controversial about its effectiveness (as are most weight loss products), but I drink it (not green tea pills) throughout the day. It tastes great with no sugar - and is therefore a great replacement for other drinks, and its caffeine is pretty mild so you don't get energy spikes and crashes like you can with coffee. Plus I find I'm more hydrated this way. Anyway, the slight calorie burning boost (once again, this part is a little controversial) is a great bonus with no real side effects. Any green tea is good for you, you don't need to buy pricey "weight loss" green teas, just find something that tastes good, and make sure you don't over steep it (usually 60 seconds max.)
  • SarahDavs
    SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I lost 40-50 pounds in a pretty short time by taking phentermine, a prescription diet pill 5 years ago. So some do work. But I gained it all back during a pregnancy. And it didn't work on me the 2nd time around, my doctor says that sometimes if you take a pill then stop, then try to take it again it won't work the second time around. IMHO there is nothing wrong with taking diet pills, some people need that extra boost, nothing wrong with that.
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I heard about these..

The product on that website smells like a scam to me. If you look at the comments, you'll see:
    1: The word "Comment" is not spelled correctly. This proves that the website is not professionally done, and raises huge red flags about the product they sell.
    2. There are two comments on the same day, different times, different user names, that are word for word identical. This says to me that the "comments" are all faked.
    3. No comments from before 1/22/2013 and none after 1/27/2013. This convinces me even more that the comments are faked. If the product worked as advertised, why aren't more people raving about it?

It doesn't matter what the product is. If the website is unprofessional, if the comments and testimonials are obvious fakes, I don't trust the company or the product, and I won't be sending them any money.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    If you consider a daily multivitamin and fish oil "diet pills," then sure...