Do you add all food to your log?

If not, how low does the food need to be to be omitted?

Ex. would you add a 25 calorie food?
20?
15?
5?

Replies

• AndrewXB9
    AndrewXB9 Posts: 114
    I add everything.
  • springs47
    springs47 Posts: 82 Member
    I add everything as well. I thought twice about adding a 15 calorie sugar packet, but then I thought that if I give myself an inch I'll take a mile and I'll start omitting other things. And it all adds up!
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    I add everything that has calories. I know some people track their macros and micros closely but I have seen some unreliable counts for those numbers so I don't trust the database completely. Also, I recommend looking up calorie counts for spices, most are low but some are not as low as you would think (ie they should be added)
  • Rottnme
    Rottnme Posts: 167 Member
    Isn't that the point? If you aren't, the only person you are cheating is yourself.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Today there are 10 items in my diary with less than 30 calories...in total they = 203 calories. So, if I didn't add those, and I ate to my calorie goal, I'd actually be 203 calories over my goal. Considering my calorie goal only has a 250 calorie deficit in it...well, it's kind of a big deal then since I've pretty much shot my deficit to **** by not counting those items.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    I add everything except sometimes not certain condiments like mustard, a few pickle slices, red wine vinegar...if it has sugar or fat (ketchup, mayo, etc), then yes, otherwise for just a single serving of something like that I don't bother. (Edited to add - this would basically be only in the case of a sandwich, and I haven't eaten a sandwich since 2012, lol, so obviously it's extremely infrequent.)

I also only add coffee (which technically has a few calories per cup) if I'm adding something with calories to it like cream, etc. Other than that...I log everything, doesn't matter how few calories.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    I don't count unquantifiably small amounts of something. Like if I licked a dribble of spaghetti sauce off my finger, for example. How the heck would you figure that out? So I don't bother. I try not to let it happen very often though. Otherwise, I count everything I put in my mouth, even down to sugar free gum or a cough drop.
  • DirtyTrickster
    DirtyTrickster Posts: 202 Member
    I can see the pint, if you have multiple items.

For me on the other-hand, if I eat a pickle, a piece of butterscotch candy, drink black coffee or coffee with a little cup of creamer (10 calories) I usually don't add them
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Nope, there's stuff like that scone I ate and all of that biscoff I had for lunch that I can't really account for. So what I do is leave 5-600 cals open at then end of the day for things like this and keep a mental note.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    I usually add everything but I did have a couple bites of mac and cheese the other night and didn't log it because I had over 200 calories left over for the day and I was done eating. Didn't log it but I know I was under calorie for the day.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    I'd say less than 5, like I don't add things like garlic & onion & seasonings used for cooking. If its veggies or somethign though, I do add it.
  • Kimi103
    Kimi103 Posts: 9
    I'm horrible. I don't add any.
  • Derpinaaa
    Derpinaaa Posts: 70 Member
    I don't log things like a stick of gum or a bite of my boyfriend's sandwich. Too much stress for me. But I tend to eat at least 100 calories under my goal to account for these things.
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    i add everything. even when i binge - the 'in 5 weeks time you are going to be gaining all the weight back youve lost within the past year' note usually puts me in my place :P
    i think the past year i had _one_ day i didnt log - new years eve. and i was on definitely less than 2000kcal then, in fact i was super sober and in bed around 1am hah! im getting old.
  • mzteebell
    mzteebell Posts: 44 Member
    Yes, add everything! Otherwise, your numbers will be skewed.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    I add everything I eat. Sometimes I forget to add water to the list, but I always fill the little glass.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    I add everything-usually before I even eat it. If I didn't, who knows how fast the 15/25 calories of whatever I didn't add up would be. I'd rather have it all there than lie to myself and not put something in
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    I don't add my coffee but I do add anything I put into it. Sometimes I leave out individual green vegetables when I'm eating a dish that contains a big pile of different ones, and sometimes I'll just record it all as one type of vegetable. When you start getting into anything with a color other than green though, the calories add up.
  • mstyer2790
    mstyer2790 Posts: 38 Member
    I try to count everything. Because even if you eat 1/3 of a cookie or something, maybe that's 50 calories you didn't even register that you ate. If you do that a few times a day, it could add up really quickly!
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    I add everything as well. I thought twice about adding a 15 calorie sugar packet, but then I thought that if I give myself an inch I'll take a mile and I'll start omitting other things. And it all adds up!

Exactly this!
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    I add everything with the exception of the occasional stick of gum or Crystal Light to-go.
  • highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    I add everything, even my vitamins. Mustard, even though it has zero calories, has sodium and I keep track of that too. Sometimes, but it's rare, I will leave out a bite of something (not sure how you log a bite) if I have calories left over for the day. I like to look at my diary and know that it contains everything that I ate that day right down to my fish oil supplement.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    I add everything because I track nutrients as well as calories.
    And as for calories, small amounts add up big time, especially when you have a relatively low calorie goal, like I do.
    So if I steal one of my kids' chicken nuggets or eat the crust of their pizza, I'm logging it.

It also helps me to think twice about sticking it in my mouth.

eta: I don't log water, though or most cal-free beverages though. Not sure why not.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    I'd say less than 5, like I don't add things like garlic & onion & seasonings used for cooking. If its veggies or somethign though, I do add it.

Me too. I also don't log bites of complex dishes - like I don't really know if that forkful of lasagna was 1/20th of a piece of lasagna, and I don't care - but if it's a simple food I will log it, like a spoonful of ice cream I will log as approximately 1/8 of a cup. And I log coffee, which has a measly 2 calories. I don't know, I have my own sort of rules that I stick to. We'll see when I weigh myself in a few weeks if they work or not. :smile:
  • VegKate
    VegKate Posts: 55 Member
    I put absolutely everything. It keeps me in the habit. I even put in diet coke, even though it has no calories, because it has other things like sodium.
  • jjeddy
    jjeddy Posts: 26 Member
    We call those BLT's. (bites, licks, tastes). And yep, I add them to my log because they can add up fast if you don't.
  • Penny427
    Penny427 Posts: 166 Member
    I used to tally up every stick of gum, squirt of mustard etc..I was making myself crazy & this has to be a lifestyle change not an obsession that makes me so calorie counting nuts that I get burnt out and quit. I decided to chill out a bit and for me, its helped me stay sane.
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    I log everything but the olives in my martini....
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    I add everything with the exception of the occasional stick of gum or Crystal Light to-go.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    i try to since i am as interested in my nutrients as my calories!