Don't get me wrong, protein is great but...

Options
1235»

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Veggies ARE protien and I always have a HUGE salad every day :)

I hope you're not relying on veggies for your protein unless you're consuming them by the pound.

You can quite easily rely on your veggies for your protein. People need to research their protein more. Everyone thinks meat because it's high in protein is some end-all be-all of protein. Well to you I say look into Amino Acids. When you eat veggies your body is able to process it much easier than say beef from a cow who created its protein from the veg it ate btw...hopefully the meat is at least organic so you're not also getting all sorts of other crap that was used to "beef" up the cow for lack of a better term. But anyway when you're eating meat your body has to actually break down the protein you're consuming to turn it into useable amino acids and a lot of the actual amount of protein you think you're consuming is lost in that process. I challenge everyone to research "Amino Acids"

I don't even know what you are trying to say. What is your argument exactly? Please be specific and don't use generic phrases like "amino acids" because we all know that Essential amino acids cannot be made by the body, and must be supplied by food......We also know that proteins are polymer chains made of amino acids linked together by peptide bonds. Please explain to me how these plant proteins are handled differently than the meat proteins during the digestive process. (in regards to either non-essential and/or conditional)
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    I ate 4C of broccoli at lunch

so basically you are farting every 30 seconds.... lol

I kind of wish I was....but no.....so far nothing.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Please name a veggie that is a good source of protein....
    Legumes... beans, peas and lentils

Legumes are Legumes. Not veggies

Definition of LEGUME

1 - a : the fruit or seed of plants of the legume family (as peas or beans) used for food
    b : a vegetable used for food

Source: Merriam-Webster
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options

Definition of LEGUME

1 - a : the fruit or seed of plants of the legume family (as peas or beans) used for food

Snap!
  • aram832013
    Options
    Definitely! It's so important to get all food groups in your diet. For lunch I'm waiting on my Tyson - All Natural Chicken Breast Tenderloin, 8 oz and Little Farm - La Huerta Skillets - Mexican Garden, 2 cup to be ready, which will be in the next minute or so.

Edit: In response to OP.
  • fly_butterfly
    fly_butterfly Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yep! just had some cauliflower and those cool fractal broccoli things.

1311279955.99734596s.jpg

Oooohhh my...is that some type of weird $EX toy?? :noway:

Hummm? That's bizarre that's what came to your mind first. :bigsmile: It looks like some type of hybrid marijuana plant IMO. :flowerforyou:
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options

Definition of LEGUME

I stand corrected. I still don't consider them a vegetable though. They are a class of their own, IMO.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    Anyone else with veggies that are a great source of protein? I am really interested.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Anyone else with veggies that are a great source of protein? I am really interested.

I'm with you, I believe that meat & eggs (pastured, grassfed) are the BEST source of protein. But I guess legumes are the second best, maybe?! I dunno...
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options

Not as much as meat but
    POTATOES
    Protein, Fiber, Vitamin C and Potassium
    Add Greek Yogurt, Cheese and Bacon for more protein and yumminess.
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options

I hope you're not relying on veggies for your protein unless you're consuming them by the pound.

You can quite easily rely on your veggies for your protein. People need to research their protein more. Everyone thinks meat because it's high in protein is some end-all be-all of protein. Well to you I say look into Amino Acids. When you eat veggies your body is able to process it much easier than say beef from a cow who created its protein from the veg it ate btw...hopefully the meat is at least organic so you're not also getting all sorts of other crap that was used to "beef" up the cow for lack of a better term. But anyway when you're eating meat your body has to actually break down the protein you're consuming to turn it into useable amino acids and a lot of the actual amount of protein you think you're consuming is lost in that process. I challenge everyone to research "Amino Acids"

I don't even know what you are trying to say. What is your argument exactly? Please be specific and don't use generic phrases like "amino acids" because we all know that Essential amino acids cannot be made by the body, and must be supplied by food......We also know that proteins are polymer chains made of amino acids linked together by peptide bonds. Please explain to me how these plant proteins are handled differently than the meat proteins during the digestive process. (in regards to either non-essential and/or conditional)

Me an husband grew up on a plant based diet.We are well built personalities.Its not that muscle is not possible without eating meat.
    I occasionally eat chicken or fish,but eating them daily does upset my stomach to a great extent.Most eastern(asian) countries follow a carb based diet. I agree that nutrients from meat are more readily absorbable but at the same time protein is tougher to digest when compared to vegetables.Im not trying to say meat is bad or veggies are bad.Its just the way ones body processes these foods.End of the day if your stomach is not happy -we are not happy.vegetarian foods also complete the amino acid profile required for the body to maintain muscle structure.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options

Protein is comprised of amino acids??? GET.....OUT..... OF..... TOWN!!

Seriously though. If your intent is to exercise and build any amount of muscle you shouldn't rely on vegetables for your protein. You can supplement with vegetable based protein, although it's nowhere near as good as whey protein and it's superior amino acid profile but it's better than nothing.
  • zacherybinx
    zacherybinx Posts: 215 Member
    Options

Seriously though. If your intent is to exercise and build any amount of muscle you shouldn't rely on vegetables for your protein. You can supplement with vegetable based protein, although it's nowhere near as good as whey protein and it's superior amino acid profile but it's better than nothing.

^^^
    I think a lot of vegan bodybuilders would disagree with this statement.

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=videos

Anyway, for some of you who wrote back earlier, here are a few links.

The video below has a good answer to where vegans get their protein from and why plant protein is a better choice imo.
    http://youtu.be/E-iute6dPF0?t=14s

As far as best protein sources, the highest % of protein/source are actually in seaweed, Chlorella is 60-70% and also Spirulina is around 50-60%. And yes, they're "complete proteins"

http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/protein.html <---goes into a lot of facts but also states food sources and their correlating amounts of the essential amino acids that they contain.

Plant Foods Have a Complete Amino Acid Composition --->
    http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/105/25/e197.full

Do Plants Have Enough Protein? --->
    http://www.ajpip.com/foh2/prt1/amino.htm
    http://www.ajpip.com/foh2/prt1/cht.htm <----has a good breakdown of foods and their protein %
    http://www.ajpip.com/foh2/prt2/esk.htm
    http://www.ajpip.com/foh2/cstr/cook.htm

I hope some of those help people find what they're looking for.
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong but, vegetables have from 20%-50% of their calories from protein. LOL

Why does a cow eat grass?

Why do gorillas eat leaves?

Why did Popeye eat spinach?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong but, vegetables have from 20%-50% of their calories from protein. LOL

Why does a cow eat grass?

Why do gorillas eat leaves?

Why did Popeye eat spinach?

Because cows and gorillas have entirely different metabolisms than we do.

And Popeye is a fictional cartoon character and while he does offer some comic relief I don't think he's an accurate and reliable source for nutrition information.
  • Rica0303
    Rica0303 Posts: 2
    Options
    I had Italian quinoa for lunch, awesome!!
  • bumchicken
    Options
    [Cows and gorillas'] metabolisms aren't hugely different from ours. They probably still have the same broad dietary requirements (energy, protein, vitamins).

EDIT: Although presumably herbivorous animals have enzymes that we don't that are able to break down starch and plant proteins.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I ate a baby vegetable medley from Green Giant! It was nommy!
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options

Seriously though. If your intent is to exercise and build any amount of muscle you shouldn't rely on vegetables for your protein. You can supplement with vegetable based protein powder, although it's nowhere near as good as whey protein and it's superior amino acid profile but it's better than nothing.

^^^
    I think a lot of vegan bodybuilders would disagree with this statement.

Really? Tell me how a vegan body builder gets enough protein from whole vegetables without supplementing with vegan protein powder?