Ok runners - do you do it alone, or with a group

Options

Replies

• carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I run with my toddler and my dog. The kid's in a jogging stroller but the dog is pretty good at keeping my pace.

I dont see any appeal in running with another human since i like to blast my music while i run.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    alone..always,always alone.

I'd like to run with company but nowhere near confident enough
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    i do it alone, with another person, but i haven't tried it with a group yet ;)

GIGGITY.

oh, this is about running? (i do that too).

:laugh: :laugh: :drinker: :drinker:
    There. You get double. :tongue:

^^ Haha! cute!! I like running by myself; every so often, I will do longer distances with my sister in law, and the social aspect of it is nice.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I like running alone it gives me a chance to unwind and often think out problems. I used to run with a friend one day a week and enjoyed that too nice to have a good chat but it was more relaxed than my alone runs. I would like to join a club but can't due to family commitments.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've always run alone. I like it - just me and my own pace, my own goals, my own challenges, but I'd also like to see what it's like to run with one other person, or a group (other than racing) every once in awhile. Local running shops have monthly or weekly group runs for all abilities, but it's usually right around dinner time, and that doesn't fit well with this mom's schedule. :tongue:
  • MelissaVoci
    MelissaVoci Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I switch it up. I tend to chat a lot with my running partner, and we walk a lot.... When I run alone, I lose myself in my music, in my miles, and I forget to think about things like "Let's just make it to the next tree...." Sometimes I just want to run it out on my own, sometimes I crave the friendship and the ambition to push through when I run with a friend. My cousin is part of Team In Training, and I think a large group of runners would be fun and challenging. I like to mix it up when I run on my own too, sometimes outside, and sometimes on the treadmill. I don't love the treadmill as much, but I do push myself harder, and then when I run outside, it seems so much easier :)
  • greenihlonde
    Options
    Alone. I like it that way... but that might be mostly due to not having found a compatible running buddy thus far... :smile:
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Alone its me time
  • lukedwr
    lukedwr Posts: 16
    Options
    Alone, in the woods/countryside, at night, preferably it's raining!
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    It's just me and my Zombies, Run 5k app.
  • karibrit
    karibrit Posts: 29
    Options
    I run alone during the week and with a group for long runs on the weekend. I'd get terribly bored if I did long runs by myself plus it keeps me motivated.

Sometimes the group can be annoying--one person likes it be chatty, another wants to go much slower, or different miles---it can be comprise. It would be nice to find a good running buddy for during the week-- the perfect person who has a similar pace, chats when you want to and knows when to be silent at other times. Hard to find that person. There should be an app for that: Rent a Run Buddy.
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    During the week, I run by myself...gives me time to shake off the stresses of the day. During the weekend, I try to run with a group. It's usually my long run of the week and I like doing that with other people! There's benefits to both...sometimes I find, I get stuck in a rut and when I run with a group, there's always someone there to challenge me and push me to a pace that is a little faster than I would normally do on my own.

Feel free to add me for support!
  • Birddog6424
    Birddog6424 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Alone.

For 25 years I have run alone. There have been occasions where I ran with a friend. But by and large I prefer to run alone.

Having someone along messes up my zen....

Edit; I should add I often have a four legged companion. I have had several German Shorthairs over the years to run with. The react thing about having them along is I can focus on my run and they watch out for you. Especially at night. The see things better than you and they react to them and you notice it.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I run alone during the week and with a group for long runs on the weekend. I'd get terribly bored if I did long runs by myself plus it keeps me motivated.

Sometimes the group can be annoying--one person likes it be chatty, another wants to go much slower, or different miles---it can be comprise. It would be nice to find a good running buddy for during the week-- the perfect person who has a similar pace, chats when you want to and knows when to be silent at other times. Hard to find that person. There should be an app for that: Rent a Run Buddy.

I've rented a run buddy before! Thru city running tours in DC. It was awsome! It was great to have a local plan a 9 mile running route from my hotel. I plan on doing this on future trips.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. While I've only ever run alone, I'd be willing to try it with a group who would be of similar pace, and relatively quiet :) - I really like the quiet zone i get into just listening to breathing and footfalls, and anyone chatting the whole way would be downright annoying. Maybe I'll try going out with the group at work and see how it goes.
  • rmd_fitness
    rmd_fitness Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Alone
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I run with my husband during the week and with our running group on Saturday mornings. I've run a few times by myself and found that I prefer company. It just feels weird being all by myself. I guess I am just a social person?
  • mrsmegb
    mrsmegb Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Both... I was doing couch to 5k by myself, then my husband joined me one morning and loved it... so he's now running with me three days a week. It'll probably change again when he switches to day shift, but I still get at least one day in by myself because I love the "me" time.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    For someone with my personality, I believe it would be pure HELL to run in a group. I would most likely drift a little ahead or behind. I hate herds and feeling clumped together. I need my space.

I enjoy running with a partner. I have run with a friend, with my husband, and with my sister. I most often run with my sister, and we are very comfortable with one another and luckily, our pace is practically identical.

My first preference is running alone. I can race myself, take it easy, daydream, whatever. I don't have to worry about slowing anyone down or about them slowing me down. I do what I want.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    post deleted