Who is your biggest supporter? Who encourages you?

Options
I blessed to have a loving hubbie who always lets me know that I am loved. He loved me, when I was 280 pounds. He continues to love me, even when I am being a total pain. He loves me on my good days and my bad days. But when it comes to losing weight, I wasn't sure how he would react.

02-06-13EdandSue_zpsd0f68475.jpg?

Ed has never been fat. His top weight was about 236 pounds. He loves to go out and eat big steaks with fully loaded potatoes. His idea of a green vegetable is corn. Yes. You and I know that is NOT a green vegetable; but he response is, "Look at it growing in the field. It is green." So, I had my doubts that he would be keen about Mama being on 'a diet'.

I was wrong. My loving hubbie has been my solid supporter from the beginning of my efforts to lose weight. He was there, when my surgeon shows us my knee x-rays and told me to lose 70 pounds in order to qualify for surgery to replace both of my knees. He was there, when I started out consuming nothing but Equate meal replacement shakes and bars. He was there, when I joined MFP and started counting calories and eating regular food again. He has been the one who physically supported me, when I couldn't even take a few steps without falling. He has dragged my wheelchair in and out of our van for many months without complaint. He is the one who pushes that wheelchair most of time and makes sure that I am able to go places that I couldn't go without his help.

Did he complain even once about what he had to do for ME? Did he complain, when we weren't going out for steak dinners? Did he mumble about the lack of sweets in the house, when I emptied out the kitchen cupboards and gave away boxes of food to our neighbors, "because I don't want to be tempted." No. He never complained. In fact, he started reading the labels on the food in the store to see, if he could find better foods to have in the house for me...AND FOR HIM.

That's right. Ed joined me (well sorta) on the path to getting healthier. He still eats a lot things that I won't, and he eats more food than I do. But that makes sense. He is a man...an active man. He can burn those calories. He has even lost some weight...about 20 pounds so far.

Do I resent him losing weight? Some days. I was wanting to weigh less than him, and he keeps moving the mark. If he had not lost weight, I would have passed him by now. :laugh:

Am I glad that he is losing weight? Yes. I love this man, and I want him to live a long, healthy life...with me.

I love my sweet hubbie, and I am so grateful that God gave me a loving partner in my life. I couldn't have a better companion and supporter in my efforts to lose weight.

Who is your greatest supporter? Who encourages you? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've got a fine man by your side.

My friends and family aren't unsupportive, but they aren't terribly supportive either (which is fine). I really get my biggest support from my wonderful mfp friends. They are the ones cheering my victories, answering my questions, giving advice and humor on topics the rest of my family & friends no nothing about. I did this all solo for many months and was very successful, but it really is nice to have people in your corner.
  • zilliegirl
    zilliegirl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My biggest support is from my 14 year old daughter she is wonderful,She'll say your gonna be the hot mom at the pool lol or my friends are gonna think your my sister and I'll say no my moms just hot lol
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    That is such a wonderful thing you just posted.

My parents and my boyfriend are the most supportive people ever, i am a really hard person to love and they are so amazing..

PS. I LOVE YOUR PICTURE OF YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND AT THE DOCKS IN CORONADO

im from san diego too :)
  • carolynhart01
    carolynhart01 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    WOW!. I am touched my your story. You two are so lucky to have each other. My biggest supporter is mu hubby but my biggest motivators are my kids. Good luck to you and just think, you are so close to passing him, that just gives a little extra motivation when you need it :)
  • FitToBeKim
    FitToBeKim Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My biggest supporter is my oldest daughter. She has always been there for me and encourages me in a uplifting way at all times. She is fit, and healthy at 25 and takes very good care of herself and her daughter and their health. She eats right and goes to the gym and takes wonderful care of her daughter !! They are such a happy little family :)
    SHE is my inspiration !!
    Without her support, encouragement and love I wouldn't have lost this 30+ lbs. I probably would have given up !
    I just can't thank her enough and she keeps telling me I've done it all on my own but that just isn't true. It is all her doing !
    Love her so much !
    (Proud Momma here !)

Great thread !
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    PS. I LOVE YOUR PICTURE OF YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND AT THE DOCKS IN CORONADO

im from san diego too :)

That photo was taken on my birthday in February. We had a lovely lunch at my favorite restaurant (Peohe's) in Coronado. I planned ahead with the help of the manager and chef for a lunch that stayed within my calorie limits for the day. I even had leftovers that evening...without guilt. That made the day even more special.

Ed and I recently moved to Apple Valley, but I grew up in Chula Vista. San Diego County is the most wonderful place to live, but we had to move to help with a church in this area. Ed is a pastor; so, we go where God calls us. I love our new home, but my hometown will also be Chula Vista. :smile:
  • midwesternwind
    midwesternwind Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My daughter Katey is my biggest supporter. We are both in this losing weight lifestyle, wanting to be fit and healthy. She is also a member here on mfp. We both talk about what we eat, what we should eat, what exercise we have done and what we can be doing it. Katey is 24 yrs old and in many ways more knowledgeable on the weight loss game then I am and I appreciate this. Thank you Katey for all your support!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    LOL@supporters.

I let my haters be my motivators:)
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I am.
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've got a fine man by your side.

My friends and family aren't unsupportive, but they aren't terribly supportive either (which is fine). I really get my biggest support from my wonderful mfp friends. They are the ones cheering my victories, answering my questions, giving advice and humor on topics the rest of my family & friends no nothing about. I did this all solo for many months and was very successful, but it really is nice to have people in your corner.

My MFP friends are an inspiration, and they have helped me to make wiser choices in my foods. I have learned a lot from my sisters and brothers on MFP. Their experience and success are keep me on track. My daily food plan commitment is made to THEM. That commitment keeps me honest, when I am tempted to slip in some extra calories. :wink:
  • BreeNJesse
    BreeNJesse Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My hub!
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer is my biggest cheerleader. He actually just told me this morning that helping me change my life is what makes his life worthwile. He roots for me during my bad weeks and goes crazy over my victories (literally picking me up and swinging me around!).

My brother is probably my second biggest motivator. He's a trainer too, and I talk to him constantly about fitness and nutrition. He's always there to answer my questions.
  • Craig_hyde
    Craig_hyde Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, my MFP peeps. In real life, just me. Other people encourage yet don't push, although saying that. A very close friend sat me down & told me how well I'm doing, how proud he is of me & that it encouraged him.
  • Prisme
    Prisme Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I must say it is my trainer. We have been working out for 8 months now and he has changed my thinking completely. Always motivating and teaching me new things about exercise and always giving me wonderful recipes and tips on food choices.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for that. That was such a lovely and refreshing read.

I would have to say I am my biggest supporter. :)

But, I love all the support I get from MFP. There is such a wealth of knowledge, commitment, and courage among MFP members. It just motivates me and keeps me going.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    BlackStarDeceiver's mom
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I have a lot now. From my wife, to trainers, to my cardiologist and those who were around when I had the heart attack two years ago.

They are all here now. https://www.facebook.com/ICU2Marathon
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    My ex-girlfriend. She's an amazing person, and she's always told me how good I look now (In a very positive way).
  • ShannonS2714
    ShannonS2714 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My biggest supporter is definitely my husband....he stands by me no matter what, tells me I am always beautiful and that he loves me every day, regardless of my weight. He pushes me to work my hardest and encourages me to keep at it.

All of my MFP friends encourage me....in way of inspiration. I see what they are able to achieve and it makes me want it even more! I know it can be done and that I am the only thing standing in my way!
  • aarikadanielle
    Options
    Honestly my two biggest supporters are a co-worker and my personal trainer! Those two have been by my side and kept me accountable the whole time and continue to do so as well. My family is supportive but when it comes to the diet and exercise part of it, they are my main support! I am so thankful for them. I reall hope that my trainer and I remain close after I accomplish my goal, he has been such a huge part of my life for almost 6 months, I would be very sad to see him disappear.