What was YOUR motivation to start this journey ?

Options
Everyone has their moment where they are officially fed up with their weight / build .
What was yours?

Personally , Mine was when I realized I had stretchmarks ( very few ) around my stomach from gaining weight so fast . It literally made me cry . I'm 18 . I should not have them . THAT was the moment I decided enough is enough .

Share yours ! It helps ! :)

Replies

• FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Found the size tag in my jeans...when I bough them I couldn't find it they fit was all I knew...when they started NOT to fit, I thought well going to have to go to a 22.. later that day found the tag they WERE a 22 I was going to need a 24!....
    Had been a 24 once before and swore I would never go back... but there I was at a 24 again... So started listening to my Mom and joined T.O.P.S.....
    That was 6 years and 119lbs ago...
  • evandhimes
    Options
    The Balance Board for my Wii Fit would not allow me to use it due to the weight limit. I found out that said weight limit was 330 pounds, which was way more than at any other point in my life. I decided then and there that enough was enough.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    wedding photos. now my goal is to get to the weight i want to be and hire a photographer to take some nice pictures of me and my hubby :)
  • KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Mine was to either have a bigger set of pants for work or do something about it before I got any bigger. Never going back to that weight again!!
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    New Year's Eve 2011 was the night I decided somethings had to change. Deck Crawl on a Mountain...What could possibly go wrong?. It hurt so bad and I was so out of breath to climb the hill from one neighbors house to another's. Yes, most people were having trouble but I didn't want to be one of them. I wanted to be sprinting up those hills and not worrying if I'd be puking off the deck when I reached the top.
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    When i bent over i the office at work and my size 26 (uk) trousers split, luckily i was alone in the office that day but i vowed i wasn't going to need a size 28. I have still have a long way to go but i'm a size 16 now and shopping is becoming fun again.
  • nnicolelilliann
    Options
    My mother who has been a single mom my whole life and has believed in me no matter what, my grandparents who have loved me unconditionally.. I would love if they could see me under 200 pounds before they die! My boyfriend and our future, got to loose some pounds to have a baby! Overall be confident in my own skin and love who I am!
  • Goddessmaker1
    Goddessmaker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I want to date a swell actually attractive man one day and being fat isn't helping that cause. The health reason such as high blood pressure is also a motivator.
  • AlexT29
    AlexT29 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When I realized I had been saying "tomorrow" for years. I don't want to be the fifty year old that is looking forward to retirement so I can sit on my butt and watch tv all day.
  • shellbellnz
    shellbellnz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Several reasons. Some being I didn't want to get bigger and bigger and struggle with my weight for the rest of my life like my mother does and like I have seen so many other people do, my clothes not fitting anymore, feeling sluggish, feeling embarrassed when I saw people who hadn't seen me for a while, feeling better about myself, fitting my clothes so I didn't need to buy a whole new wardrobe. The list goes on. I was also starting to not want to go out and meet friends because I wasn't feeling good about myself.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    October 2 2010, at the doctors office....weighed in at 315lbs, results from blood work showed that i was just about a diabetic...

something had to change or i was going to either die or lead a miserable life with serious medical issues...

fast forward two and a half years later...149lbs lighter, blood work shows that im in excellent physical health with my body working just as it should....

who says you can change your life for the better? excuses are like *kitten*, everyone got one...

be the exception, not the rule!!!
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Look at a picture of myself at my heaviest of 165. Worst thing ever.
  • gracetoo
    gracetoo Posts: 29
    Options
    When nothing I owned fit anymore, I couldn't keep up with my kids and my unfortunate sisters husband called me a "fat b***h" to my face. Now when I see him I can thank him for calling me a b***h, because if he thinks I am one, I must be doing something right. ;)

I want to be around for my kids and enjoy life with them, not just watching from the sidelines.
    I started this journey as a weight loss thing, it has evolved into a being healthy and fit thing.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    When, at 32 years of age and at least 240 pounds (probably more, honestly). I was told I had elevated cholesterol and was pre-diabetic. I wasn't happy with my looks, but being told I was basically killing myself was the spark that got it going. Feeling like I look better has been a pretty swanky side effect, though! I also really dig things like being able to fasten my seat belt without sucking in my gut or shifting my weight to one side and buying clothes at regular stores. But the biggest thing was seeing normal blood pressure again.
  • shade0343
    shade0343 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My physician laid down the law to me.

I was taking statins for my triglycerides, which were too high. The side effects made me miserable. I was also sneaking up on being diabetic (Type III). I didn't want to live on medications for the rest of my life. The side effects of diabetes are pretty scary. I wanted to be able to get through a day of work without being wiped out too. Fortunately I have a really great friend who was kind and supportive even when I got really overweight. Having the good example AND being told the truth by the doctor got me moving. :)
  • missability
    missability Posts: 223
    Options
    Beginning of October 2012, My one and only, and very UNEXPECTED, angel of a 2 and an half yr old grand-daughter, asked me to get on the floor to play dinosaur rescue with her.....when I said I couldn't she said, "but why grammy"?...WHY????That was a good questions! WHY? Because I let a a husband beat me down (not literally) into a self-esteemless, rejected, 304 pound pile of self pity-ing,refuse! That's Why!!!<<<<Was I gonna tell her that? HELL NO!!!! So I decided that night...she would have a Grammy who could get on the floor and play dinosaur rescue with her, walk with her on the beach, take her to Disney World ....AND give her a lot more years of me and my time! I have been here 102 days, I am down 41 lbs and 26.5 inches, and come HELL OR HIGH WATER, I WILL BE THAT GRAMMY SOON!!!
  • missability
    missability Posts: 223
    Options
    Beginning of October 2012, My one and only, and very UNEXPECTED, angel of a 2 and an half yr old grand-daughter, asked me to get on the floor to play dinosaur rescue with her.....when I said I couldn't she said, "but why grammy"?...WHY????That was a good questions! WHY? Because I let a a husband beat me down (not literally) into a self-esteemless, rejected, 304 pound pile of self pity-ing,refuse! That's Why!!!<<<<Was I gonna tell her that? HELL NO!!!! So I decided that night...she would have a Grammy who could get on the floor and play dinosaur rescue with her, walk with her on the beach, take her to Disney World ....AND give her a lot more years of me and my time! I have been here 102 days, I am down 41 lbs and 26.5 inches, and come HELL OR HIGH WATER, I WILL BE THAT GRAMMY SOON!!!

<<<<Oh yeah I forgot to add that my profile picture, is my miss Kaelyn Rayne all decked out in her Dinosaur rescue get up! How could anyone refuse a request with that looking up at you?!!! My angel!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I looked at the calendar and said "Holy crap, I'm old!" If not now, when?!
  • katrinajMiles
    katrinajMiles Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Got really sick with gastro and lost a few kgs in a week and wanted to keep them off.

A week later I had a drunk D&M with my brother who just started using this site and just faced up to the real issue why I was overweight. Bad habits and no commitment to really wanting to change anything.

Yeah you can go around saying i want to loose 20 or 30kg but if you aren't really serious about it nothing will happen. I had been going around for years trying to loose weight but I'd always compare myself to someone else and think it's not that bad.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    March 23, 2012. Something just told me it was time.