How far do you drive to work

Options

Replies

• juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    7 miles each way, 5 days per week. Probably spend about $10/wk on gas. Drive a Solara w/a 6 cylinder engine.

ETA: 3/4 of it is highway, and I wish I could ride my bike.
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    one hour one way
    ford fusion 07
    $50/week in gas

My job is one hour away from home and my school is a half hour away from both therefore I drive an average of 400 miles a week.

I am looking into a Prius C for gas mileage my car gets about 27mpg the Prius C gets 50 so I am looking forward to the savings.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    30mile one way
    300 mile a week
    $60-70/week on gas
  • JennyJo23
    JennyJo23 Posts: 33
    Options
    Well it takes me 3 minutes to get to work and if I didn't have to carry my bag and laptop I could walk to work. But I travel for my job quite often so I can't give you a good estimate.. I drive a Ford Freestyle and it's pretty good on gas mileage..
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    People do what they have to do in order to work. I was literally raised to think that a short commute is a matter of quality of life and should be hugely considered when deciding where to live and work. My husband and I can both walk to work, but realize that is not a common set up.
    Makes me sad to know how much time and petrol are being spent en route to and from the grind.

So many jobs are in far flung suburbs around here that living downtown doesn't even help everybody.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I drive about 25 miles each way; with traffic it taks about 40 minutes to get there. I spend probably $30 or so a week in gas. I drive a 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer.
  • aspahr11610
    Options
    I drive about 6 miles. I used to have a 40 mile commute and hated it. Especially on days I worked in the evening. Now I spend about 40-50 a week in gas. When I was commuting my gas budget was $450.00 a month. I love the $200.00 gas budget a lot better!!!!
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    32 miles one way ~ +/- 1 hour, depending on traffic
    Ford Focus
    approx. $50/week
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    double post
  • springs47
    springs47 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have to go about 18 miles and it usually takes me anywhere from 20-30 minutes depending on traffic...both car and tractor traffic lol I drive a 2012 F-150 and it takes over $100 to fill my tank up from completely empty, but that lasts me almost all month because it has a 36 gallon tank.
  • 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    0 for me (sahm) but my huband drives 45 miles (90) round trip. He has a company vehicle so no gas out of pocket. Wouldn't have it any other way we love living in bfe.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Used to be 2 miles when we lived in MA. 6 minute drive, 12 minute bike ride, 20 minutes on roller blades, and 30 minutes on foot.
    Had a tight after work schedule so I mostly drove. Had to get home and then drive with the kids 18 miles to go to karate class :).
    I still managed to put over 20k miles on my Jeep every year.

Now in NC, I have a 7 mile drive one way. I made it longer when I had my Beull. Had to add more twisted roads:bigsmile:
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    - I drive 40 miles each way, 5 days a week
    - I drive a caddy
    - I fill up atleast twice a week. So I spend about $80 - $100. I only get about 17 - 19 mpg. I should get a Toyota.
  • Increditim
    Increditim Posts: 159
    Options
    70 miles round trip - $90.00 a week in gas.

Hearing damage from BLASTING music during commute.

Speeding tickets from eye in the sky.

I love my job and my truck - so - life is good.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    When I took my new job, I decided to choose an apartment within walking distance from work, and it was definitely one of the best decisions I've ever made. I walk about 20 minutes each way.
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    - 40 miles each way, 5 days/week. Takes me about 40 minutes to an hour depending on traffic (I only take 1 freeway the whole way there)
    -I drive a Ford Fusion
    -I fill up about once/week, and it costs about $50-55 if I'm near E.

I miss my days of having a 5 minute commute :(
  • feather314
    Options
    0 miles - I have the luxury of working from home. I connect to my office (in another state) via a VPN connection.

I do however have to drop the kids off at school/daycare in the mornings. It costs me $80-$90 to fill up our 2012 Durango depending on the gas prices and a tank will last anywhere from 2-3 weeks depending on how much other running around we need to do.

We are also lucky in that hubs has a company vehicle and they gave him a gas/maintenance card.

Before our local office closed my drive took maybe 10-15 minutes each way. At the time we had a Stratus and it cost around $30-$40 to fill the tank about every 2 weeks.
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Live 10 miles from work
    Drive 1999 Dodge Durango

What we have been spending is a lot more than we should have been because my husband worked on the day shift and I worked graves and I cant drive for medical reasons. So he has been not only driving himself to and from work but me as well and then back home after dropping me off. I worked my last grave last night and am switching to days as of Tuesday for various reasons, this being one of them so we expect to be saving a ton of money on gas. It generally takes about $80 to fill our tank.
  • cfilipi74
    cfilipi74 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It's take me about 40 - 45 minutes to get to work (30 miles one way). I drive a 2003 2-door Ford Focus and I fill up 2 days a week and spends about $30 to $40 twice a week.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    7 miles round trip, but I go home for lunch every day, so 14 miles a day. Way too much traffic to try to bicycle to and from work.

I drive a 2010 Toyota Highlander. I put $50 in it every two weeks. My vehicle is usually the one we use when we are running errands on the weekends, which is the only reason I have to gas up every two weeks.