30 lbs in 10 months?

Options

Replies

• katiedidit1
    katiedidit1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    How are your measurements? I was just feeling like I wasn't making any progress (literally just now) because the scale hasn't changed in a little while so I grabbed my handy dandy measuring tape and low and behold I have shed another 1/2 in. off my waist.

Check your measurement and get back to us. However in the walk to the measuring device of your choice grab a stick of celery and a piece of cheese :) Keep it up! Your worth it!
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    When I plateaued, I changed my calorie goals based off the "in place of a roadmap v2". Its helped but Im still not back to losing like I was. Im very close to giving up as well. However, I know that if I do, I will most likely start to gain and then have to start all over again.

If youd like a new friend (even though Im also struggling), feel free to add me.

Take care.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Given you have supplied us with VERY little background information, not much can be said.

Be happy you are down 30 and not up.

Suggestions for assistance through forum posts:
    1 Open your diary
    2. Give us your stats - Height, weight, age, sex to verify your BMR
    3. Weekly weight loss goal.
    4. Workout regimen if you have one.
  • evolutioner
    Options
    You need to take a step back and relax , because its incredibly difficult to lose weight when anyone's under tons of stress. Your thyroid is over taxed due to the high levels of stress that you have , reasons is that the thyroid controls your metabolism and it handles stress too. It happens to me alot with work and my fat loss goals so what i do is just take a week off and that re chargers my batteries. Then get back right on that horse. Oh and i eat tons of fruit during that time such as melons , oranges , grapes, apples ect.. they uplift my mood but then again i am mostly a fruitarian/vegetarian. So yea hope that helps.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for real help- not just venting, open your diary. If I needed someones honest feedback, I would do that, and be prepared for the direct things you will hear.
    Weight loss starts and finishes with diet. Exercise is key, you need it, and it will help tremendously- but if you are not realistically tracking your food correctly, or your exercise is over estimated, you can set yourself up for failure. But no way to know if you don't let those you are asking see the diary

As said somewhere here below- quitting is the best way to ensure you will not lose the weight
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Given you have supplied us with VERY little background information, not much can be said.

Be happy you are down 30 and not up.

Suggestions for assistance through forum posts:
    1 Open your diary
    2. Give us your stats - Height, weight, age, sex to verify your BMR
    3. Weekly weight loss goal.
    4. Workout regimen if you have one.

LIKE!
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I am to the point of wanting to give up. I have been on this journey for 10 months and I have only lost 30 lbs. TEN MONTHS! That's a long time to work so dang hard and see such minimal results. I stay below my calories, I eat filling, nutritious foods. I try my hardest to stay away from processed/high fat/sugary...etc foods. I work out 5-6 times a week religiously and I am still not losing weight. I am in tears as I write this because I want it sooooo bad but I can't seem to get it. I have not let it get me down until now. Now I am just exhausted from trying so hard.

I know everyone is going to respond with...."oh great job!" "Good job on losing 30 lbs" blah blah blah and I am to the point that I don't even care about the 30 lbs. It's tearing me down. It's NOT a great job. If anything the 30 lbs is defeating me. I have a 3 year old and I really want to have another child but I feel like my weight is holding me back. I just am tired and sick of worrying about every little thing in my mouth and trying to squeeze in working out after working full time and raising a kid and being a wife and taking care of a house. I am mentally and physically exhausted.

What do I do? Where do I go from here? Is it pointless because that is totally how I am feeling right now.

OH WOW... im sorry your so frustrated! and I can totally understand.. I lost 30#'s at about 3-31/2mo in on mfp.. and now at 33 (half my ticker goal).. it depends on how much you have to loose also.. like if yuor only need another 10 or so to go it will be harder vs a higher amount of wt to loose... and I agree with other peeps on here... I started mfp on the dumb 1200 calories and at 231 pounds that was just ridiculous.. did it for 3wks then upped to 1380 then again to 1480 (and now at 1580) and am 4mo in on mfp.. and am loosing wt.. and faster since upping cals.. and I too work out a lot.. daily walks/jog.. gym (zumba, body pump, bike).and I eat most my exercise calories back also.. and drink a TON of water and no diet soda.. you need to chang up your routine.. like upping your calories.. or upping them a few days then low one day and higher again.. "trigger' your body/metabolism... but 30#'s lost is a LOT of wt.. and is awesome.. but yes I too would be upset after 10 mo.. so something has to give for u/change :flowerforyou:
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    A few tips:

1. don't give up!
    2. change up your exercise and buy a HRM. If you can't afford a snazzy one, get ANY one and it'll give you at least an idea of what your heart rate is. Get it up to 80%+ - whether by swimming, biking, or running (starting to run got me out of a several month plateau).
    3. what are you eating? are you sensitive to any particular food group? play with what you eat... it may be that you're sensitive to dairy or gluten or a myriad of other things. cut out certain things and see if you feel better/lose weight.
    4. have you gotten your thyroid checked? see if you have hypothyroidism.
    5. Get your BMR tested with a nutritionist - this is one of the certain ways to know exactly what you need.

You aren't alone... I have been pudgy for the last 24ish years (and I'm 28!) and in the last 15 months, I've (FINALLY) lost 100+lbs after being at a high weight of 383lbs several years ago. YOU CAN DO THIS, don't give up!
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    What you need to "give up" is the internal dialogue. Do the work. Do what it takes to get to where you want to be. Stop listening to you. Just move. Measure. Eat. MOVE!
  • ampage25
    ampage25 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think this is a good idea!
  • ampage25
    ampage25 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i agree with all of you...I do need to open up my diary and be honest with myself.....also....i started seeing a nutritionist. I am now down 40 lbs.....I am feeling much better and on track. Thank you so much for all of your feedback
  • piq0409
    piq0409 Posts: 8
    Options
    I really started this healthy lifestyle journey Jan 1 2012. As of Oct 1 2012 I was down 30 lbs. As of Jan 1 2013, I was down those same 30 lbs.

I was frustrated too. But then I reviewed my up and down history. Through out the course of a year, I often lost weight, but then put it all back on. 30 lbs is something to be proud of. Weight loss isn't something you do, then move on. You have to live it. I had to find a way to be happy that I've gotten rid of that 30 lbs and KEPT IT OFF!

But I still want to lose more. So I visited a nutiritionist. She told me I was the poster child for good eating. So I started to take measurements. Even though I wasn't losing, my body is still changing. I went down an entire dress size without losing 1 lb!

Give yourself a break from the scale if that is what's causing the frustration. Take measurements. Do completely different excercises at the gym. Eat completely different foods. Like a lot of people on here have been saying, you might be estimating incorrectly. Or maybe your body has just caught on to your routine. So surprise it. Try a food you've never had. Use a different spice. Excercise at a different time of the day. But above all, DO NOT GIVE UP!! The frustration you feel now is nothing compared to the irritation you will feel if you let all this amazingly hard work go to waste!!
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what you are so upset over. 30 lbs in 10 months is really good weight loss. I lost 40 lbs in 12 months which works out to almost the same thing. You have nothing to be upset over. You should be happy with how much you've lost so far.
  • Forest777
    Forest777 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    30 pounds in ten months is nothing to put down! Would you rather have those 30 lbs back on your body? :)
    Now you know how to lose weight.
    If you want to amp up your rate, you can start tweaking. Exercise a bit more, be a bit more careful with how you track your calories, you would be amazed at how little inaccuracies can add up. Look for little things you can cut or substitute.

Hang in there, you are doing great! Keep doing what you are doing and just add to it.
  • MadisonLeo
    Options
    THAT IS AWESOME!!!! 30LBS in 10 months means you did it the RIGHT way and that it will stay off as long as you continue a healthy lifestyle.

I would just change up your workout routine. Try a new video or start a kickboxing class. Add more weights. I know weighted squats burn soooo much calories while toning.

Also may need to switch out some of your staples for more fruits and veggies...more raw eating. Or substitute breakfast with a smoothie. I don't know what you eat so I can't really say but that should re-start your losing power.

Also water! !00 ounces minimum per day.

Don't give up. YOu have lost 30 more pounds than the person who hasn't made the effort in 10 months. Be proud!
  • nehmon
    nehmon Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi,

i would love to be able one day to share that i have lost 30lbs in 10 Months. Dont give up you made a major change already.

greetings
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    i agree with all of you...I do need to open up my diary and be honest with myself.....also....i started seeing a nutritionist. I am now down 40 lbs.....I am feeling much better and on track. Thank you so much for all of your feedback

Ooh, a zombie thread, back from the dead! I love those, especially those with a happy ending. Or, at least, a happy update.

What ended up being the culprit? What changes did you make in order to kick start things again? I am very curious.
  • firedenswife2012
    firedenswife2012 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My personal thought is that you are trying too hard. You sound like you are beating yourself up for eating and not happy working out. Weight loss is a journey not a self-dislike opportunity. I personally would look at what caused you to gain weight in the first place because it could be that you are not dealing with emotions that need addressing. I keep a journal of how I work out and log daily. I write in there about how the workout made me feel instead of what weight I didn't lose. Be kind to yourself. Everyday when I get in my truck after a workout I talk to myself. I say stuff like "Wow! You totally rocked that workout, sweetheart! Way to go!!" I also reward myself. I love to swim so about once a month or so I buy a new fun pool toy such as my underwater MP3 player, snorkel, etc. Do this for you and no one else. You are the one who has to live with yourself. Stop looking at the number on the scale and instead at your feelings.
  • RosemarieSenpai
    RosemarieSenpai Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I am to the point of wanting to give up. I have been on this journey for 10 months and I have only lost 30 lbs. TEN MONTHS! That's a long time to work so dang hard and see such minimal results. I stay below my calories, I eat filling, nutritious foods. I try my hardest to stay away from processed/high fat/sugary...etc foods. I work out 5-6 times a week religiously and I am still not losing weight. I am in tears as I write this because I want it sooooo bad but I can't seem to get it. I have not let it get me down until now. Now I am just exhausted from trying so hard.

I know everyone is going to respond with...."oh great job!" "Good job on losing 30 lbs" blah blah blah and I am to the point that I don't even care about the 30 lbs. It's tearing me down. It's NOT a great job. If anything the 30 lbs is defeating me. I have a 3 year old and I really want to have another child but I feel like my weight is holding me back. I just am tired and sick of worrying about every little thing in my mouth and trying to squeeze in working out after working full time and raising a kid and being a wife and taking care of a house. I am mentally and physically exhausted.

What do I do? Where do I go from here? Is it pointless because that is totally how I am feeling right now.

That's not bad! I lost 43lbs after high school 2009 which took about almost a year and a half to do! I wasn't fully committed till the very end. Then the weight came back in 2012 when I worked for fast foods. Which was like 35lbs when I left, but I'm losing some again and trying to keep it off and away from working fast foods. :brokenheart:

If you're struggling, I'm with you on this one! :glasses: :happy: I'll add you so we can do our best together! :smile:
  • prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I joined mid July 2012..lost 25 pounds in 6 months...slow, steady progress...but I wanted it "faster" so I enlisted a nutritionist and a personal trainer and I'm now up 8 pounds from where I was in mid January while I'm busting my butt and eating extremely healthy/clean...VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!

BUT the moral of the story is ...throw away the scale....look at you body fat percentage and your growth in strength, endurance and muscle tone...

also...since I have hashimoto hypothyroidism and the doctors are still trying to get my synthroid level "right"...I'm not expecting weight loss right now..but I'm expecting to lift heavier weights next week and even heavier the weeks after that...my body will eventually heal itself and get to the "weight" it's supposed to be on its own time. I am truly consistent with my nutrition and exercising now and I try hard not to compare my weight loss to my MFP's that are reporting fantastic losses almost daily...that's them...I'm happy for them...

You must not compare yourself to others...or their weight loss...focus on your own "long" journey...and it wouldn't hurt to get your TSH, T3 and T4 levels checked....good luck!!!:flowerforyou: