Will I ever be able to drink too much and eat junk again?

Options
downeyek
downeyek Posts: 41 Member
I know, I know...that's what got me into this mess I'm in now. Years and years of over-indulging and eating crap. I know, I'm an "adult" now and I can't treat my body the same way I did when I was in college...

Man I miss those days though! I miss being able to drink what I wanted and eat what I wanted and then sleep it off until 3 PM the next day and do it all over again!

I wonder if it'll ever get to the point again where I can stop being hyper-vigilant about what I put in my mouth and making sure I get in at least 60 minutes of a burn. Will my body become the calorie burning machine I need it to be to still have "fun"? I'm sure a lot of the responses on here are going to be about "treating myself" occasionally and allowing for "cheat days". That's not really what I'm talking about though.

I guess I just miss the time of reckless abandon!

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    OH COME ON!
    EAT, DRINK, BE MERRY!
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Yes you can, if you want to end up overweight again.

Otherwise sorry, dull answer, no, you'll always have to watch what you eat and not over indulge every day or work out like a demon and eat what you like.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i do! i still drink and eat junk... just not every day! i actually give myself every OTHER saturday to do as i please, induldge, drink myself into no return, eat what i want, and have zero guilt about it... but i know, after that day, its back on track... it was eating junk and drinking on a regular basis that got me into this mess!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I know, I know...that's what got me into this mess I'm in now. Years and years of over-indulging and eating crap. I know, I'm an "adult" now and I can't treat my body the same way I did when I was in college...

Man I miss those days though! I miss being able to drink what I wanted and eat what I wanted and then sleep it off until 3 PM the next day and do it all over again!

I wonder if it'll ever get to the point again where I can stop being hyper-vigilant about what I put in my mouth and making sure I get in at least 60 minutes of a burn. Will my body become the calorie burning machine I need it to be to still have "fun"? I'm sure a lot of the responses on here are going to be about "treating myself" occasionally and allowing for "cheat days". That's not really what I'm talking about though.

I guess I just miss the time of reckless abandon!

reckless abandon... well... maybe not, but you can totally have occasional abandon. the body is amazing at healing itself, and if you USUALLY feed it the nutrients it wants through a whole food diet, you can let 'er rip every now and again with no ill effects. but, as with everything, it's about moderation and balance.
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Don't we all wish we were young and carefree again. Like the old song "youth is wasted on the young"!

Answer: No. But that doesn't mean you can't do it occasionally. (Obviously, the operative word is "occasionally"!) :brokenheart:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You can. That's how I got fat though.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    There is a huge difference in eating like a frat boy on a daily basis and an occasional good time with your buddies. No, you will never be able to eat a large pizza and drink a pitcher of beer all by yourself every night. However you can get your drink and chow on once in a while for a night out with friends.

I like to give myself at least 1 day per month where I don't track my food and eat whatever I want. Some call this a cheat day, I don't like that label since I'm not on a diet so there is nothing to cheat on. I am changing my lifestyle to be healthy and fit.

Also, you will notice once you have been eating healthy for a while, you crave those unhealthy foods far less. Mac and Cheese is still my weakness, but I think I could live the rest of my life without McDonald's again.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to?

I don't see anything wrong with drinking and eating junk once in a while ( It's not cheating.... It's life) but why would you want to eat and drink TOO much?
  • laurenmanderson1
    laurenmanderson1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Now that I am at my goal weight I definitley allow myself to overindulge, I just do it on the weekends. During the week I eat well and try to stay 200-300 calories under my goal (for maintenance) for the day and then on the weekend I do whatever I want. think of it as saving calories for when you really want them! haha :laugh:
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    If you want to gain weight you can. I still have days where I drink several beers, have some pizza, and play video games all night. They just happen much less frequently.

I get that food tastes good and makes you feel happy. If I didn't love how food tasted and eating it was a chore, life would be incredibly boring. The way you talk about wanting to have "fun" by eating with "reckless abandon" doesn't seem like a good way to view it, though. Enjoy food, but learn to enjoy other things as well.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Years and years of over-indulging and eating crap.

This was the problem.
    The rare or occasional indulgent day didn't get you there, doing it consistently over time did.
    If once or twice a month you want to have one of those days, I say: by all means!
    It may or may not slow your progress a bit, so if you're really concerned you could wait until you're maintaining, but I wouldn't worry about it that much. If you're eating healthier, one of those indulgent days might make you reconsider eating crappy again though :laugh:
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    There is a huge difference in eating like a frat boy on a daily basis and an occasional good time with your buddies. No, you will never be able to eat a large pizza and drink a pitcher of beer all by yourself every night. However you can get your drink and chow on once in a while for a night out with friends.

I like to give myself at least 1 day per month where I don't track my food and eat whatever I want. Some call this a cheat day, I don't like that label since I'm not on a diet so there is nothing to cheat on. I am changing my lifestyle to be healthy and fit.

Also, you will notice once you have been eating healthy for a while, you crave those unhealthy foods far less. Mac and Cheese is still my weakness, but I think I could live the rest of my life without McDonald's again.

This!
  • luckyinlove2
    luckyinlove2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you couldn't do it every once in a while--like once or twice a month. My tastes have changed in the past year--I do have occasional days when I have the mixed drinks, beer, or wine that I want, but then I've never been a big drinker. I am not on any specific diet, they've never worked for me. If I have a day where I want cake and ice cream--I take the calorie hit and move on.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    You know what?! Even if you COULD drink too much and eat junk without gaining weight, there are other areas where this would effect your body! Consider what you're doing to yourself. If you got drunk every day, what kind of life would that be? Especially after liver disease kicks in. Who wants that?!
  • funaroma
    funaroma Posts: 3
    Options
    I think you're asking the wrong question.

What I think you need to ask is, "Why must I associate regular (nearly constant?) abuse of my body as when I was younger, with 'having a good time and being young again?"

You are using food and drink to meet an emotional need. It's either the need to "feel young" or "relive better times" or some other very personal reason. What we choose to put in our mouths has as much to do with what's going on in our brain as it does with what's going on in our stomachs.

A healthy diet should not leave you feeling deprived. Rather, it should leave you feeling energized, full of life, and happy. Once you are healthy, you're going to want to STAY that way... and then, when you DO decide to have an occasional "crazy weekend", you won't feel the least bit of guilt about it, because (1) you will have learned how your body responds to such treatment, (2) you will know exactly what to do to "nurse" your body back to health from the adventure, and (3) you'll be able to be proud of having mastered both body and mind in this way.

You're thinking of those things as a loss, one you're having trouble mourning. It's time to ask yourself the right questions, BEFORE you undo all your hard work.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Of course just not as often as you used to! When in maintenance one day a month of going a bit mad wont hurt
  • TorrizzleWillSizzle
    TorrizzleWillSizzle Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Sure you can lol just not ALL THE TIME :) And be prepared for it to POSSIBLY slow your progress.
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    i was a big weekend binger. drinks and food. basically from friday-sunday i was drunk and eating pizza.
    i decided if i wanted to lose weight, i had to cut back. but i still have a social life so i go out for drinks and pizza once every second weekend. it's enough to keep me sane :) and to be honest, i'm starting to not want to go out. i'm sick of the hangovers and how unmotivated i am when i'm hungover.

also, if i'm seriously craving something, i let myself have it. only if it fits in my calorie goal.
    find what works for you. i'm still enjoying life while changing my lifestyle.
  • cljabusc
    cljabusc Posts: 48
    Options
    80/20 rule...

eat healthy 80% of the week, eat/drink what you want 20% of the week.

that means you can indulge and not count calories a couple times a week, and it won't affect your weight loss/body composition.

That doesn't mean it doesn't have negative effects on your body.... (alcohol, blood sugar spikes), but if you don't have health issues like diabetes for example, you will be okay.

The thing with losing weight and keeping it off, is that you have to change your lifestyle and keep it that way. If you want to indulge, then indulge, know your indulging, and savour it, 2x a week or so (not 2 days..... 2 MEALS!) and appreciate the different and delicious flavours that sugar, fat, salt, and alcohol can enhance. and get a little tipsy while your at it. but if you want to keep the weight off, eat healthy and exercise 80% of the week.

think of it this way, in one year there are 365 days..... if you eat healthy and exercise 300 of those days, and indulge 65 of them, (80/20) you will still be keeping a svelt shape and enjoying the things you love. so spread out those 65 days of fat/salt/sugar/alcohol into meals instead of days, and u can still have your cake and eat it too.....
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I eat and drink total junk once in a while, but I really don't crave it any more.