My friend says I look anorexic

Options

Replies

• booncey
    booncey Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen to me about 5 years ago. I had lost 30 pounds and actually felt great, looked great and was happy. I let others' negative comments get to me where I decided to listen to them and quit dieting and exercising. It took a little while for the weight to creep up but I have now gained those 30 lbs back and about 5 extra. It's a harder struggle now to get the weight BACK off for the second time. Do NOT let your friends derail your progress or goals. Congratulations on your progress thus far and stay focused to reach and maintain your ultimate goal. You can do it.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I would defer to what the doctor says & frack the rest.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    What a weird benchmark for anorexia. Visible collarbones? I weigh 210lbs and I've had visible collarbones for a while.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    But you're supposed to see people's collarbones. Peeps be crazy.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    "Anorexic" is not a look. You are at a healthy weight now, tell your friends to keep their comments for themselves.
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are healthy - that's all you can do. People are stupid and petty and have ulterior motives. I see people telling other people when they are too fat, when they are not exercising enough, when they are exercising too much, what they are eating, what they are not eating, ....it's just a way of avoiding their OWN issues.
    Don't mind them! Do what you and your Dr feel is right for YOU!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I would tell her that her comment is hurtful. If she persists after that, it's clearly a hostile act on her part. That doesn't mean that you can't be friends, but it does spell out a serious rift.

Edited to say: never mind. It's already a hostile act. You've done an amazing thing, and I bet that you look and feel fantastic! Just tell your friend that you love her, and don't want to hear any more hurtful comments. Getting past her jealous feelings, or not, is up to her.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you and your doctor know exactly what you are doing :) Ignore your friend and her (hopefully) well-intentioned meddling.

I saw you are training for marathons and tris! Me too.. Less weight is better as fat is dead weight you have to carry around for LONG distances. My profile pic is me last weekend at a half IM, I'm 5'4" and 130 now, but usually race between 120-125. It's mostly muscle and low fat, so yes, my collar bones show too. I don't think there would be a person alive who could look at me and call me anorexic!!!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    i had a "friend" once tell me that i am not allowed to lose weight because then id look better then her. Needless to say she aint my friend anymore

I had a similar thing happen. She didn't want me to lose weight, so she would drag me out of the gym (university gym) and tell me that I didn't need to lose anything. Yep, not friends anymore. And I don't plan on being friends with anybody else who criticizes my efforts to become healthy (minus constructive criticism. If I have bad form or am doing something that will cause me injury, I like to know that.)
  • usflygirl55
    usflygirl55 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Worry about you and how you feel. She can worry about herself and the other people if she wants. You have done so well.. What an amazing loss of 143 :bigsmile: !!! Congratulations. Youve worked so hard and now get to enjoy being the thinner cuter (more importantly, healthier) one. Maybe you will motivate her :smile:
    ^^This!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'd mention all the thin people you know and how you see their collarbones too.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 4.5 inches and there's no way I would look or feel healthy at 130, but your doctor knows best, I guess. Your friend is probably jealous.

How do you know this...have you been this weight and then thought you looked awful?

Just wondering as at 5ft 9" and 135lb I am extremely healthy and look great, so people keep telling me
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Great work on your loss. I'm one of those friends who won't beat around the bush. Next time she would mention I'd be quick to ask her, why she feels the need to keep bringing up the same subject?
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and my weight goes from 135-138#. I wear a size 6 and am in great shape, even with my "left over from babies" problem areas.
    I eat well, and I eat a lot. I also run, and work out.

Any one who actually knows me, knows these things to be true and aren't dumb enough to call me rude names like "anorexic".
  • runnerforever234
    Options
    Personally, I have been called anorexic many'a time because I'm slim and maintain a healthy lifestyle. I let the haters hate. :wink:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss OP!!

As long as you're happy with yourself that's all that matters. Thank your friend for all her support and leave it at that, I wouldn't entertain a conversation about these 'other people'.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I'd tell her "what other people say about me is none of my business." Repeat as needed.
  • lisadlocks
    lisadlocks Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I feel great. I'm running half marathongs and getting ready for a triathlon. I'm in the best shape of my life.

I just don't want to hurt her feelings.

I quote you. You feel great. You are in the best shape of your life. Nothing in that sentence should hurt anyone's feelings. Matter of fact, it is your feelings that have been hurt. By the way, the first time I saw my collarbones, I was shocked. I am sure you are getting used to your new body. You don't have to imagine what the people who knew you 100 pounds plus are adjusting too. Reminder. It is YOUR journey. Enjoy your journey to wellness.:wink:
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success. Too bad your "friend" can't be happy for you but people are like that. I am 5'4" and I weight 131 lbs. It is a perfectly fine and proper weight for our height. Buy yourself some skinny jeans and enjoy your new body!
  • garnet116
    garnet116 Posts: 144 Member
    Options

I just don't want to hurt her feelings.

Sounds to me that she is the one hurting your feelings.

Sorry you have to put up with her negative attitude and congratulations on your weight loss!:happy: