Is breakfast absolutely necessary?

Options

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    If thats not for you its not for you a lot of people do fasting find a niche :)
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    There is research that points to eating breakfast being benefitial.....that being said I am not a big breakfast eater...when I do it is usually some scrambled egg whites with onion,garlic and green pepper.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130326151127.htm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110519113024.htm

first of all this research was done with only 20 subjects and second of all..The main focus was eating a protein rich meal!

I eat protein rich but just dont eat it until 11:30 am..

Yes I can read also......I was just posting the links...not commenting if it was right or wrong.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It may be necessary in terms of performance or preferential aspects of dieting.
    It's not necessary for weight loss outside of the above metrics. It is no more thermogenic than it would be were you to eat those calories later.
  • RoamingDuck
    Options
    You don't have to eat a giant breakfast, but try to get your metabolism working. Give yourself at least 100 calories to work with. Perhaps a couple of pieces of fruit or some yogurt.
  • JaimeMWS
    JaimeMWS Posts: 36
    Options
    What did you eat for breakfast? I find if I eat a "normal American" breakfast of carbohydrates, I am hungry all day. If I eat only fibrous vegetables and protein and fat, I have more energy and don't feel hungry.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat a giant breakfast, but try to get your metabolism working. Give yourself at least 100 calories to work with. Perhaps a couple of pieces of fruit or some yogurt.

Your metabolism is already working in the morning... eating doesn't jump start it.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Why it isn't necessary for every person. I personally found it key to dropping the weight. With that being said I eat five small meals a day! I also workout 6 days a week. I will say I am rushed in the morning so breakfast for me is a protein smoothie most days, or poached egg, toast, and tomato slice, or steel cut oats, sunflower seeds, agave nectar. The other two options are usually on the weekends, when I am not getting ready for work, and the kid to school! I do simple! then 3 hours later I am eating again.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    No. You lose weight when you burn more calories than you eat. Some people need to eat breakfast so they don't end up starving and over eat at their next meal. But it's not necessary.

This ^^^^^ all day long. Though, for me, breakfast is a must.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    You can eat breakfast whatever time you want to. It means literally "breaking the fast", not "early morning meal".
  • IFlover90
    IFlover90 Posts: 62
    Options
    No. Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise.
  • Cassea7
    Cassea7 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You can eat breakfast whatever time you want to. It means literally "breaking the fast", not "early morning meal".

very nice! :flowerforyou:
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options

Your metabolism is already working in the morning... eating doesn't jump start it.

I would have to disagree with you whole heartily! You do understand that our bodies go into a starvation mode if we do not eat often and regularly. Your body will hold on to fat stores. I would cycle my diet though. Do not be afraid to go over your daily calorie intake occasionally. I keeps your metabolism guessing. Think about it if we had to still forage for food, so days are more productive in food gathering than others :flowerforyou:
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options
    I personally shoot for 20 - 30 grams of protein, and 20 - 30 grams of carbohydrates with in the first 30 mins. of waking up to fuel my body the best. By the way I am hardly ever tired anymore because of my diet, sleep, and exercise routine!
  • bnorris2013
    bnorris2013 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    you are hearing tons of conflicting information
    as you can see there is only one correct answer

YES AND NO

EVERYONE has a different body type and no 2 people are exactly the same
    You need to figure out what works for your body

For me personally I NEVER eat breakfast and when I do I am starving the rest of the day - So unless its a free day for me I skip breakfast and eat at 11 am - But again this is what works for me

Now my husband is the exact opposite - If he does not eat breakast then he is starving all day long and no doubt will gobble something down he will regret later so for him he MUST eat breakfast

Try it both ways for a few days each and see what works best for you
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I would have to disagree with you whole heartily! You do understand that our bodies go into a starvation mode if we do not eat often and regularly. Your body will hold on to fat stores. I would cycle my diet though. Do not be afraid to go over your daily calorie intake occasionally. I keeps your metabolism guessing. Think about it if we had to still forage for food, so days are more productive in food gathering than others :flowerforyou:

The statement you are disagreeing with is correct. Your metabolism is already running and you do not start it or rev it up by eating.

There have already been examples of peer reviewed studies showing that metabolic rates slightly increase in the absence of food during the first ~24-48 hours. I've never seen any evidence that missing an individual meal will cause any slowdown in metabolic rate.

Total intake may have an effect on thermogenesis (adaptive responses to prolonged dieting both hormonally and through change in activity) but this is not something that happens acutely. You really do not have to eat frequently for thermogenesis. You MAY have to for preference.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    You not only misunderstand metabolism, you also misunderstand "starvation mode". None of your information is correct. Here, have some peer-reviewed studies to educate yourself:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol
  • Tachyonic
    Tachyonic Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    EDIT: Apparently there are fitness fanatics that might criticize my first sentence. Let me state that I'm not a fitness professional, so I honestly have no idea how bodies work on that level. However, I think that every body is a little different. If you find that eating breakfast makes you lose weight better or gives you more energy or whatever, go for it!

I think that breakfast helps kickstart your body's metabolism. You don't have to eat much for breakfast, but try to eat something. If you're like me, you don't eat breakfast because you either don't actually feel hungry until at least an hour after waking up, or you don't have time to make breakfast before rushing out the door in the morning.

Some good tips are to buy breakfast bars or granola bars that you enjoy, and just grab one of those and a piece of your favorite fruit. You can eat it on the go or just chuck it in your bag to eat when you get to work or school.

A Nutrigrain bar and a banana are less than 250 calories combined, and rather filling! If you don't like granola bars, try instant oatmeal that comes in packets... only takes a minute or two to heat up.
  • amberdcouch
    amberdcouch Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to eat breakfast daily. If you skip out on breakfast it will slow your metabolism
  • thisismeraw
    Options

Your body will not go into "starvation mode" if you don't eat for 12 hours. It doesn't happen. If it did, all those who practise IF would be huge as some don't eat for 20 hours at a time.

Your metabolism is working all day everyday... it doesn't stop unless you die. Eating frequently does not make it increase. You could eat all your calories 9-10pm and still lose weight the same as if you were eating them spaced throughout the day.
  • thisismeraw
    Options
    Yes, you need to eat breakfast daily. If you skip out on breakfast it will slow your metabolism

False.

I don't know why people still believe this myth... it has been pushed for far too long.