Is Oatmeal processed food???

Options
A friend and I got into a discussion the other day about processed food and we were unsure about Quaker's instant oatmeal packets. So, is it processed???

On a side note, I eat the flavored kinds. Would this be a processed food???

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Is it bad for you? No.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I think technically if it's any of the instant or quick varieties or those with added flavours it is considered processed.
  • christabel6
    christabel6 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's processed. If you cooked porridge from scratch it wouldn't take much longer and wouldn't be processed, if that bothers you.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    By definition I believe that anything other than unhulled oats are processed food.

http://www.wheatgrasskits.com/sprouting/whole_oat_grain.htm
    Whole Oats have the hull on and are a great choice for sprouting, animal feed and oat grass, but not for food uses unless the hull is removed.

Most food needs to be processed in some form or fashion prior to consumption.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Yup it's processed as in a part of the oat is removed and sugar is added
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Food pretty much by its nature is "proccessed". The question is better thought of in terms of is it more processed or less processed. Think of it this way, if anything has been done to a food item it is "processed". So while plain old non-quick steel cut oats are still processed, they are less processed than the instant flavored stuff.

And unless you are chasing down a cow and eating it while it is still alive, some processing, in the form of butchering has been done, however a package of steak that you buy at a grocery store is less processed than say commercial restaurant hamburger patties.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    most food goes through a process.

i don't understand why people are afraid of "processed" food.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    You do NOT want the laborious task of eating unprocessed oats.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I suggest you start by learning what processing means. Reading is cool these days, try it.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    most food goes through a process.

i don't understand why people are afraid of "processed" food.

Cause the boogey man put toxins in it. OH NOEZ!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You do NOT want the laborious task of eating unprocessed oats.

Agreed.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Unless your name is Jedadiah and you live in an Amish community, pretty much anything you eat is processed food.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is processed food. Anytime food is even so much as chopped up to look different than it's orginal state, it is considered processed. So even mashed potatoes are processed foods.

Is it bad for you, not necessarily.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be worried so much about it being processed and more about the fact the sugary little flavored packets are your worst choice when it comes to oatmeal. Steel cut oats with your own toppings (i.e. real fruit, nuts, etc) are going to be a better choice. Even plain rolled oats w/real fruit are a better choice. The fruit (or berries or whatever) will add more fiber & other nutrients and keep you fuller longer. You can even stir in an egg for some extra protein.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Eating my yummy, processed banana bread Quaker oatmeal as I type this...
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You're not cooking them are you??!!
    You're just supposed to nibble the grains off of the plants.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I don't know but the texture is so nasty, it makes me throw up in my mouth a little. EWWW!!! :sick:
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I was reading about this a few weeks ago. Whole rolled oats and steel cut oats are minimally processed...the hulled oats are either rolled or cut to make cooking go faster. It also makes the nutrients more available to your digestion.

Quick oats are cut up even smaller and partially cooked....so more processed than the others but nothing is added.

Instant oat packets are fully cooked....just add water. So they are the most processed plus usually have something added (dried fruit bits, sweetener, preservative).

None of this is bad on it's own. It's what you prefer. Sometimes convenience is more important than "as close to nature as possible".

I've also read that research shows the cholesterol lowering benefits are not found with instant and quick oats.

Sorry I can't cite a reference. I don't remember where I read this.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Unless they are in their completely natural state, most foods are processed to some extent. regular Quaker Oats are going to be less processed than your Quaker instant oats with added flavor and sugar.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't have added sugar or any added synthetic ingredients in my opinion, "processing" is fine.