Anyone in the military or going to join the military?

Options
1235»

Replies

• 24 years and still going, Active duty Navy. Like numerous people here, if you have any questions please feel free to ask.
  • galenofedgewood
    galenofedgewood Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Army myself. Was enlisted for 5 years and have hit over 4 years as an officer now.

<--- Commo puke and damn proud of it.

You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hooyah! Navy pride right here!
    I enlisted last year as CTI! Got out and now going back to MEPS in July before my scores expire.

Ummmm, I'm a bit confused. How is it that you "got out" and are now "going back"??? :huh:
  • Tatonka_usn
    Options
    I retired from the Navy. My daughter is currently active duty Navy and my son is joining the Marines in July. Now to work on my 13-year old to get her to join! It's a great way to start your life. Not everyone is a lifer but you definitely will learn a lot! Good luck to everyone!

I give you credit as, after 16+ years of Navy service (13 active, and the last 3+ reserve) I'd NEVER encourage my kids to go in (something my wife actually asked me about at some point). Not that I haven't found it to be (on the whole) a good experience, but given the way things are going with the force, I couldn't (in good conscience) advocate it. Nothing against your/your family's decision, but I've just become increasingly jaded over the years......
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I retired from the Navy. My daughter is currently active duty Navy and my son is joining the Marines in July. Now to work on my 13-year old to get her to join! It's a great way to start your life. Not everyone is a lifer but you definitely will learn a lot! Good luck to everyone!

I give you credit as, after 16+ years of Navy service (13 active, and the last 3+ reserve) I'd NEVER encourage my kids to go in (something my wife actually asked me about at some point). Not that I haven't found it to be (on the whole) a good experience, but given the way things are going with the force, I couldn't (in good conscience) advocate it. Nothing against your/your family's decision, but I've just become increasingly jaded over the years......

This is a pretty good representation of my feelings as well. Except it only took me three years to get there.
  • DesireeAshley90
    DesireeAshley90 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I enlisted last year as CTI! Got out and now going back to MEPS in July before my scores expire.

Ummmm, I'm a bit confused. How is it that you "got out" and are now "going back"??? :huh:

I enlisted last year and got a ship out date for Apr 17. A month before I voluntarily DEP discharged myself and got a new recruiter.
  • Tatonka_usn
    Options

I enlisted last year and got a ship out date for Apr 17. A month before I voluntarily DEP discharged myself and got a new recruiter.

Interesting. Never heard anything done like that before, but it's been quite a few moons since I was on DEP :wink:
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Been trying to get into the Army for a year and a half. Going for another shot in May.
  • DesireeAshley90
    Options

Interesting. Never heard anything done like that before, but it's been quite a few moons since I was on DEP :wink:

Yeah it was a long story. For a whole minute I got out because I wanted to join AF instead. Realized that wasn't for me and went straight back to a Navy recruiter's office. Gained weight while in the process and now losing it again thus why I'm not going back until around June. So much red tape to go through :( Stupidest thing I ever did.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I'm an MA with a little over four years in. I too got to enjoy Great Lakes in Jan/Feb, of 2009. Later on that year I got to enjoy the -30 windchill on the flight line in NE.

It is true you get what you put into it, or as someone once told me, 'The Navy helps those that help themselves.'

I was promised E3 out of boot camp and I got E3 out of boot camp. I can honestly say that my recruiter never once lied to me. while someone else may have a sour taste in their mouth try not to let it effect you.

Keep working out hard and really give thought to the rate you choose, you'll be in it for awhile.

Also-for anyone who is a little hesitant to join at a little older age: I joined just two months away from my 28th birthday and there are others on here who joined later in life as well. It's all up to you and if you want it, but it is possible.
  • joyfulrunner22
    joyfulrunner22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Active Duty Army. I have been in going on five years and love it so much! Good Luck!!!
  • DesireeAshley90
    Options
    46 days left for me!!!