Would you feel bad for this boy?

Options

Replies

• Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    fruit and pepperoni? what kind of meal is that?
    It's the meal of a 10 year old who is 30 lbs overweight.
  • kaperlinger
    kaperlinger Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    So sad. A few weeks ago I stopped for a drink at a near by gas station. I noticed a young girl probably my sons age - 4. Her mother gave her a fountain pop. She's 4 years old!! Does this bother anyone else?
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    At 10, he can make his own choices, so no, I wouldn't feel bad. He doesn't HAVE to eat crap like his parents, he chooses to. My husband and I are fat and tell our kids they can't have sugary stuff, wonder if we get weird looks too? Because obviously if you're fat, it has nothing to do with illness or anything, ever.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Fruit or Pepperoni?

Decisions decisions.....
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    So he gets a slurpee but can't have fruit? How the **** does that make sense? And pepperoni? Who eats pepperoni by itself? So fattening. Ugh. In a way I feel bad because he's got horrible examples, but I also know that when I was younger and chubby with overly obese parents, I knew I didn't want to be like them.
  • kluedesigns
    kluedesigns Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    you don't know anything about these people.

maybe the family is overweight but it could also be that they are half way thru their weight loss journey and today was a cheat day for them.

i see tons of posts from people and their "cheat days"

don't judge people until you've taken the time to learn their back story.
  • Its_All_Gongfu
    Its_All_Gongfu Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i don't think he's doomed, seems to me like his parents are trying to cut his portion sizes which is a good start, how do you know they haven't enrolled him in some type of sport activity? As they learn better they'll do better.

I concur.

This is a no-value topic for a "Food & Nutrition" forum.

Judging others in the guise of "helpful conversation" is a harmful and negative habit.

Period. Put any spin on it you want, it still is just a way to ignore our own failings. :wink:

Eliminating our own negative thinking and actions is about 1000 times more important that what any passer-by is doing or not doing.
  • Its_All_Gongfu
    Its_All_Gongfu Posts: 43 Member
    Options

maybe the family is overweight but it could also be that they are half way thru their weight loss journey and today was a cheat day for them.

Well said.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I'd file that one under 'its none of my business' and then consider getting a slurpee... mmm slurpee

Walk-Away-mind-your-own-business-4932012-500-375.jpg
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    We can't all be Quarterbacks and Recievers...the world needs Offensive Linemen too!! Whats an offense without the O-line???....is it football season yet??!!!
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    So sad. A few weeks ago I stopped for a drink at a near by gas station. I noticed a young girl probably my sons age - 4. Her mother gave her a fountain pop. She's 4 years old!! Does this bother anyone else?

I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old. They like to drink soda when it's around, like at parties and restaurants. I like to get the fruit juice sodas sometimes as a treat and I always share with them when they ask. I don't see the big deal. It's no worse than candy. They can only have sips of soda with caffeine (or coffee or tea, which they will ask for a sip of every once in awhile), though, and I tell them why.

It does bother me when I see little ones with sippy cups full of juice that they drink all day every day. I know some kids who won't even touch water, all they drink is juice. I guess I just think of juice and soda as treats, like candy.
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    were these the people you saw??

0228-sugar-bear-honey-boo-boo-mama-june-tlc-2.jpg
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Actually this makes me laugh. A year or so ago we were at BJs and I got a couple pieces of pizza and a soda to share with my kids. I had to laugh because I was probably the perfect cliche of the horrible mother, overweight, and feeding my kids junk.

But really, they have soda maybe twice a year. Even juice, they get a tiny glass once a day (assuming they don't steal the bottle in the fridge). And their weight is fine. So I'm not worried about what other people think. I think it's ok in moderation.
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options

yeah, that's it....
  • madelonism
    madelonism Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    as a child born of excess, the parents cant be blamed. when my mother was a young woman she figured she would give me everything she never had because she could. i wasnt doomed coming out of my childhood. but i was faced with an obsticle that in turn makes me a stronger person.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    were these the people you saw??

0228-sugar-bear-honey-boo-boo-mama-june-tlc-2.jpg

*win*
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    This post seems unproductive. I ate junk as a kid too, capri suns every day, and twinkies as dessert. We went to fast food at least 2-3 times a month. We were overall healthy though, and you have no idea what these people are like in general.

A slurpee once in a while isn't a problem, and you really have no idea how they eat, or what they were saying. I just don't get the point of posting this I guess.
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    This post seems unproductive. I ate junk as a kid too, capri suns every day, and twinkies as dessert. We went to fast food at least 2-3 times a month. We were overall healthy though, and you have no idea what these people are like in general.

A slurpee once in a while isn't a problem, and you really have no idea how they eat, or what they were saying. I just don't get the point of posting this I guess.

sorry if i sound mean! i have an interview coming up and am really grumpy. And been reading a lot about fat acceptance and its striking a chord. Anyway...carry on.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Don't be so judgemental he is a future FP member HA! If our parents were so perfect in the healthy eating department we wouldn't be here. And for those who say their parents were very healthy and taught you great skills shame on you for not following them lol

My kids eat PLENTY of junk food but also PLENTY of healthy food. Their metabolism can handle it. But I also make sure they understand (esp my 15 yr old daughter) to be very mindful because the weight as she matures can show as fat very quickly and that she needs to exercise or she is going to look like me lol She exercises. I thought maybe she would choose not to eat so much but she chose exercise lol Eating a ton must run in the genes for me and mine lol
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My dad never had us make wise choices in foods. We didn't eat out due to finances, but we are when we wanted as much as we wanted. You would have no clue since we weren't overweight kids. I now have learned how to eat correctly. There are plenty of skinny kids heading down the same road, but most people ignore that.