Ddumb to drink 2 Tablespoons of olive oil to up calories?

Options

Replies

• trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    You would need to have 23 standard fish oil capsules to get the same energy content.
  • trojanbb
    Options
    I'm going to go against the consensus here and say, yeah, it's pretty dumb.

Think about whether eating when you're not hungry is really a good idea, especially loading yourself with a huge dose of something you would never actually eat to feel satisfied. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

It would be better to work the olive oil into the food you already eat, cook with a little bit extra or dress things you'd usually take plain. That way you can still eat according to your hunger and increase your calories more slowly to give your body (and your mind) a chance to adjust.

Don't worry if you didn't hit your goal for today, you can try again tomorrow. There really is zero point in forcing yourself to eat something gross when you're not hungry (unless you have a medical reason, of course).

This is all wrong. The equivalent of me saying there is zero point in not eating whatever you want if you are hungry.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You would need to have 23 standard fish oil capsules to get the same energy content.

You can buy fish oil that is not in capsule form so they can take it same as the olive oil. I win. :drinker:
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    After talking with a dietician on here a while ago I did learn that the best thing you can do is to eat things in their most natural form as possible and oil is extracted from whatever it came from(seeds, nuts.. etc) so you can use some very sparingly but it's best to get the fats from the actual source itself so go for nuts as the others said and don't just eat peanuts please, there are lots of nut that have great benifits especially walnuts for their omega 3's

None of this has any factual basis. It sounds good, I guess, but it's not true. People come up with some crazy theories on here.

And why are people recommending PB instead? The whole point is EASILY digestible calories that are not filling. As in not PB. Peanut Butter is what starving dieters crave, not people who are struggling to eat more.

It is true for people who are restricting their calories, and it's good advice. A greater percentage of their calories have to provide micronutrients and the fiber that comes with it will keep you fuller longer.

The advice isn't the same for someone who is trying to gain weight, obviously. For them it makes more sense to have refined macro sources because they are easier to consume, the percentage of their calories that must provide micros are much lower, and it won't make you as full.
  • trojanbb
    Options

You can buy fish oil that is not in capsule form so they can take it same as the olive oil. I win. :drinker:

Yes, and it tastes much worse and has a different makeup of calories and fats. No one in their right mind would opt for fish oil over olive oil to gain weight and force feed.

What!?

Of course you should eat whatever you want if you're hungry.

o_O

Good luck with your dieting goals.

The idea of drinking a shot of olive oil is just gross to me. A huge load of fat like that going into the blood stream all at once just seem unhealthy to me, no matter what kind of fat it is or what your age is.

No, it wont. It will take hours to digest. Many hours. and the release will be very gradual.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go against the consensus here and say, yeah, it's pretty dumb.

Think about whether eating when you're not hungry is really a good idea, especially loading yourself with a huge dose of something you would never actually eat to feel satisfied. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

It would be better to work the olive oil into the food you already eat, cook with a little bit extra or dress things you'd usually take plain. That way you can still eat according to your hunger and increase your calories more slowly to give your body (and your mind) a chance to adjust.

Don't worry if you didn't hit your goal for today, you can try again tomorrow. There really is zero point in forcing yourself to eat something gross when you're not hungry (unless you have a medical reason, of course).

This is all wrong. The equivalent of me saying there is zero point in not eating whatever you want if you are hungry.

What!?

o_O
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I think there is a difference in olive oils. For one thing they spoil easily if they are fresh and cold pressed ....which are the best for you. If they don't spoil easily then they've been heated or processed in some way to make them more shelf stable and they are not as digestible.

The idea of drinking a shot of olive oil is just gross to me. A huge load of fat like that going into the blood stream all at once just seem unhealthy to me, no matter what kind of fat it is or what your age is.

OP...maybe you could consult with a professional for ways to increase your calories in a healthier way. OR...just don't worry about it and eat when you're hungry....which might mean there will be days of going 400 over as well as days of going 200 under.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    OP...if your whole point is to add calories and hit your macros without having to suffer being overfed....then the olive oil is fine. Don't worry about it. It's the same as adding it to the food you already eat. But, if you prefer to get it over with in one stiff shot....go for it.
  • mockchoc
    Options

Yes, and it tastes much worse and has a different makeup of calories and fats. No one in their right mind would opt for fish oil over olive oil to gain weight and force feed.

What!?

o_O

Good luck with your dieting goals.

No, it wont. It will take hours to digest. Many hours. and the release will be very gradual.

Fish oil wins over olive oil in my books. Why would no one want omega 3's?
  • Thisisnotadiet
    Thisisnotadiet Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You will have to go to the bathroom :)

This is the best way to achieve going to the bathroom when you can't!

Eat peanut butter instead?
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat nuts. At least they are a whole food with more to offer than just "fat" and calories. But to each his own!

Yes ^^^^^ I love to eat nuts too :laugh: :drinker:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I don't see an issue with it, apart from I don't think I could down it.

People saying to eat it on something, or as an avocado etc - the whole point is he said he wasn't hungry.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    You haven't lived until you've done shots of olive oil.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    some people swear by drinking olive oil. Check out Sepay Groves
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    We give food-grade rice bran oil to our horses that are "hardkeepers" and need to add on some weight ;)

Or what about Nutella, it has some crazy calories and tastes divine from what I hear from my daughter!

^ great idea. I personally don't think it's that great, but hey, it's high in calories for when you need it :) Almond butter is way better imo. Love almond butter :D
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    ...why not just eat ice cream or chocolate instead?
  • mockchoc
    Options
    ...why not just eat ice cream or chocolate instead?

I was desperate for chocolate gelato last night. I think that is a good idea!
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Unless people have had WLS I find it astounding that people struggle to get in their calories. But if you do, go for a calorie dense food- peanut butter as some suggested, or any nut butters, or perhaps avocado. Not much point in empty (non-nutritious) calories is there?
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Add some fresh herbs to your olive oil and dip bread in it before a meal. It's delicious!
  • CupcakesAndRazorblades
    Options
    yuk....but to each his own :smile: