Almond vs soy milk

Options

Replies

• Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I find almond milk more palatable than soy. Unsweetened almond milk has 40 calories per cup and goes very nicely with protein shakes and cereal. I guess I'm just not a big fan of soy in general. I like its general smoothness and it even has a nice aftertaste. Try both out and see which one you prefer. There is also coconut, hemp and rice milk to choose from. Happy Hunting :)
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I drink soy milk daily, cow milk daily (well, several days a week), eat tofu most days and have edamame several days a week. The studies on the web are conflicting, and there are by far countless health benefits of soy. I don't see Japanese being the ones with obesity epidemics or short life spans, however the soy has been linked to stunted growth in the older generations.

Bring on SOY PRODUCTS :)
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Almond milk tastes a million times better, imo. :) You can also cook and bake with it. You can pretty much do anything you can do with regular milk with almond milk as well. Soy milk not so much. It's thinner like skim milk, tastes different, and (I've heard) has high levels of estrogen which have some correlation with cancer? I dunno how much truth there is to the estrogen part and I haven't studied it much, personally, but I 100% prefer Almond. :) It's the good stuff.
  • jjski88
    jjski88 Posts: 24
    Options
    I've included an article from a registered dietician giving the rundown on popular milk choices.

http://news.health.com/2012/08/16/the-truth-about-milk/
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I switch between coconut milk and soy milk, I just don't like almond milk (nothing wrong with it though). It really depends on your goals and taste preference though. For me the protein in soy milk is more important than a lower calorie count
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hazelnut milk is really nice too
  • BluePHX
    Options

Ooooh I didn't know they had that! I'm gonna look for it next time we go shopping. :)
  • tlell
    tlell Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    One thing about soy is that there are studies saying it can metabolize into estrogen. Not sure how much you would need to make a difference, but that is one reason we keep it out of our house. Also, I agree that almond tastes better.

Your comment about soy "metabolizing into estrogen" is incorrect, and it is widely accepted among the scientific community that there are far more benefits of soy as a phytoestrogen than there are small studies showing a correlation of soy with any negative health effects. The estrogen-like parts of soy (and other plant foods) are by far less of a problem for humans than animal hormones found in things like dairy (naturally occurring estrogen/other hormones and those we inject into dairy cows). If anything mimics estrogen in our bodies the most, it's dairy milk, not soy milk.

I really wish I knew how this misconception started, because I believed it too until I started working in cancer research.

THANK YOU!! this needs to be read and understood by more people. Don't just blatantly accept the (to be blunt) BS that some 'health' sites promote that is based on minimal science.

Anyway with that aside. Soy milk has significantly more protein in it and is generally fortified with more vitamins and minerals than almond milk is. So for a vegans/vegetarians it's the sure choice :)
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options

Ooooh I didn't know they had that! I'm gonna look for it next time we go shopping. :)
    The one I buy is made by Alpro too, same as the almond milk.
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    can someone recommend a brand of almond milk, i tried for the first time today the silk unsweet almond milk with cereal and it was really just weird, it seemed way too thick and the liquid never really took on the flavor of the cereal which btw milk always does. it what makes eating cereal really tasty.

i would really love a great a lower cal drink alternative to milk. im looking for something to drink when i have a couple of chocolate chip cookies.

any recommendations, thanks!
  • BluePHX
    Options
    One thing about soy is that there are studies saying it can metabolize into estrogen. Not sure how much you would need to make a difference, but that is one reason we keep it out of our house. Also, I agree that almond tastes better.

Your comment about soy "metabolizing into estrogen" is incorrect, and it is widely accepted among the scientific community that there are far more benefits of soy as a phytoestrogen than there are small studies showing a correlation of soy with any negative health effects. The estrogen-like parts of soy (and other plant foods) are by far less of a problem for humans than animal hormones found in things like dairy (naturally occurring estrogen/other hormones and those we inject into dairy cows). If anything mimics estrogen in our bodies the most, it's dairy milk, not soy milk.

I really wish I knew how this misconception started, because I believed it too until I started working in cancer research.

THANK YOU!! this needs to be read and understood by more people. Don't just blatantly accept the (to be blunt) BS that some 'health' sites promote that is based on minimal science.

Anyway with that aside. Soy milk has significantly more protein in it and is generally fortified with more vitamins and minerals than almond milk is. So for a vegans/vegetarians it's the sure choice :)

I'm a vegetarian and I get plenty of healthful benefits from Almond milk. :) It has 50% more calcium in it than regular milk does, and I get my proteins and iron from fish, eggs and vegetables anyway, so for me, Almond milk is the thing. I guess it really just depends on what you're looking for! I would agree that maybe for Vegans soy milk is the better option, since Veganism is more challenging for finding vital nutrients.
  • BluePHX
    Options
    can someone recommend a brand of almond milk, i tried for the first time today the silk unsweet almond milk with cereal and it was really just weird, it seemed way too thick and the liquid never really took on the flavor of the cereal which btw milk always does. it what makes eating cereal really tasty.

i would really love a great a lower cal drink alternative to milk. im looking for something to drink when i have a couple of chocolate chip cookies.

I really like the sweetened Vanilla almond. I know it has sugars in it but we get the Sprouts Organic brand and it tastes a lot better than the unsweetened. I did give the Unsweetened a try... :/ I think that's a little beyond my palate. I fully envy the people who can do it! I just don't care for it much. :/
  • butterflyrae2010
    butterflyrae2010 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I stopped using soy once I tasted the almond....so much better IMO. What about almond vs coconut milk. Just wondering which is more nutritious
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've not been using 'milks' for a while now, but I was a long time soy user until I tasted the alternatives. They're a bit more expensive over here, but I love, love, LOVE the taste of both oat and rice milk. They're more watery, though, so if I wanted to cook with milk or use something a bit thicker I'd choose nut milk. Nothing in my choice other than taste.
  • 2horsestoride
    2horsestoride Posts: 37 Member
    Options

I like Diamond. I've had the Silk, and I agree with you, the texture was just a little off. I love the Diamond unsweetened Vanilla and it is only 30 calories for 8 oz.
  • phurst00
    phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I knew I should have bought Almond Milk instead... I have a half gallon of Light Silk in my fridge right now, and I really, really regret not getting just a pint of it. It doesn't taste bad to me but... it doesn't taste good either.

The good news is that I used a bit in my mashed potatoes (made from scratch) and my boyfriend had no idea that there wasn't "real" milk in there. So, perhaps I'll buy a pint of Almond Milk today and use the Silk for cooking!
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I like Diamond. I've had the Silk, and I agree with you, the texture was just a little off. I love the Diamond unsweetened Vanilla and it is only 30 calories for 8 oz.

thanks for the diamond suggestion, will definitely try.

any other low cal milk alternatives that go great with cereals, cupcakes, cookies? thanks!
  • treenuh_x
    treenuh_x Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I just prefer the taste of almond milk. Not sure about any other differences.
  • 1tiamat
    1tiamat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends. We drink a lot of almond milk, but we generally don't buy it we make it. I don't care for soy milk and when you make almond milk you have the almond flower left over for baking. It's kind of a win win if you ever find almonds on sale.

Also I'd like to say that my wife drinks it mostly because she has a dairy allergy that makes it difficult to drink the regular stuff.
  • Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I didn't know almond milk existed until I joined MFP. I have been drinking soy milk and eating tofu since I was a wee baby, I am 26 now, healthy apart from the 15 or so I need to lose lol. My mom is southeast asian though so I am more bias towards soy products if that makes any sense in a totally non prejudice way? Not saying she likes soy cause she is asian...but I love it!