DO YOU LOG HOUSEWORK AND GENERAL WALKING??

Options
Do you track your walking and housework etc as daily calories lost or not?? I have been doing it but have seen plenty that don't. Its all calories lost at the end of the day, log 60 minutes for each and I'll probably always go over that over the course of the day so its always going to be more,never less. What's your thoughts on this????? T.I.A :-) :-). Have a great day

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    No.

Have a great day too.
  • WTF7
    WTF7 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Nope- this is something that is an everyday thing- I only log dileberate exercise.
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It depends on your settings. If you're logged as sedentary then yes, otherwise no unless you're going for the big spring clean! You have a good day too!
  • viola147
    viola147 Posts: 7
    Options
    I think that sort of activity should be included in your activity level, whether you said you were sedentary, lightly active etc. I use a fitbit and anything that doesn't pick up is just bonus exercise.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It depends on your settings. If you're logged as sedentary then yes, otherwise no unless you're going for the big spring clean!

This.^^^
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Yes to the walking.... I walk close to 30km a day. Hardly normal walking. Housework I do intense....I dance my way through it. I log both.

People will tell you not to..... but it depends on what you do. I can burn 200cal doing 1hr housework. I went walking to get mascara last week....23km... took me 5 hours non stop walking.
  • RoseThePenguin
    RoseThePenguin Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I log my walking because I walk around 6 miles a day (to and from work).

I don't log cleaning as I don't think it really counts as exercise unless you're doing something like moving furniture around while cleaning or something.

I'm set sedentary, too, which I why I log the walking.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    NO
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    It depends on your settings. If you're logged as sedentary then yes, otherwise no unless you're going for the big spring clean! You have a good day too!
    Agreed. Have a lovely day. The sun is shining here which makes a nice change after all the snow!:smile:
  • xMallie
    xMallie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I will log cleaning and walking if I've done a 6+ hour shift at work (I am a waitress/food attendant so I spend my entire day walking) but usually I will only log half an hour to an hour of them in total, and that's if I do do them.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    No but I have a fitbit that will adjust my calorie burn if I do more than I am set for.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I only log stuff that makes me sweat.
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes. If I'm just casually picking up, etc ... then no ... but I've put my HRM on and I've zipped through the house non-stop for 45-60mins and LITERALY running room to room cleaning, etc and have burned greater 200 cals. I mean, I was literally sweating!! You might laugh but when I clean like that, I call it "cardio cleaning" haha

But yea, only when I do that or at least non-stop, do I log it. Hope that helps! :)
  • donnareadman7
    donnareadman7 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes. If I'm just casually picking up, etc ... then no ... but I've put my HRM on and I've zipped through the house non-stop for 45-60mins and LITERALY running room to room cleaning, etc and have burned greater 200 cals. I mean, I was literally sweating!! You might laugh but when I clean like that, I call it "cardio cleaning" haha

But yea, only when I do that or at least non-stop, do I log it. Hope that helps! :)

Haha I know what you mean, I sweat like crazy doing my cardio cleaning. Good to know about you HRM I am thinking of getting the Polar ft4, which do you have? Thanks for commenting :-).
  • donnareadman7
    Options
    Agreed. Have a lovely day. The sun is shining here which makes a nice change after all the snow!:smile:

Yes it is here too for a change :-) :-) thanks for commenting, makes sense :-)
  • donnareadman7
    Options
    I will log cleaning and walking if I've done a 6+ hour shift at work (I am a waitress/food attendant so I spend my entire day walking) but usually I will only log half an hour to an hour of them in total, and that's if I do do them.

Thanks makes total sense :-).
  • donnareadman7
    Options
    I log my walking because I walk around 6 miles a day (to and from work).

I don't log cleaning as I don't think it really counts as exercise unless you're doing something like moving furniture around while cleaning or something.

I'm set sedentary, too, which I why I log the walking.
    Okay thanks for commenting, makes total sense :-) :-)
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I spend a good couple of hours in the gym 5 days a week, and go on a long run on day 6, but I would still log long walks (including shopping trips) and spring cleaning. Nowadays I eat TDEE rather than eating back calories, so logging such exercises has no impact on my daily calorie intake. I log it as both activities are hard work, are outside of my normal daily activities and often make me sweat.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I only log exercise that I make a conscious effort to do. The rest, incidental exercise, I just take as going into my daily activity level.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I don't log any exercise, because I've set my calories to a number that already accounts for my activity levels. If I log exercise I'd be eating the exercise calories twice.

Whether or not you should log things like housework and walking depends.

If your calorie number is set for how many calories you'd burn being completely inactive, i.e. sitting on your backside all day kind of inactive, then you probably should log housework and walking if it's enough to get you on your feet and moving around for a significant amount of time, or if you're slightly out of breath, etc.

If your calorie number is set to lightly active, then I wouldn't recommend logging these, as they would be accounted for already in your "lightly active" calorie number, as it's light activity. If you're set to lightly active, I'd only recommend logging and eating back activity calories for things that are quite strenuous, e.g. working out at the gym, running, cycling etc, so long as it's not already counted in your calories already (e.g. if you consider yourself lightly active because you go to the gym once a week, then don't log the calories for that workout)