DO YOU LOG HOUSEWORK AND GENERAL WALKING??

Options
124»

Replies

• cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    It depends on your settings. If you're logged as sedentary then yes, otherwise no unless you're going for the big spring clean! You have a good day too!

^^ this. I only log walking if it is deliberate exercise - not shopping or going to take pictures or things like that. I only log intentional, for the exercise, exercises. All others are considered "bonus" burns.
  • Joniboloney
    Joniboloney Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Nope- this is something that is an everyday thing- I only log dileberate exercise.

I agree :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Wondering the same thing...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/957669-help-how-many-calories-burned

soooo.....cornfused....
  • tomato915
    tomato915 Posts: 40
    Options
    I don't include it. Even I walk for a couple of hours. I only include strength training and running.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I have my activity level set to completely sedentary, if the walk is considerably more than I typically do or the housework particularly intense, then I do.
  • highstandards
    Options
    I'd recommend getting a FitBit device for this sort of things. Keep it in your pocket and you'll get an idea of how many calories you're burning just moving around. You should see a peak for activities such as cleaning, shopping, etc. and that will tell you how many more calories you could eat if you wanted to. It sync with mfp.
  • shortstuff17
    shortstuff17 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I will log my cleaning if i spend more than a couple minutes, like dusting, vaccuming, etc but thats usually cuz i end up breaking a sweat. I dont really log any walking unless its more than normal, like if I spend the day walking the mall or take my dog for a walk, or something like that...
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    NO housework. If you're walking at a fast pace for exercise, log it as such. Walking leisurely from point A to point B, is part of TDEE, imo (as well as housework).
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Nope I worry if I did I would be cheating myself
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I only log stuff that makes me sweat.

^^ yep
  • Debby0904
    Debby0904 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Never cleaning and only walking if it's at a brisk pace using handweights on an incline and I mean steep.. However those of you that do log it are you deducting what you would normally would be burning if you weren't doing these things? If you did that you will find that what you are really burning is minimal. Is your HR even getting high enough to hit your first zone for fat burning? If not, don't count it. Doing the above gives an excuse to eat more thus you won't be seeing you max potential loss. So you only cheat yourself.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    No. If you just want to keep track of how active you are, log it as 1 calorie, but don't log it for the purpose of eating back cals.
  • llcjmama
    llcjmama Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I log all of mine, I have a huge house and 3 little boys it takes alot of energy to keep this clean. I also log any general walking! It is all calories burned. I never eat back my excerise calories anyway so I just like to see my burn per day! I have a mild form of CP so my body burns a more than the average person, so sometimes housework and walking does make me sweat.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    For a year beforei retired I took a part time job at a school as a custadian. 4 hours a night sweeping and wiping desks. In that year I lost 56 lbs without dieting. I put it all back on after retirement and a lot more. Since july with just walking, housework and dieting I have 80 as of today. Do not under estimate the benefit of housework. I also found out how many cals burned raking leaves. Look it up you would be amazed.
  • wcso911mn
    wcso911mn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't log "normal" walking during the day (anything other than walking the dog, or going for a walk with a friend or family member). However, housework I will log depending on the activity level. If I work up a sweat spending 30 minutes cleaning the bathroom because I've neglected it for awhile (scrubbing, sweeping, etc), then I will log that. Laundry, dishes, vaccuuming, dusting, etc I normally don't. Now, when spring decides to hit & I start mowing the lawn, then that will be included as well (just like I include shoveling snow in the winter).
  • shirdiana
    shirdiana Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    No, I only log when I do at least 30 minutes of walking, bicycling, water aerobics ect...Just count housework as a bonus! lol!
  • nicole_andan
    Options
    I do a thorough clean once a week, dusting, bleaching the kitchen, scrubbing the bathroom, hoovering, mopping, cooking for a couple of days in the week, shopping for the week, changing the sheets. I am quite literally on the move non-stop for 6 hours so I normally count it as cleaning for 4 hours. I don't count just daily cooking or hoovering etc!
  • mopedgirl007
    mopedgirl007 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My settings are set to secondary and I count both depending on the circumstances. Walking I count if it's intended exercise or if I have been walking around the mall for hours. The mall walking I usually only count 1/4 of the time at the 2mph pace. Cleaning I only count if its heavy cleaning that takes more than an hour AND I work up a sweat, then I usually count 1/2 the time. I also count raking leaves and shoveling snow. I help out 3 different families and here in MN I can really work up a sweat. Again I usually only count 1/2 the time.

I have a Bodymedia device that I used to use for a year and a half, with that I really saw what a difference cleaning and just spending more time on my feet made to my calories burned in a day. The little things can really add up, but at the same time when you're guessing you don't want to over estimate.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I wear a Fitbit and it gives me a calorie adjustment for all movement, so technically I do count everything. I don't eat back many, if any, exercise calories so, that it's all moot.