Do you wash cabbage???

Options
1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
I have always cut up my cabbage, and washed it after. My sister says she does not wash cabbage. Is it really necessary to wash a head of cabbage? It just feels wrong to skip that step.
I should add, I usually am not eating raw myself, but kids always come in begging for a handful of raw cabbage.

Replies

• rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I wash the outside layer, but that's it
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options

^ This
    37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    Options

^ This

This ^^
  • soniabraids
    Options
    I wash all of it after it's cut up (first remove the 2 top layers)
  • SuZQz173
    SuZQz173 Posts: 37
    Options
    I wash the head of cabbage before cutting.

Then, I wash the smaller segments--after cutting.

Why? If you peel leaf by leaf, you see sand and dirt collected as the cabbage grew.

So, yes, I wash my cabbage.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    By all means wash it and spin it dry in a salad spinner.
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I wash it. I wash all vegetables before I eat them.
  • SuZQz173
    SuZQz173 Posts: 37
    Options
    By all means wash it and spin it dry in a salad spinner.

Never thought of that--I have a spinner. Guess I should be using it more!
    Options
    I wash the head of cabbage before cutting.

Then, I wash the smaller segments--after cutting.

Why? If you peel leaf by leaf, you see sand and dirt collected as the cabbage grew.

So, yes, I wash my cabbage.
    This is m thinking as well. I'll just keep washing it then!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Yes. Wash your vegetables.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Having worked in a produce department at a supermarket for 8 years, definitely wash it. Wash everything unless it's packaged and says "pre-washed", and even then a good rinse might not hurt.

But lose things - heads of lettuce, cabbage, apples - anything - has been handled by countless pickers, packers, produce clerks, customers, etc before making it into your home. Wash it. :wink:
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I always cut and wash cabbage when I cook it. I do the same with kale, collards, pretty much everything.
    Options
    I see there is a misunderstanding here. I am not concerned with the out side, I am talking about the inside. Usually some folks like to just peel off the outer leaves (which would be the only ones contaminated in a grocery store by human hands etc...) and call it clean. I peel off the out side leaves, chop it and wash it. The question is whether that is necessary. As SuZQz points out, their can be dirt INSIDE from the growing process. I wash my vegetables. I don't know where I ever said I did not.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I have a huge all-natural garden, everything grown from organic seeds, no pesticides or herbicides. Healthy all-natural produce. And I wash everything, after the first time I found a fat green caterpillar in my broccoli. Steamed, on my plate. Better than chemicals maybe, but still unwanted, big time.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have never washed a fruit of vegetable in my life and I'm pretty healthy. I get my dirty vitamins this way.

And your kids really ask for cabbage? That's good, just don't hear that often.
  • EmilyKingston
    EmilyKingston Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    SHOULD I wash cabbage? Yes. DO I was cabbage? .......No. :embarassed:
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    but kids always come in begging for a handful of raw cabbage.

:noway:

I must have read that wrong.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have never washed a fruit of vegetable in my life and I'm pretty healthy. I get my dirty vitamins this way.
    Working in the produce dept. all those years, I did graze on my fair share of unwashed produce - we always sampled cherries, grapes - all kinds of stuff as it came in. One of my bosses always said that none of would have to be embalmed due to all the chemicals (and dirt) we probably ate. :tongue:
  • sjeannot
    sjeannot Posts: 143
    Options
    I think you should wash all fruits and vegetables that come out of the grown because you never know what pesticides are added to them. I tend to lean towards organic and whole foods a bit more but even with those, still need to be washed to clean off any impurities just in case.