Beginner Runner - Tips?!

Options
I am not a runner by any means. When I jog, it hurts my legs and I get out of breath *lol*
However, I really feel led to get in to it and I WANT to run!
How do you start? I was thinking jog/fast walk intervals, sprinting or running when I can and staying consistent with it until I can actually run.
I have a membership to a gym and usually jump on a crossramp elliptical but should I be on the treadmill instead?
What are some tips to not hurt from running? Good shoes? Certain stretches? Would really appreciate any tips/advice, etc..
Thanks!

Replies

• pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about trying a program like C25k to help you start? I started that (and Zombie, Run! 5k training) about 2 weeks ago and it definitely helps keep me on track without wearing me completely out.
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    get an app like cardio trainer which tells you periodically how fast you are going and pace yourself. my single biggest problem was running too fast initially and then getting out of breath and getting a stitch really quickly. force yourself to start slow like 4-4.5 mph jogging and youll be able to go much further and wont get the lactic acid build up so bad
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    start slow, walk a minute, jog a minute and do that for 20 minutes. keep working your way up. you got this girl!
  • BSwizzle97
    Options
    I started the NHS couch to 5k podcasts a few weeks ago and have found it really helpful..I used to get really out of breath and like you, had the pains in my leg..I'm at week 5 now and really starting to enjoy running :smile:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Proper running shoes - absolutely, positively don't skimp on this. Also, learn dynamic stretching techniques, as well as post-run stretching.
  • SashaMegan
    SashaMegan Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Use the C25K free app! :smile:
    It's awesome, it will guide you to be able to run 5k in a very progressive manner :)
    Personnally I love this app :love:
  • Yumaz
    Yumaz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    having been there myself, i would highly recommend a couch to 5k program. also, look into Pose running. you do not want to be a heel striker (which most people are naturally), especially if you're carrying a few extra pounds. heel striking can be one reason your running may be painful.
  • WillieMN
    WillieMN Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is a great program and also look up Jeff Galloway's walk/run programs. You can find schedules or programs free on the internet. I've been a runner for over 20 years and sometimes I find myself starting over again. I am now dealing with osteoarthritis so it's like I've never run before. I started walking. Then I add some light jogging and walking. Always remember too much too soon is NOT a good thing. Patience is truly a virtue with a successful training program.

Keep a log of what you do, how you feel and how your body responds in the days following.

As for shoes, no two runners have the same feet. Find a trustworthy, local running store in your community and allow them to assist you. Try on more than one brand and give them a test run/walk on a treadmill. Communicate how they feel so you can determine the perfect fit for you.

And yes, find a 5k to train for. When you have a goal and a timeline is inspiration and motivation to keep moving!
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest a c25k app. I could barely run a block when I started. Now I can run for 7 minutes. I pushed it further once because I wasn't out of breath but paid for it with extremely sore legs for about 4 days afterward. Following a c25k not only builds up endurance with your breathing but also goes slow enough to allow for your legs to build so that you can do more.
  • Utahgirl12
    Utahgirl12 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I tried the C25k app, but have now found the Zombies 5K app which I love love love! You start off by walking 10 minutes then running 15 seconds followed by 1 mins walking 10 times then a 10 minute free flow session where you can run/walk as you wish.
    I've just done my first week...the ongoing story line makes it more interesting......I want to know what's going to happen next.

Lucy x
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I would highly suggest C25K I started with that 2 years ago and now able to run 13+ miles. I would stay away from sprinting that's more intermediate. Definitely jogging comfortably even if you feel it's slow. Treadmills are okay if necessary but running outdoors is different and makes it more difficult for those not used to it, well most. I'd recommend both but preferably outdoors. I completed C25K on a treadmill and the first time I ran outdoors I could barely hang for 1 mile versus the 3 miles on a TM.

Getting fitted for shoes makes all the difference, check out a running store they'll fit you for free but shoes can be a bit pricey anywhere from $75-175 bucks and last anywhere between 300-600 miles. If your achilles hurt or get a lot of shin splints you could be doing too much too soon or going too fast, download the app (C25K) its free I think well it used to be and stick with it, I had to repeat a few weeks so do what you got to do and listen to your body, last thing you want is rushing through it and getting injured, good luck!! :)
  • tinypastels
    tinypastels Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I personally started using the Treadmill Beatburn app last March. I had never been a good runner. It uses your own music to cue you how fast to run. And they're intervals of walk/jog/walk/jog. Next thing you know you end your 30 minutes like, "I just ran that whole thing!" So that was March 2012, by June 2012 I jogged 6 miles straight! Then again, I am young, but you get the picture :)
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    C25k is a great program and is very effective for begginners. The main idea is that you start by walking and running intervals, and slowly the walking intervals get shorter until they're no longer there.
    A cross trainer is not the same impact as a treadmill, so it's safer, but does not give you the same effects as running.
    Start by going to a good running store (preferably not Sports Authority etc.) and get yourself tested for shoes. Once you know what kind of shoe you want, you can either buy it there or looks elsewhere for better prices. While starting out, you want to look for shoes with stability and comfort. They don't need to be super lightweight since you're not planning on racing yet. New Balance tends to be a good fit for most beginning runners. ASICS are my shoe of preference.
    After that, go with a program! Listen to your body. Find out what hurts and what doesn't is good. A good warm-up routine will also help keep you injury free... some stretching, high knees, butt kicks, etc. will help.
    And no matter what, if you're running, you're a runner. :)
  • lmc8774
    lmc8774 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have had success with the C25K as someone else mentioned. Don't expect results too soon and work at it consistently. Practice! For shoes, there are a ton of options. Some shoes offer more support, some less. Some are made for a heel strike, some for mid-foot. As a new runner I would go to a specialty running store and get a good basic shoe. You may go through a few pairs finding the right one. Running is hard for me too, but I find it very rewarding. Good luck and have fun!
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I am also new to running, I have been trying to run a certain distance ( make sure to pace yourself) and then I walk a certain distance and then run. I am going longer and longer on the running, but I have to make sure I don't sprint trying to get it over with lol.
  • annab1684
    annab1684 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I finished Couch to 5K today and feel a bit like I could take on the world - DO IT!
    Also make sure you have running shoes and that the person in the shop checks your feet before advising you on which ones. Other than that - don't go too fast. Good luck and have fun (even when you feel like you might die - it'll feel good afterwards!)
  • TheLittleGingerDoesWeightLoss
    Options
    Go mind-numbingly slow. Couch to 5K is great, but have a slow conversational pace to prevent from burning out from having started out too fast. .

Couch to 5K is a great way to start establishing a running habit.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Get some good running shoes preferably from a good running store that can help you get the right shoe for your gait and increase your mileage slowly
  • Katychla
    Katychla Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    All these replies are getting ME excited to start running!
  • cy10950
    cy10950 Posts: 5
    Options
    The way I started was that a trainer from my gym basically just signed me up for a 5K race with some other ladies who were members at my gym. It was about 2 months away from the time she signed me up, so she told me to prepare by running 1/4 of a 5K (a little less than a mile), then 1/2 of a 5K (1.5 mi), then 3/4 (>2 mi), and so on spread out over a couple weeks, slowly building up my endurance. Now, after the months afterword, I run 30 minutes or a 5K (c. 3 mi) a few days a week---- AND I actually enjoy it. Especially outdoors in the nice weather. This is from someone who used to dread jogging or running. Also, as a lot of people have replied-- good sneakers are a must! Not too snug! Good luck! :)