Alfredo sauce that's light on calories but LOADED with taste

Options
124»

Replies

• t7mitch
    t7mitch Posts: 23 Member
    Options

FYI: Alfredo only has 2 ingredients; butter and parm. Pretty hard to find where to lighten that

This is an alternative recipe for those who like the taste of alfredo. You're welcome to try it or not. :)

Ha ha! I love it...
  • ravenribbs
    ravenribbs Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! I love the taste of alfredo, wherever it came from or whoever bastardized it. If I can approach the taste, count me in!
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a low cal alfredo sauce, give this one a try. The key is finding the Green Moutain Farms Greek Cream Cheese. It's a relatively new product but is rapidly gaining traction in the marketplace. I know it can be found in Wegmans and some Walmarts at the moment. My 13 yr old thought it was one of the best alfredo sauces she's ever had.

Greek Cream Cheese Alfredo Sauce

8 oz Green Mountain Farms Greek Cream Cheese
    1/2 C (120 ml) Swanson Low Sodium Chicken Broth
    41 g Belgioso Parmesan, freshly shredded from block
    90 ml Upstate Farms Fat Free Half & Half
    Garlic Powder to taste (a few dashes)

Mix cream cheese and chicken broth in sauce pan, stirring until cheese melts. Add in parmesan, half & half and garlic powder. Heat until warm.

*I included the Swanson, Belgioso & Upstate Farms brands because those are what I used when coming up with the recipe and figuring out the nutritional values.

Nutrition per gram:

Calories = 1.6
    Fat = .09
    Cholesterol = .22
    Sodium = 3.3
    Carb = .07
    Protein = .11

Per 2 oz: (Values are rounded up or down to nearest whole number)

Calories = 91
    Fat = 5
    Cholesterol = 13
    Sodium = 188
    Carb = 4
    Protein = 6

Compared to the OP's 2 oz recipe:

Nutritional info
    Calories- 129
    Fat- 10.9 grams
    Poly- 1.4
    Mono- .1

Sodium- 230 mg
    Carbs- 2.6
    Fiber- .3
    Sugars- 1
    Protein- 6.3

Well, you saved 40 calories, but carbs are a bit higher. Saved some fat, but I'm always good on fat. I don't know why so many people have to out do the calorie count. OP's recipe is really decadent and taste like it's from a restaurant. Not saying your recipe doesn't look wonderful though, but it's just weird. If some people can't fit in 129 calories into their dinner than just don't have alfredo sauce that day!
  • newbeg1ning
    newbeg1ning Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    If you're looking for a low cal alfredo sauce, give this one a try. The key is finding the Green Moutain Farms Greek Cream Cheese. It's a relatively new product but is rapidly gaining traction in the marketplace. I know it can be found in Wegmans and some Walmarts at the moment. My 13 yr old thought it was one of the best alfredo sauces she's ever had.

Mix cream cheese and chicken broth in sauce pan, stirring until cheese melts. Add in parmesan, half & half and garlic powder. Heat until warm.

*I included the Swanson, Belgioso & Upstate Farms brands because those are what I used when coming up with the recipe and figuring out the nutritional values.

Nutrition per gram:

Calories = 1.6
    Fat = .09
    Cholesterol = .22
    Sodium = 3.3
    Carb = .07
    Protein = .11

Calories = 91
    Fat = 5
    Cholesterol = 13
    Sodium = 188
    Carb = 4
    Protein = 6

Nutritional info
    Calories- 129
    Fat- 10.9 grams
    Poly- 1.4
    Mono- .1

Sodium- 230 mg
    Carbs- 2.6
    Fiber- .3
    Sugars- 1
    Protein- 6.3

Well, you saved 40 calories, but carbs are a bit higher. Saved some fat, but I'm always good on fat. I don't know why so many people have to out do the calorie count. OP's recipe is really decadent and taste like it's from a restaurant. Not saying your recipe doesn't look wonderful though, but it's just weird. If some people can't fit in 129 calories into their dinner than just don't have alfredo sauce that day!

I didn't post the recipe to 'out do' anyone. You're the one taking that view point. I just posted it as an alternative option since it is lower in calories. To each his own.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options

Nutrition per gram:

Calories = 1.6
    Fat = .09
    Cholesterol = .22
    Sodium = 3.3
    Carb = .07
    Protein = .11

Calories = 91
    Fat = 5
    Cholesterol = 13
    Sodium = 188
    Carb = 4
    Protein = 6

Nutritional info
    Calories- 129
    Fat- 10.9 grams
    Poly- 1.4
    Mono- .1

Sodium- 230 mg
    Carbs- 2.6
    Fiber- .3
    Sugars- 1
    Protein- 6.3

I didn't post the recipe to 'out do' anyone. You're the one taking that view point. I just posted it as an alternative option since it is lower in calories. To each his own.

Tae Kwon Do Chick- yeah, sorry about that. I was in a bad mood! Thanks for sharing a lighter option. Peace!
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I've made this before. It's pretty good. :)
  • ninjakowski
    ninjakowski Posts: 158
    Options
    bump.
  • TheNavet
    TheNavet Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Bump, thanks!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try this!
  • jsjp
    jsjp Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Looks delicious...So going to try this.
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nidda_C
    Nidda_C Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    saving
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that, about alfredo sauce being american, will try the original version sometime soon.

My regular, I guess, american alfredo is just a little knob of butter, & a bit of greek yogurt (warmed by tossing into cooked pasta over heat, not boiling it or anything), salt, fresh pepper - no parm. Generally if I want to make a sauce (soup, chili) creamier, I use greek yogurt.

Another quick/easy pasta thing is just olive oil with garlic, olives, mushrooms and pancetta or sausage, could prob do it with butter vs oil for an alfredo-ey feel. edit: sometimes it's nice to throw in a handful of cherry tomatoes (cook for like 20 seconds at the last minute) for colour and a little pop of something fresh.
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    trying this! thank you!
  • MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump.