Alcohol

Options
124»

Replies

• Requiembell
    Requiembell Posts: 106 Member
    Options

I just love that you said that! Good for you, I drink wine a few nights a week not because I need it but because I like it :) stuffy folks good grief.

You love an angry snarky outburst after asking a question and not liking the answer you heard?

Perhaps you should check yourself too.

When you ask a question, take the answer and either use it or disregard it. The fact that there is such an emotional backlash associated with hearing something you don't like really should make you wonder why you have such an attachment.

There is no one here that can force anyone to do anything and I am willing to bet that most people could care less what people do, so perhaps you too should take the tone down a bit and examine just why it is you are so attached to this idea.
  • losbeatlesmolan
    Options
    luckily, i don't enjoy alcohol at all!
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    hi chickie!
    although i dont drink wine, i do drink pepsi and crown royal which is a high caloric/carb drink but its my end of the day treat lol not everyday but more often than not
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    My dinner last night was dos xx...
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    "... it's the emotional attachment that people place to alcohol that is the problem..."

^^^^THIS^^^^^ Same goes for food. If there is any food that you can't give up for better health, then you probably shouldn't be eating it at all. It's too important to you if it is more important than your health. That's called an addiction. I've worked with many addicts in the past. Addictions are subtle and progressive. One day an addict wakes up and realizes that his/her life revolves around a substance. It is at that point that help is sought.

I think this might be a bit much. Are you implying that eating bad foods or drinking in moderation is actually an addiction? If someone ate potato chips once in awhile instead of giving them up completely then they are addicted? I don't think that is the definition of addiction at all.

If I am reading that wrong - totally sorry for misunderstanding.

One thing that should be considered though - moderate drinking may in fact be healthier than complete abstinence:

From article I posted earlier (http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html)

The benefits of moderate drinking are:

Improves insulin sensitivity
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12393073

Potentially improves trigyceride concentrations
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12020337

Can actually help Glycemic control (even on peopel with type 2 diabities)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20627495

Etc... If you read the original article I posted, it links to even more studies that show a wide variety of the benefits of moderate drinking.

Fully agree. Bring on the booze! And OP, you don't even have to necessarily burn it off that DAY. If your average for your deficit seems to be right, and you're still losing, I say enjoy, indulge, and have a great time because life is too short.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

I just love that you said that! Good for you, I drink wine a few nights a week not because I need it but because I like it :) stuffy folks good grief.

You love an angry snarky outburst after asking a question and not liking the answer you heard?

When you ask a question, take the answer and either use it or disregard it. The fact that there is such an emotional backlash associated with hearing something you don't like really should make you wonder why you have such an attachment.

There is no one here that can force anyone to do anything and I am willing to bet that most people could care less what people do, so perhaps you too should take the tone down a bit and examine just why it is you are so attached to this idea.

I'll admit that the response the OP gave was a bit uncalled for but I think she made a very good point.

OP was asking about diet advice and the original posters comment didn't offer any. It just said in so many words that she thought OP had a drinking problem. And now, it appears, that you in another round about way are saying that because the OP was offended by the comment that this is due to her attachment with alcohol. I think more practical advice would have been to say:

"Maybe just invite a friend over and split a bottle with them."
    "You can still drink and lose weight as long as you stay within a calorie deficit."

But to arbitrarily tell someone they have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol over a postthey made on a fitness forum is irresponsible on both of your parts as you have no idea whether or not OP has an unhealthy attachment to alcohol.
  • Requiembell
    Requiembell Posts: 106 Member
    Options

I'll admit that the response the OP gave was a bit uncalled for but I think she made a very good point.

OP was asking about diet advice and the original posters comment didn't offer any. It just said in so many words that she thought OP had a drinking problem. And now, it appears, that you in another round about way are saying that because the OP was offended by the comment that this is due to her attachment with alcohol. I think more practical advice would have been to say:

"You can still drink and lose weight as long as you stay within a calorie deficit."

But to arbitrarily tell someone they have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol over a postthey made on a fitness forum is irresponsible on both of your parts as you have no idea whether or not OP has an unhealthy attachment to alcohol.

What I said was not arbitrary.

If she wanted what she said she wanted, she had many opportunities to help me help her. Instead she wanted to change her story and snark. Fine, I don't care what she does with her life.

Others chose to snark as well. That's good too. Everyone can do what they want as far as I am concerned.

Here is the practical advice. I do not enable. You don't cooperate, you are on your own.

Anyone who wanted to defend the snark should check themselves and examine why they have such an emotional attachment to that behavior. Clearly it is hitting something uncomfortable in their own life.
  • shinitaru
    shinitaru Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    "... it's the emotional attachment that people place to alcohol that is the problem..."

^^^^THIS^^^^^ Same goes for food. If there is any food that you can't give up for better health, then you probably shouldn't be eating it at all. It's too important to you if it is more important than your health. That's called an addiction. I've worked with many addicts in the past. Addictions are subtle and progressive. One day an addict wakes up and realizes that his/her life revolves around a substance. It is at that point that help is sought.

I think this might be a bit much. Are you implying that eating bad foods or drinking in moderation is actually an addiction? If someone ate potato chips once in awhile instead of giving them up completely then they are addicted? I don't think that is the definition of addiction at all.

If I am reading that wrong - totally sorry for misunderstanding.

One thing that should be considered though - moderate drinking may in fact be healthier than complete abstinence:

From article I posted earlier (http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html)

The benefits of moderate drinking are:

Improves insulin sensitivity
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12393073

Potentially improves trigyceride concentrations
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12020337

Can actually help Glycemic control (even on peopel with type 2 diabities)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20627495

Etc... If you read the original article I posted, it links to even more studies that show a wide variety of the benefits of moderate drinking.

I think the key word is "moderate". If it is truly moderate, I have no problem with it. But, I know several people who claim to be "moderate" drinkers and that they "could give it up in a minute". When you talk to their spouses and children, it is a different story. They worriedly report that the quantity that gave their loved one "a mellow buzz" a few years ago, has been added to and is more frequent, and now there are more signs of impairment, as their loved one continues to drink "moderately". Denial is a very bring problem for addicts, at the beginning stages of their addiction. If someone drinks to get drunk, that is not moderate. If someone sits down and eats an entire package of Oreos before he/she gets up again, (or even over the course of a day) that is not moderation. Not judging here--just warning others to please avoid kidding themselves. To make certain that they really are moderate in their pursuit of pleasure. I have seen too many lives destroyed, or otherwise impaired, by habits that are anything but moderate. :heart: and peace.

Everything in moderation...including moderation :)
  • Cr01502
    Options

If she wanted what she said she wanted, she had many opportunities to help me help her. Instead she wanted to change her story and snark. Fine, I don't care what she does with her life.

Others chose to snark as well. That's good too. Everyone can do what they want as far as I am concerned.

Here is the practical advice. I do not enable. You don't cooperate, you are on your own.

Anyone who wanted to defend the snark should check themselves and examine why they have such an emotional attachment to that behavior. Clearly it is hitting something uncomfortable in their own life.

I didn't see that her story changed. I saw a couple of people rush to conclusions and then I saw someone defend themselves in, albeit, not the most appropriate manner.

Maybe you now have an emotional attachment to diagnosing people with emotional attachments . . . .
  • shinitaru
    Options

I didn't see that her story changed. I saw a couple of people rush to conclusions and then I saw someone defend themselves in, albeit, not the most appropriate manner.

Maybe you now have an emotional attachment to diagnosing people with emotional attachments . . . .

actually, after re-reading I was right to begin with. This icebear guy seems to have a compulsive need to be right all the time. To try to assign fault with what he presumes to be the motivations of others is pure arrogance. That the only reason we could possibly disagree with him is because we have issues in our own lives? ROFL! Maybe he's just being presumptuous and we're all just calling him on it? That's a perfectly good explanation for it too...
  • buffty
    buffty Posts: 83
    Options
    This is proving to be quite the polarizing topic!

I really appreciate those who have got in touch with me about this directly and also all the positive posts from people who appreciate the occasional tipple and know where I'm coming from. The resounding message seems to be, as long as you're going under your calories and working out each day, having wine occasionally won't hurt.

This is good to know as I feel guilty about everything and anything that I'm doing wrong at the moment. I get really angry with myself if I don't work out every day, and I feel awful if my sugar or salt level goes over my daily limit at any point. Usually it's just having a smoothie for breakfast that will make all the difference, but where the heck am I supposed to get my nutrients?! Anyway my point is I've been really beating myself up about drinking wine and taking on a worthless 500 calories when I do, so thanks to everyone who said don't worry! enjoy life! it's fine in moderation!

This post was about remorse over the empty calories I've wasted by indulging in the occasional bottle of wine. Those who have decided to be judgemental fascists and armchair psychiatrists who have diagnosed me with an alcohol problem, maybe you should lighten up!

This diet and exercise regime is punishing enough without other people criticising, and since we're all in it together, trying to achieve the same aim, maybe a little support might be nice. I've seen a few tyrants on here who seem to constantly post spiteful patronising responses to posters who are struggling. It's pretty unpleasant, I think we should all support each other and reserve judgement.
  • shinitaru
    Options

I really appreciate those who have got in touch with me about this directly and also all the positive posts from people who appreciate the occasional tipple and know where I'm coming from. The resounding message seems to be, as long as you're going under your calories and working out each day, having wine occasionally won't hurt.

This is good to know as I feel guilty about everything and anything that I'm doing wrong at the moment. I get really angry with myself if I don't work out every day, and I feel awful if my sugar or salt level goes over my daily limit at any point. Usually it's just having a smoothie for breakfast that will make all the difference, but where the heck am I supposed to get my nutrients?! Anyway my point is I've been really beating myself up about drinking wine and taking on a worthless 500 calories when I do, so thanks to everyone who said don't worry! enjoy life! it's fine in moderation!

This post was about remorse over the empty calories I've wasted by indulging in the occasional bottle of wine. Those who have decided to be judgemental fascists and armchair psychiatrists who have diagnosed me with an alcohol problem, maybe you should lighten up!

This diet and exercise regime is punishing enough without other people criticising, and since we're all in it together, trying to achieve the same aim, maybe a little support might be nice. I've seen a few tyrants on here who seem to constantly post spiteful patronising responses to posters who are struggling. It's pretty unpleasant, I think we should all support each other and reserve judgement.

It always is. There are a lot of these people seem to assume that everyone who drinks is a drunk. Or you get the AA Nazis that can't understand that not everyone has the same problems with alcohol as they do. My parents drank off and on their entire lives and never became alcoholics and I drink even less than they do. But when I drink when I want to. I have a fifth of Captain Morgan's in my freezer right now but I'm not drinking until I can get with a dietician since I was recently diagnosed with diabetes.

I shouldn't have replied the way I did in the earlier post but it just gets me when people act like their opinion is the only one that matters and if I disagree then there is obviously something wrong with me. That attitude just takes me there. ~Peace
  • Cr01502
    Options

1. Unless you have a medical reason to do so don't bother tracking your sugar. Just watch your overall carbohydrate and calorie intake and don't go over them.

2. Don't feel guilty about having food. And don't workout everyday. This is a lifestyle change and need to be something that you can maintain long term.

3. If you've gotten adequate protein and fats in your diet and still have extra calories there is absolutely zero reason that you can't have a slice of pizza, a bowl of ice cream, or a glass of wine. This is not supposed to be punishing. It's supposed to be rewarding. Eat a healthy well balanced diet, exercise regularly, stay in a calorie deficit, and enjoy a treat every now and again.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/903628-one-year-of-barbells-and-ice-cream-my-story-so-far-pics?hl=barbells+and+ice+cream

^^Read this. I think it will help you greatly.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

Thank you