I am a girl, and I want to build muscle

Options
I need a good workout
I need a good diet plan
(please) give them to me.
No more slacking off for me, I'm doing this for real.
I am 5'1", 120 lbs on a good day, and I eat 1300-1600 calories a day.
I don't want something that has 'good reviews' I want something, even if it's just small tips, that you know works.
Thank you and good day.

Replies

• kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    i'm in a similar situation, but I weigh a bit more than you. Anywho, my boyfriend helped me with weight lifting. I try to lift three days a week, at the gym

day 1- back, biceps, forearms
    day 2- shoulders triceps, chest
    day 3- legs (glutes, hammies, quads, hip adductor abductor, calves)

all three days, core

here are some of my favorite exercises for some of these muscle groups:

calves
    standing, feet shoulder width apart, dumbells in each hand (yesterday I used 17.5 in each hand), arms dangling at sides but not resting on your body. Then you go up on your tiptoes and back to the ground. 4 sets of 15 reps. YOU WILL FEEL THE BURN. the magic happens when you work through the burn =)

shoulders
    Grab a circular weight (I use a ten pounder) Grasp the weight with both hands so its in front up you. With straight arms, lift it to eye level, then lower it. 4 sets of fifteen.

shoulders
    grab 2 5lb circular weights. One in each arm. Lift arms to the sides till the are parallel with the ground. 4 sets of 15.

glutes- the booty!
    I love love love bumping up the incline on the treadmill as much as possible. Then I walk backwards as long as I can till it burns too much (I try to make it to five minutes)

For the other muscles groups. I just find the machines at the gym meant to work those muscles and then do four sets of 15 at a comfortable weight.

Blessings in your journey!
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    OH, and each of the days that I lift, I follow the lifting with an hour of cardio. Usually the elliptical.

and on days where I lift I drink a protein shake to aid in muscle recovery.

as far as diet goes, I am trying to eat 6 times a day. Three meals that are between 250-400 cals with 200 cal or less snacks.

and I usually eat back my exercise cals.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Diet Plan.
    This: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
    Eat whatever you want.
    If you want to build muscle, skew your macronutrient balance toward protein (1g/lb of body weight minimum.)
    Once your noob gains are done, the only way your body will begin muscle protein synthesis is with a calorie surplus. You will also gain some fat if your 'bulking'

Workout Plan.
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
    You'll need a bench, a squat rack, a barbell, and plates - or a gym. Invest in a personal trainer who knows weight training to help you with your form - better than youtube, a bit.

Combine these two and you will have a dangerously fantastic body.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Zumba?
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a gym or can you get a barbell, plates, rack, and bench? If yes, I highly recommend a program with compound lifts like strong lifts (as Burt mentioned above) or starting strength. Here is a quick overview of starting strength that includes links to videos that explain form: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=712752&page=1

I am 5'2 and 110, just three months of this type of training has improved my body and I've gained strength. Good luck!
  • whierd
    Options
    Have you tried getting up and looking into it for yourself rather than asking other people to tell you want to do? Why should people do your research for you? Do you want us to come to the gym and lift the weights for you too? :angry: :explode:

I like muffins.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Have you tried getting up and looking into it for yourself rather than asking other people to tell you want to do? Why should people do your research for you? Do you want us to come to the gym and lift the weights for you too? :angry: :explode:

I like muffins.

And muffins like you.
  • Ginerrva
    Ginerrva Posts: 226
    Options
    Yes I have, thank you very much. I wasn't asking you to research, I was asking you to tell me what worked for you. Something that you know for a fact works.

You needn't be rude about it.
  • txs78746
    txs78746 Posts: 24
    Options
    As a general suggestion start writing down what you lift, reps, weights and rest between. Multi-muscle lifts are a good place to start. Squats, push-ups, dips and pull-ups come to mind. Free weights help build small support muscles that are not stressed by the machines. Ask a trainer to guide you through proper form and practice, practice, practice them. Proper form will help you get big without the injury. It's far easier to start doing it right, rather then trying to relearn it once the weight gets dangerous.

To continue to build muscle you need to stress your muscle more then the previous workout. I've had a couple of lady friends who complain they can't build muscle, but they never progress past the brightly colored 10 pound weights. Shoot for about 8 *good form* lifts. If you are able to 10, 12 or more, the weight is too light to continue the muscle building.

Start slow and low, plan to build over time. Your muscles are more flexible then the tendons that attach them to your bones. They will be sore for a while, longer then your muscles. It's better to give them a chance to adapt and get used to the new way of doing business.

As a previous reply mentioned you will probably see some great gains at first, then tapering off perhaps to a plateau. Having a record to review will show when this happens. Add weight or change routine to stress you body into adapting by building muscle again.

Good luck, keep with it!
  • whierd
    Options

I like muffins.

And muffins like you.

Did you just call me fat?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I need a good workout
    I need a good diet plan
    No more slacking off for me,
    I'm doing this for real.
    I don't want something that has 'good reviews' I want something, even if it's just small tips, that you know works.
    Thank you and good day.

you're already slacking off. if you don't have the fortitude to look up your own diet and workout plan you probably aren't ready to follow thru with whatever i come up with for you to do.

check back in when you're ready to stop hitchhiking
  • Ginerrva
    Options
    I need a good workout
    I need a good diet plan
    No more slacking off for me,
    I'm doing this for real.
    Thank you and good day.

you're already slacking off. if you don't have the fortitude to look up your own diet and workout plan you probably aren't ready to follow thru with whatever i come up with for you to do.

check back in when you're ready to stop hitchhiking
    Dude, im not asking you to research for me. I'm trying to get something that worked for someone else already!
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    i'm in a similar situation, but I weigh a bit more than you. Anywho, my boyfriend helped me with weight lifting. I try to lift three days a week, at the gym

day 1- back, biceps, forearms
    day 2- shoulders triceps, chest
    day 3- legs (glutes, hammies, quads, hip adductor abductor, calves)

all three days, core

here are some of my favorite exercises for some of these muscle groups:

calves
    standing, feet shoulder width apart, dumbells in each hand (yesterday I used 17.5 in each hand), arms dangling at sides but not resting on your body. Then you go up on your tiptoes and back to the ground. 4 sets of 15 reps. YOU WILL FEEL THE BURN. the magic happens when you work through the burn =)

shoulders
    Grab a circular weight (I use a ten pounder) Grasp the weight with both hands so its in front up you. With straight arms, lift it to eye level, then lower it. 4 sets of fifteen.

shoulders
    grab 2 5lb circular weights. One in each arm. Lift arms to the sides till the are parallel with the ground. 4 sets of 15.

glutes- the booty!
    I love love love bumping up the incline on the treadmill as much as possible. Then I walk backwards as long as I can till it burns too much (I try to make it to five minutes)

For the other muscles groups. I just find the machines at the gym meant to work those muscles and then do four sets of 15 at a comfortable weight.

Blessings in your journey!

And as sweet and well meaning as this post is, this is why it's not a good idea to ask a question like you just have on an open forum. The spectrum is just too broad and the advice you will receive won't be tailored to your needs. You really need to do your own research based on your goals.
  • Ginerrva
    Options
    Holy crap, I asked a simple question and I'm getting so much hate. It's not even just thing like 'hey, I can't really answer your questions, and here's why.' It's more like 'shame on you for trying to get help. omg, the audacity you must have to ask us what we did to get thin, like dont be lazy and do it yourself.'

You already know the low self esteem that accompanies being out of shape, and yet this is how this site treats each other?
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    I need a good workout
    I need a good diet plan
    Thank you and good day.

And I quote:

I need a good workout
    I need a good diet plan

Thats not asking advice, or what has worked for others, that's asking people to do the research for you IMO. It's not hate, or people being mean. It's just saying it as it's typed by you. Maybe re phrase the question?
  • sexymuffintop
    Options

I like muffins.

And muffins like you.

Did you just call me fat?

You have to pay for the insult service.
  • Ginerrva
    Options
    I need a good workout
    I need a good diet plan
    Thank you and good day.

And I quote:

I need a good workout
    I need a good diet plan

Thats not asking advice, or what has worked for others, that's asking people to do the research for you IMO. It's not hate, or people being mean. It's just saying it as it's typed by you. Maybe re phrase the question?
    I apologize if it seemed that way, but I personally do not believe you had the right to put me down for it. But I also remember typing in the same post: "I don't want something that has 'good reviews' I want something, even if it's just small tips, that you know works."
  • Stephiestephs
    Stephiestephs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, I asked a simple question and I'm getting so much hate. It's not even just thing like 'hey, I can't really answer your questions, and here's why.' It's more like 'shame on you for trying to get help. omg, the audacity you must have to ask us what we did to get thin, like dont be lazy and do it yourself.'

You already know the low self esteem that accompanies being out of shape, and yet this is how this site treats each other?

Hopefully some nice people will chime in soon. Read what Burt wrote that is good advice. I don't think you deserve to be responded to that way. Most of the time when people do research of stuff like diet and excersize mfp forums come up in google anyway so why not just ask?? I didn't think the way you worded it was wrong. You seemed sincere and you said please. I ended up in here because of Jillian Michael shred before / after photos. Just googling for inspiration.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

I don't get it either. Your OP seemed perfectly innocuous to me, but it seems to have pushed some people's buttons. Everything I think I know about strength I got from reading discussions on mfp, so don't give up on us yet!

Sorry I have no experience to share yet and I hope you'll have plenty of success :flowerforyou: