Some eating out advice

13»

Replies

• AriesGrl
    AriesGrl Posts: 174 Member
    I don't see this as eating out advice. This is nothing new. This is cruel. We are all here to support each other not tear or break each other down. I don't find anything humours about this at all. This just makes someone not want to go out and eat. I think you should have chosen your words better or maybe your title diffrent. But this is just my thoughts. Just don't think this is funny in anyway. Losing weight is hard enough all by itself.

WHY WOULD YOU POST SOMETHING LIKE THAT??? PEOPLE ARE HERE TO GET SUPPORT TO FEEL BETTER ABOUT THEMSELVES, AND THIS JUST MAKES THEM FEEL WORSE. AND AS FAR AS DIET SODA GOES IT WORKS BOTH WAYS, MY MOM WEIGHED 100 LBS AND WHEN SHE WOULD ORDER DIET COKE THEY WAITERS WOULD LAUGH AT HER, AND IT MADE HER FEEL BAD. so YOU SHOULD THINK ABOUT OTHERS FEELINGS BEFORE YOU SAY THIS STUFF.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    I don't see this as eating out advice. This is nothing new. This is cruel. We are all here to support each other not tear or break each other down. I don't find anything humours about this at all. This just makes someone not want to go out and eat. I think you should have chosen your words better or maybe your title diffrent. But this is just my thoughts. Just don't think this is funny in anyway. Losing weight is hard enough all by itself.

WHY WOULD YOU POST SOMETHING LIKE THAT??? PEOPLE ARE HERE TO GET SUPPORT TO FEEL BETTER ABOUT THEMSELVES, AND THIS JUST MAKES THEM FEEL WORSE. AND AS FAR AS DIET SODA GOES IT WORKS BOTH WAYS, MY MOM WEIGHED 100 LBS AND WHEN SHE WOULD ORDER DIET COKE THEY WAITERS WOULD LAUGH AT HER, AND IT MADE HER FEEL BAD. so YOU SHOULD THINK ABOUT OTHERS FEELINGS BEFORE YOU SAY THIS STUFF.

in all fairness, she has a right to think any way she wants. it's our responsibility to not freak out over it. i don't think she was very funny nor clever, but i also don't really care what waitresses at olive garden think. i know that sounds kind of cruel, but anyone who made sweeping generalizations about a person and/or their lifestyle without having any solid knowledge about it, is - in my opinon - a person i would rather not spend time with.

i rarely go out to eat, and i almost never talk so intimately about my food choices with the waitress. i expect them to be professional and courteous and give me a reasonably honest answer if i ask them about a dish - do they like it? is it spicy? etcetera. if someone thinks ill of me because i order a diet coke, well, that's not someone i much respect in the first place. make sense?

people like this do exist. but they are few in the world. most people are sensitive and kind, unassuming and genuine. these are the people with whom i choose to spend time. i respect their opinions. everyone else? well, we just need to consider the sources.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Its a copy from a stinkin chain email . . relax guys.
  • that's not really something I think someone would want to read when they open up fast food tips. kinda misleading and a waste of space to me. people are on here for support - and this prob made a lot of people just feel more self-conscious and hurt. Also - some people get diet coke b/c of blood sugar levels and to avoid cavities. Also, some people that are bigger really might not indulge very often. I know a couple people who have serious thyroid problems and eat strict nearly all the time and can't do anything about how big they are. And as for the pasta thing - some people don't like wheat and also, I prefer wider noodles. Especially when it comes to something like angel hair pasta - YUCK! I hate that texture.

A tip - when posing something like this - do in the "chit chat, fun and games" section..... no food and nutrition. Really inconsiderate of you I think.... especially with the "topic" you chose. Should have labeled it as "things that a total jerk would think about your fast food meal" or whatever. Just try not to mislead people into clicking on chain letter crap.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    sorry, i didn't find it funny either. more crass than anything. but the story about the wide load? freaking hilarious!
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    I think this whole topic reinforces the fact the each and every one of us must be confident in ourselves. There will always, always, always be servers, waitresses/waiters, bartenders, etc. that have opinions. Sadly, we live in a society that allows negative stereotypes to exist; be it race, religion, color, or WEIGHT. I am not directing anything towards the OP; I believe she was just stating what others around her express. Crass, maybe, but truth be told, these things ARE being said behind our backs.

Part of accepting a lifestyle change is accepting the criticism, etc. that comes with it from friends, family or even strangers. And that criticism includes hurtful remarks, smirks, and flat out laughs in our faces. But part of being healthy on the inside, as well as the outside, is to exude a sense of confidence in your actions and decisions.

So what if the waiter looks at you like your are nuts that you ordered a Diet Coke with your Chicken Alfredo. Did he monitor his menu all week? Did he burn a certain amount of calories to allow for such a treat? The key here is to develop and nurture the confidence and the person WITHIN!!!!

Maybe I'm alone in thinking this, but I believe that the confidence you have within yourself exudes from your smile and your self-being. Kinda like walking into a room of very sad people and then making everyone smile. They may laugh at you and your Diet Coke at the beginning of the meal, but by the end of the meal, they will honestly see how comfortable you are with YOURSELF and you will find their demeanor has changed.

Just my $.02
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    sorry, i didn't find it funny either. more crass than anything. but the story about the wide load? freaking hilarious!

thanks, yeah, it was really funny. the girl was so awkward after it all happened; she didn't mean anything by it and i didn't take it personally, it was just a funny instance.
  • To be honest, before that would have really offended me .. but now I just find it freaking hilarious.

You know those booths that some states have ..that when you go through and they ask if we are caring fruits or vegetables?
    Last time I went through one in California, they asked ..and I said "Do you mean besides us?" :laugh:

Also the weight stations, I used to be a truck driver .. when we are in a regular car, and we go through that area, I tell my hubby .. I guess we better pull over then!
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member

Also the weight stations, I used to be a truck driver .. when we are in a regular car, and we go through that area, I tell my hubby .. I guess we better pull over then!

Thats how I gained 120 lbs not the career for a overeater:laugh:
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    now we are talking! that is a funny server comment.......or making you run to the back to see if we have any hot chocolate during the evening rush, only to order coffee upon your return......eyeroll!!

Now I feel all self conscious....
    I was a server at a very upscale steakhouse while in college and I'd cry a little bit inside every time someone ordered their beef well done. It's their money and their prerogative if they wanted to eat a $50 lump of charcoal, but it was such a tragic waste of AMAZING meat...
    Might be a bit judgmental, but i couldn't help but think of the poor, prime grade, delicious cow who died just to be ruined. :-P

OMG. This describes both my parents. They always order their meat well done. I, too, cry a little on the inside every time they order steaks well done at a restaurant. I bet the server does, too...

I never liked steak much growing up because it was always cooked to bits. The first time I ate a high-end steakhouse and ordered meat medium-rare. Oh man, rainbows and unicorns shot out of my tastebuds.

Maybe more awful than steak is getting ahi tuna "well done." Arrrrghhh it's basically supposed to be raw on the inside and lightly seared on the outsides.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    I thought this was funny. Thanks for sharing.

It is definitely the reality of eating out (coming from a server for years).

Those that are offended, take it all with a grain of salt and walk back in that restaurant at your goal weight, order whatever you want plus the diet (or regular) coke, and have a good chuckle when that waiter or waitress looks heavier than you do, even with your alfredo sauce. :)
This discussion has been closed.