I am a girl, and I want to build muscle

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

TIPS: when building muscle is the tension you build that counts, not the time. when you are doing cardio you want to run as long as you can. when strength building you want to do as many "reps" as possible. think of it like a balloon with air.. you sit and blow, blow, blow.... you are essentially filling your muscles with oxygen... you want to rep, rep, rep, rep

Time under tension is important but so is the weight that you lift. Over a certain amount of reps does nothing extra for you - especially if the weight is too light and therefore the reps are really high.

I do not think you are saying to do a lot of reps from the rest of your post - but wanted to make it clear.
  • tamarawisniewski
    tamarawisniewski Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I can not believe how rude some of these posts are. I thought the question was a valid one. This site is supposed to be for health/fitness/support.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Have you tried getting up and looking into it for yourself rather than asking other people to tell you want to do? Why should people do your research for you? Do you want us to come to the gym and lift the weights for you too? :angry: :explode:
    WOW talk about being unsupportive. Someone new to this journey deserves support and not this one.

EDIT: Also learn to look back from how you started out. Don't forget that we were also once a beginner or an out of shape, couch potato people who have no idea about fitness. Nobody in this world was born with ripped abs, shapely muscles or a passion to workout.
  • dodgetrukdude
    Options
    Thanks for your time, have a great night everyone!! As suspected, I'll just now keep my personal experience tips to myself. Lord knows opinions are like...

Carry on.
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I recently finished New Rules of Lifting for Women.It's well worth the read.I'm trying to do the same thing.Good luck with everything and definitely check what's out there and see what works for you :)

Hope it all goes well
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Diet Plan.
    This: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
    Eat whatever you want.
    If you want to build muscle, skew your macronutrient balance toward protein (1g/lb of body weight minimum.)
    Once your noob gains are done, the only way your body will begin muscle protein synthesis is with a calorie surplus. You will also gain some fat if your 'bulking'

Workout Plan.
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
    You'll need a bench, a squat rack, a barbell, and plates - or a gym. Invest in a personal trainer who knows weight training to help you with your form - better than youtube, a bit.

Combine these two and you will have a dangerously fantastic body.

I wholeheartedly agree!! ^^^^^
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    For the folks that are shocked at how rude some people can be . . . who knows what will trigger action in someone else? Often here, handing someone their answer on a silver platter doesn't work. Sometimes, someone needs to hear (for instance) "you want to start eating healthy? then start eating healthy!" in order to move forward.

If that sort of support isn't useful to the original poster, there are myriad voices in this thread saying other things.

Focusing on the things that you find offensive or unhelpful - - especially to the extent that you have to comment on them - - is counterproductive.

Edited to add: Incidentally I'm more a silver platter type guy as you can see from my response on page 1. But darn if I haven't benefited time and time again from the people who take time out of their day to give me tough love.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I recently finished New Rules of Lifting for Women.It's well worth the read.I'm trying to do the same thing.Good luck with everything and definitely check what's out there and see what works for you :)

Hope it all goes well

I posted about stronglifts but it is because of all the postives i hear about it. I personally use the NROLFW and just finished Stage 2. I have massive increases in weight that I lift and massive losses in inches. It is AMAZING!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    For the folks that are shocked at how rude some people can be . . . who knows what will trigger action in someone else? Often here, handing someone their answer on a silver platter doesn't work. Sometimes, someone needs to hear (for instance) "you want to start eating healthy? then start eating healthy!" in order to move forward.

If that sort of support isn't useful to the original poster, there are myriad voices in this thread saying other things.

Focusing on the things that you find offensive or unhelpful - - especially to the extent that you have to comment on them - - is counterproductive.

Edited to add: Incidentally I'm more a silver platter type guy as you can see from my response on page 1. But darn if I haven't benefited time and time again from the people who take time out of their day to give me tough love.
    Its understandable and I agree that we need some kind of tough love however it is also important to choose your words wisely. You can give tough love without appearing rude to anyone but in that poster's case, she wrote it in a tactless way which is more discouraging rather than being helpful.

EDIT TO ADD: This site is meant for support and is the main reason why a lot of people respond negatively to rude posts
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

EDIT TO ADD: This site is meant for support and is the main reason why a lot of people respond negatively to rude posts

where is that written? just askin
  • kbbauchle
    kbbauchle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hon...don't let them ruffle your feathers. Some people just like to stir the waters and see if they can get someone to jump. Don't give them satisfaction. Just scroll past them and go on the ones who offer the help you are looking for. Best of luck!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Its understandable and I agree that we need some kind of tough love however it is also important to choose your words wisely. You can give tough love without appearing rude to anyone but in that poster's case, she wrote it in a tactless way which is more discouraging rather than being helpful.

Sometimes people phrase their tough love poorly, and sometimes they just have a bad day. I'm not trying to make too many excuses, but it's just too easy to get wrapped around the axle . . . hell, the OP was written tactlessly!

:flowerforyou:
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Re my rudeness.

I was going to turn the other cheek but I'm not known for being able to to keep my mouth shut....so...I personally found the first post by the OP rude. It seemed very blunt and demanding, basically seemed to be asking people to hand her a workout and eating plan and point her in the direction of the nearest gym,. possibly giving her a lift there as well.

I may come across as rude or unhelpful but if you knew me, or my posting history this couldn't be further from the truth. I have been on MFP nearly a year under a different username. I have many many times tried to help people in the past and have often received PM's etc asking for training advice (god knows why as I don't have all the answers!! lol) and I always reply and try to help as much as I can.

I just disliked the tone which the OP was delivered. the 'Give them to me' line about needed exercise and food plans mostly. But hey, we are all guilty or reacting to certain posts in perhaps a way that can be construed as rude or unhelpful I think. I perhaps could of phrased my first posy better yes I admit this.

I stand by my comment though, that her question is too broad. To get the best advice she needs to supply more info about her goals to get better help.

My last thoughts are that some people need to possibly toughen up and not read too much into what strangers post to you on the net. Don't presume I'm inferring a tone or a feeling when perhaps I'm not. Your assumptions are quite possibly wrong. I do believe in the tough love approach yes. All I can say is take the OP and post it on a few choice bodybuilding websites and see what kind or replies you would receive there. I think then you would see that my reply was not overly rude or discouraging.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Diet Plan.
    This: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
    Eat whatever you want.
    If you want to build muscle, skew your macronutrient balance toward protein (1g/lb of body weight minimum.)
    Once your noob gains are done, the only way your body will begin muscle protein synthesis is with a calorie surplus. You will also gain some fat if your 'bulking'

Workout Plan.
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
    You'll need a bench, a squat rack, a barbell, and plates - or a gym. Invest in a personal trainer who knows weight training to help you with your form - better than youtube, a bit.

Combine these two and you will have a dangerously fantastic body.

YES!!! exactly what I was going to suggest.
  • maltipink
    maltipink Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    To the OP, i understand it can be overwhelming when trying to figure out the right direction to take in regards to fitness. Some of the responses you have received here are completely rude and unacceptable. You should not be shamed or made to feel bad because you dared to ask a question.

Getting healthy can be a challenge and very confusing. What works for some may not work for others. It is good however to see a variety of options and whether they showed good results for people. You can then go from there. Personally, I am working through my second round of the Body for Life Challenge. All the information is free and available online. You do not have to participate in the actual EAS challenge or buy their products. I have seen significant gains in strength with this program.

I have also heard great things about "New Rules of Lifting for Women" and also "Chalean Extreme". If you ever need avice, please feel free to PM me. I am here to help!:flowerforyou:
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    "My last thoughts are that some people need to possibly toughen up and not read too much into what strangers post to you on the net. Don't presume I'm inferring a tone or a feeling when perhaps I'm not. Your assumptions are quite possibly wrong. I do believe in the tough love approach yes. All I can say is take the OP and post it on a few choice bodybuilding websites and see what kind or replies you would receive there. I think then you would see that my reply was not overly rude or discouraging."
    [/quote]

But isn't that exactly what you did to the OP.....presumed? As far as people needing to toughen up, I see that as an excuse people make for being rude to others. Since when is it EVER acceptable to be rude to others? People are people whether on the internet or face to face. We all have feelings (or should) and that's what separates us from animals. The problem with our society today is that so many people have "toughened" up to the point that they are cold and heartless. Compassion and love should always be our first response. Sorry, I accidentally cut the "quote" box out.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    But isn't that exactly what you did to the OP.....presumed? As far as people needing to toughen up, I see that as an excuse people make for being rude to others. Since when is it EVER acceptable to be rude to others? People are people whether on the internet or face to face. We all have feelings (or should) and that's what separates us from animals. The problem with our society today is that so many people have "toughened" up to the point that they are cold and heartless. Compassion and love should always be our first response. Sorry, I accidentally cut the "quote" box out.

Strange, because from where I'm standing I've seen people have toughened *down* to the point where a few words on the internet get them all hurt, they think drinking water is hard, and everyone tells them "it's ok, it's ok" to the point that they stop trying to do things for themselves or think for themselves. If no one ever tells anyone, point blank, that are doing it wrong, when will they learn?

Getting in shape is hard. Real life is hard. A lot harder than a few words on the internet. If strangers on the internet are holding you back from reaching your dreams, I'm sorry, but you just aren't ready yet.

KGJOvdb.jpg
    Options

Strange, because from where I'm standing I've seen people have toughened *down* to the point where a few words on the internet get them all hurt, they think drinking water is hard, and everyone tells them "it's ok, it's ok" to the point that they stop trying to do things for themselves or think for themselves. If no one ever tells anyone, point blank, that are doing it wrong, when will they learn?

Getting in shape is hard. Real life is hard. A lot harder than a few words on the internet. If strangers on the internet are holding you back from reaching your dreams, I'm sorry, but you just aren't ready yet.

KGJOvdb.jpg

I agree life is hard and is often made harder than it should be by people that are cold and calloused by their own life. I refuse to live my life based on how hard others perceive life to be. We are all in this together, like it or not so why not make the best of it instead of trying to make things as hard on others as we feel it should be. And I don't recall it being said that anyone on the internet was holding anyone back. Just because someone has feelings, which is human nature, doesn't mean that they are weak and are being held back by others. In my opinion, it's never wrong to expect the best out of others. If you always expect the worst, then that's probably what you'll get.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    jeez talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill!! Lets all just presume i'm black hearted and evil to the core and take the guess work out of the equation. I admit it, ok, i'm satan, the devil, I say mean things, I torture puppies for kicks, I'm bitter, twisted and full of hatred for everyone and everything. I am just full to the brim of hate and evil bile spews from me all day long. I live to put others down and to make everyones life a misery. It's just how I roll....Or maybe I just say it like it is and over sensitive people get hung up on someone being honest rather than being fluffy and pink. Bothered? Not in the least. It's the interweb, I can read stuff without getting all butt hurt about it.
    Options
    Funny how people throw around the word oversensitive to describe someone taking offensive to what they clearly intended to be offensive......Things that make you go, Hmmm??