Yogurt snobs unite! What your favorite?

Options

Replies

• FASTFUELXXX
    FASTFUELXXX Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    SO I GUESS GREEK YOGURT ISNT SUPPOSED 2 UPSET UR STOMACH AM I RITE?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I grew up on Nancy's. It's made in my hometown by family friends. Alas, I can't eat much dairy anymore so I have to enjoy vicariously through the rest of you. :sad:
  • sdpicard
    sdpicard Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    pfffft... amateurs. As a TRUE yogurt snob, I make my own yogurt. I like to add a bit of extra powdered milk to the milk.. it just makes it extra creamy. Also, I've gotten SO good at controlling the tartness of my yogurt through correct timing and rapid cooling. I like to use just regular Dannon yogurt as a starter, but lately there's a fabulous yogurt I've been buying from the Amish market and it's FANTASTIC especially around the fourth or fifth generation of yogurt.

Can you post your recipe/instructions? I am too cheap <ahem> frugal to buy my yogurt. I recently picked up a dozen gallons of milk for 50 cents each because they were expiring that day. I took them home and threw them in the freezer--they are my future yogurt!
  • nyssa1231
    nyssa1231 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I haven't had much yogurt here in the U.S. since we moved back from Barcelona. Everything is too sweet, and nothing is tangy enough. Our British friends who live here all have yogurt makers because of this issue, and they've convinced us get our own!
  • KLM2206
    KLM2206 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Second Aussie on the thread and seconding the Five:Am organic range - love the Vanilla Bean and the Mixed Berry :).
    Tamar Valley would be my second choice.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Fage and Liberte Lemon is my fave!
  • QuietRain
    QuietRain Posts: 157
    Options
    Noosa and Liberte.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    yoomoo.jpg

Yoo Moo!
  • oonaghmolly
    oonaghmolly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I make mine too - takes 5 minutes - 1 litre full fat UHT milk, 1 tbs milk powder, 1 tbs starter ( live bio from previous batch or buy for your first go) mix and keep warm at 40 - 45 degrees for 8 hours.

8 x 125 ml portions @ 82 calories a serving.
    Cost Uk = £1.00

Just add fruit and flavour to suit your taste. I like it with maple syrup or fruit syrup. My girls like it with mashed mango or strawberry jam.

I do use a warmer as in Scotland I can’t predict the room becoming to cold for the yogurt to set

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/3440/Electric-Yoghurt-Maker?src=gfeed&gclid=CJbj1uPBzLYCFdHMtAod5DEAdg

Strained it makes a fabby cream cheese just like Philly but don’t try making cheesecake coz it just will not work

Enjoy and save calories and money
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Sdpicard: Here's an excellent online tutorial: http://www.makeyourownyogurt.com/

I just want to add..

when you're pitching your yogurt, don't pitch it with thick lumpy yogurt.. add a bit of the milk to the yogurt first so you can pour it and it doesn't have clumps

Also when you're keeping the yogurt warm, I put my yogurt in a one gallon pickle jar and set it in a water bath in a crockpot. I turn the crock pot on for a few minutes every hour to keep the water warm but I don't just leave it on because then the water gets too hot for the delicate cultures. Alternatively some people will put it in a warm water bath in a cooler and shut the cooler.. and the cooler acts as a warmer... Some people put their yogurt in the oven with the pilot light on. Some just tuck it in a warm place near the radiator... lots of ways to keep it warm, just remember you want dark, warm, and undisturbed as much as possible... You can also buy a yogurt maker from Amazon.com
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Today's test

Siggi's orange and ginger. I had great expectations. Ginger! Plus all the positive comments on this one. Well, it's a disappointment. It's smooth, except for the grainy candified ginger. It is slightly tart, and that's very good but it's bland. No fillers, which is great. So, bland and not the home run I expected. 100 cals / 150 g - 14g protein 0g fat.

hCFJljWl.jpg

Sticking to more Skyr (Icelandic yogurt) I also tried Smari "brave yogurt" - blueberry. - Not as tart, promised as thicker, it isn't. Nicely mixed fruit, not on the bottom. Also a bit disappointing. And this one adds starch. Organic tapioca starch. Not in the top 5. 130 cals / 170 g with 17 g protein.

bPo4VFvl.jpg

3rd up - Liberté yogurt - blackberry. Fruit on the bottom. Now I'm usually not a fan of FotB but this is very good. It advertises as rich and creamy. It delivers. It's like eating cream. Lots of nice fat compared to the other two. No filler. Delicious but, as with most FotB too sweet aftertaste. Best of the day so far. 250 cal!/170 g only 8g protein. Tasty but that calorie to protein ratio? Today's winner.

AcMv8G0l.jpg

Will eventually try to make my own, thanks all for that.
  • ltwarthen
    ltwarthen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm all about Plain Fage 0%. I could eat it ALL day long (and I do!)

I would probably not recommend all the calories that would add up eating it ALL day long.....but whatever

Unless I'm going for (authentic) European full-fat, Fage 0%.....tried the TJ's 0% Greek and it just didn't do it for me....and Costco carries the super large Fage so it's a great price.

But so does the protein! :) I'll have to check out Costco... gotta love a bargain!
  • brainzap
    brainzap Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% is the best for plain yoghurt
    Lately I have been loving Siggi's in the vanilla, strawberry, and blueberry flavors. Many flavored yoghurts are too sweet/have too much junk and these are perfect. My dad hates them and thinks they're too tart.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump for new ideas!
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    This is a link to the recipe I make...

http://www.overatjulies.com/2012/03/easy-crock-pot-greek-yogurt.html

I use different fruit, sometimes honey and I love to throw Epicure's Maple Spice in it too. But when I have the odd moment and buy some, I buy Liberte or Danone
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I am all about the Siggi's Icelandic-Style Skyr strained nonfat yogurt. 100 calories per serving with 14g protein and the ingredients are milk, agave nectar, fruit and live active cultures. Nothing artificial, no additives or preservatives, no gelatin (I am looking at you, Yoplait) – nothing but delicious, slightly tart custardy goodness.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a yogurt snob at all...I do like Fage, but haven't cared for any of the Chobani I have tried.

I usually eat Aldi's store brand Greek yogurt. My favorites are the pineapple and peach. So delicious. It's kind of funny though because when I first started eating them that was like my "healthy food" for the day and now I eat so much healthier that I look at those more like my "morning treat" on days I have it for breakfast!
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm not a snob about it, but I have made my own yogurt for years. I use skim milk and my favorite yogurt to use as a base culture is made by Seven Star Farms. I have a very basic Salton yogurt maker and it's very easy. There is lots of info online on how to do it, but I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. All you really need is a basic food thermometer, and I reuse part of every batch for the next one, so it is yogurt for the price of milk . I have it for breakfast just about every morning with some walnuts, flax seed meal, cinnamon, and fruit. It tastes great and keeps me going until lunch.
  • Osu2k1
    Osu2k1 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am not a yogurt snob, but a very picky eater. So I am not a fan of tart/tangy/funky flavors/aftertastes.
    My favorite flavors are berries-strawberry, raspberry, mixed berry, NOT blueberry or plain/vanilla. I normally add 1/2 C of Kashi Go Lean Crunch to bulk up the fiber and protein. And that's my breakfast along with my latte, just around 400 calories.

960063402_200x200.jpg
    My favorite Fage, much better than Chobani! 120 cal, 13 g protein, 16 g sugar 5.3 oz

960063763_200x200.jpg
    My favorite cheap one, from Safeway/Von's- hands down right now, it's cheaper than the others, about $.89 ea. 140 cal, 11 g protein, 21 g sugar 6 oz

960075819_200x200.jpg
    Favorite 100 calorie cup of yogurt. 100 cal, 10 g protein, 9 g sugar 5.3 oz
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Liberte, all the way. Their organic butter is good as well.