Gym teacher makes 9th Graders do Insanity Workout

Options

Replies

• BioMechHeretic
    BioMechHeretic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Considering that only 100 years ago or so and all of human civilization before that kids were fighting in wars and running around the battlefield by the time they hit double digits at 10 I think the coddled kids of today can handle some fast standing up and squatting down for 40 minutes a day.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Yeah.....sounds like the gym teacher is being lazy by popping in a DVD rather than instructing the kids on something him/herself.

I agree. Football, for example, was created by someone else and so he can't introduce that sport. Basketball, by James Naismith, so he can't introduce that sport either.

Baseball? Softball? Hockey? Volleyball? Wait, what about Karate? Ooops....NOPE! He can't introduce those games either.

What do you suggest the teacher "CREATE" that he should do in PE? If you mention anything, then he didn't create it.

This is the dumbest thread on the board right now....WOWWW!

Thanks for putting words in my mouth dude. I never ONCE said that the gym teacher needs to "create" a sport or game to show the kids. Insanity is not a game....the kids are never going to become professional "Insanity Players." If you could sit on your *kitten* and put in a DVD everyday for class and still call yourself a "teacher"...I'm sure that's a lot easier than actually teaching something. I'm not hating on Insanity...I've done it several times. If you have too, then you know that it is pretty intense, and that there are certain moves that can be pretty stressful on the body, and if not done properly, could cause serious injury. AND that is says you should consult your physician before participating in any of the workouts. And as the OP said....the parents of these kids were not asked permission, therefore, it's safe to assume that their physicians weren't consulted first. So either way you look at it, the gym teacher ****** up.

Do I think there's anything wrong with a high schooler attempting Insanity? Not necessarily, under the right circumstances, it could be beneficial. I think it's a case-by-case basis and not something that should be thrown at a random group of kids.
    So then, when ever they do something physical they need to get a complete physical? So that first week when they lift weights they need to consult a doctor? When they do the kick ball game they need to talk to a doctor? Then when they do something that is self paced they need to talk to a doctor? I doubt that, seriously. The teacher did nothing wrong. The PARENTS GIVE PERMISSION WHEN THEY SEE THE SCHEDULE AND WHEN THEY SIGN THE PERMISSION SLIP GRANTING THEM PERMISSION TO BE IN THE PE CLASS. Because the teacher decides to show a broad spectrum of fitness options available you fire at them? Really?

**Edited because of the quoted foul language.

Once again, putting words in my mouth.
    No, they do not need to get a physical before every single thing they do in gym class.

I'm sure that when they're weight lifting, or playing an actual sport, they are being INSTRUCTED, by their gym teacher, about proper form and safety.

Have you ever done an Insanity workout? They're SUPER fast paced, when I've done them in the past, I barely have any time to look at the screen in between moves.

Maybe a better approach would be for the gym teacher to take certain exercises from Insanity, and teach them to the kids, taking the time to show proper form and safety. Rather than popping in a DVD which is pretty much nonstop movement, with not a lot of emphasis on safe form. Hopefully this is the route the teacher went, but if he/she simply turned on the TV and played the DVD....that is both lazy and dangerous.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    proffesional Golder in the masters = 14
    proffesional Footballers, (uk) =16
    olympic gymnasts =12

kids can cope in the adult world of proffesional sport.... your body has a natural mechanism for coping when your exerting to much .. i think they will be ok

bearing in mind im 23 and played sport at a national level at 16... didnt kill me..

Those kids had been working out most their lives and worked up to that level. Most 9th graders are probably not ready to jump feet first into something that intense.

I seriously doubt that. If the children have been allowed to run and play then they should be well beyond able to start something such as Insanity.

Did you just compare the physical ability of Olympic athletes to average kids who run and play?
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think that asking teenagers to do Insanity is a bit much. Yes, kids need physical activity/physical education, but just as most adults couldn't jump in and complete an Insanity workout without having some physical conditioning first, most teenagers probably couldn't either. It's just my opinion, but I honestly believe putting in a video and saying "this is what we're doing today" is a cop out on the teacher's part. If you want teenagers to become interested in physical fitness, I definitely think team sports or even making it a "game" is much more likely to peak their interest.
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    It is insane to push "Insanity" on a school gym class.
    I also think it is insane to give kids a letter grade for gym class rather than pass/fail. Gym teachers have an innate dislike for the smart kids and bias toward the jocks they coach. My daughter was fortunate enough to have a gym teacher who was an exception to this rule. My son was not.
    When my daughter was in required gym class she was recovering from a second knee surgery. Her gym teacher accommodated her condition without humiliating her. There is no way she could have done something like insanity.

Personally, I hated gym because the teacher was a big a bully as the jocks and took glee in humiliating us non-jocks.

BTW, I was surprised to find out the NC State actually requires students to waste one class each semester in phys. ed. for all 4 years. That is insane. These are young adults now. They are responsible to taking care of their own fitness. It is not the school's job to force them to.

"Smart kids" can also be athletic, and "jocks" aren't all a bunch of idiots.

I was an honor's/AP student and did well in all my classes, including PE. I wasn't the only kid who did well in difficult courses AND PE, either. Of course, I didn't have parents who would write me notes excusing me from stuff I didn't want to do.

My fiance was in the enhanced learning program, graduated with honours and was an active and talented basketball player for his school. He went on to get a degree in Engineering and become an Aerospace Engineer and cycles competitively. I agree with you entirely, Smart kids can be athletic and jocks aren't all idiots.
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    If my child was being made to do Insanity or similar in PE, I'd hit the f*cking roof.
    These are programs designed for adults, and the documentation states you should get clearance from a doctor before up-taking any physical exercise regime. I know no-one really does unless they do already have existing medical issues, but a PE teacher is not a trained physician. Yeah they have the lower impact option but that doesn't decrease the intensity.
    If my son had an asthma attack because of the rigorous exercise but because of the pressure he would be under to take part, you can bet I'd be up the school with bells on and wringing that PE teachers neck.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I get where the OP is coming from. Insanity is a workout designed specifically for adults, not children. Whether or not children are capable of doing the workout isn't the issue. I do think parents have the right to at least be informed that their child is going to be asked to complete an intense, adult workout at school. The parent may be aware of certain health-related issues the child has that the school isn't aware of, or the parent may simply object to the child being required to complete a high-intensity workout that was not designed with children in mind. I don't think this is any different than a school teaching kids about the birds and bees in graphic detail without informing the parents in advance. A child's education is ultimately still the parents' responsibility. I do not believe in this new idea that once a parent drops a kid off at school, the parent no longer has the right to be involved in what the kid is learning or doing at school.

With that said, if I had a child, I would not personally have a problem with the PE teacher doing Insanity. I agree with what some of the others have said about teenagers actively looking for things to complain about and not wanting to push themselves out of their comfort zones. Not only could something like Insanity help get or keep them in shape, it could also help them develop better self-esteem. I just think parents have the right to know ahead of time and the right to have their concerns addressed.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Yeah.....sounds like the gym teacher is being lazy by popping in a DVD rather than instructing the kids on something him/herself.

I agree. Football, for example, was created by someone else and so he can't introduce that sport. Basketball, by James Naismith, so he can't introduce that sport either.

Baseball? Softball? Hockey? Volleyball? Wait, what about Karate? Ooops....NOPE! He can't introduce those games either.

What do you suggest the teacher "CREATE" that he should do in PE? If you mention anything, then he didn't create it.

This is the dumbest thread on the board right now....WOWWW!

Thanks for putting words in my mouth dude. I never ONCE said that the gym teacher needs to "create" a sport or game to show the kids. Insanity is not a game....the kids are never going to become professional "Insanity Players." If you could sit on your *kitten* and put in a DVD everyday for class and still call yourself a "teacher"...I'm sure that's a lot easier than actually teaching something. I'm not hating on Insanity...I've done it several times. If you have too, then you know that it is pretty intense, and that there are certain moves that can be pretty stressful on the body, and if not done properly, could cause serious injury. AND that is says you should consult your physician before participating in any of the workouts. And as the OP said....the parents of these kids were not asked permission, therefore, it's safe to assume that their physicians weren't consulted first. So either way you look at it, the gym teacher ****** up.

Do I think there's anything wrong with a high schooler attempting Insanity? Not necessarily, under the right circumstances, it could be beneficial. I think it's a case-by-case basis and not something that should be thrown at a random group of kids.
    So then, when ever they do something physical they need to get a complete physical? So that first week when they lift weights they need to consult a doctor? When they do the kick ball game they need to talk to a doctor? Then when they do something that is self paced they need to talk to a doctor? I doubt that, seriously. The teacher did nothing wrong. The PARENTS GIVE PERMISSION WHEN THEY SEE THE SCHEDULE AND WHEN THEY SIGN THE PERMISSION SLIP GRANTING THEM PERMISSION TO BE IN THE PE CLASS. Because the teacher decides to show a broad spectrum of fitness options available you fire at them? Really?

**Edited because of the quoted foul language.

Once again, putting words in my mouth.
    No, they do not need to get a physical before every single thing they do in gym class.

I'm sure that when they're weight lifting, or playing an actual sport, they are being INSTRUCTED, by their gym teacher, about proper form and safety.

Have you ever done an Insanity workout? They're SUPER fast paced, when I've done them in the past, I barely have any time to look at the screen in between moves.

Maybe a better approach would be for the gym teacher to take certain exercises from Insanity, and teach them to the kids, taking the time to show proper form and safety. Rather than popping in a DVD which is pretty much nonstop movement, with not a lot of emphasis on safe form. Hopefully this is the route the teacher went, but if he/she simply turned on the TV and played the DVD....that is both lazy and dangerous.

I took that because of this:
    And as the OP said....the parents of these kids were not asked permission, therefore, it's safe to assume that their physicians weren't consulted first.

And yes I have done Insanity, and IT IS SELF PACED. If you pushed yourself to the wall then that is you. But, it is a SELF PACED DVD set. Also, what makes you ASSUME that the teacher is not watching over the kids as they are doing the workout? As another poster has posted, everything in Insanity you have done in one form or another by grade 9. In 3rd grade I was learning push ups, pull ups, sit ups, etc... In 8th grade the boys who wanted to try out for football that summer were learning about burpees and plyo moves.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    If my child was being made to do Insanity or similar in PE, I'd hit the f*cking roof.
    These are programs designed for adults, and the documentation states you should get clearance from a doctor before up-taking any physical exercise regime. I know no-one really does unless they do already have existing medical issues, but a PE teacher is not a trained physician. Yeah they have the lower impact option but that doesn't decrease the intensity.
    If my son had an asthma attack because of the rigorous exercise but because of the pressure he would be under to take part, you can bet I'd be up the school with bells on and wringing that PE teachers neck.

For one, you are supposed to get clearance from a doctor for ANYTHING physical. Lifting weights, changing your diet, running, hopping, skipping rope. You are supposed to. If your child is signed up for PE, and you would know about it because what kid if parents isn't involved in the classes they take, and you fail to have your child checked by a doctor for a physical that year that is on YOU, not the school. You should have done that during the summer leading into that year, and then again if they happened to get injured doing something (for example, in a sport). If you failed to do that, then that is on you not the school.

Also, it is DIRECTED at adults. Everything in Insanity you have done a modified version of at one point in school. The push ups, sit ups, pull ups, etc.. you did when you did the presidental fitness test. Jumping you did when jumping or skipping rope. Kicks you did playing kick ball.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    This thread is ...just... WOW...... I mean REALLY.... Are you people for real. Do those of you posting that this is SOOOO wrong, and that this age of children just can't possibly do this, and that it is BAD for them, know anything about the human body? Or muscle physiology?? I raced MX from the age of 10, BMX from the age of 12, Skated from I do not remember how young. do you have any idea how physically demanding these sports are?? I was skating or riding MILES a day by the time I was 10 yrs old. As were all the kids I hang out with. By the time I was 14 I was working out with a few of my friends 3 days a week. @ 15 yrs old it was up to 5 days a week. And all it ever did was help me in life. I never got/get sick, didn't get all the nasty little "injuries" everyone around me was getting. I was strong. By the time me and my group of friends graduated HS we were all in excellent physical condition. Better than most of the "jocks" actually. Our gym teachers and PT's were great at teaching us the CORRECT FORM and way to exercise. I credit them for my base of knowledge and many issue free years of strength training.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with these kids doing "Insanity", as all it is, is all the old school calisthenics with some newer stuff thrown in. It is really not that hard of a workout. This is the stuff we did at my HS for gym classes. No big deal.

Quit your whining, and make your kids do something. Start to finish, no excuses .... No one stepped on your "parental rights" , as you should expect physical exercise would be happening when you saw "gym" class on your child's schedule. If you don't, then you are an ignorant.

OP - you and all the other indignant, whiney azz, offended people are a major problem with schools and this country in general ..... Suck it up, Man up, and quit whining ...
  • cjlorigan
    cjlorigan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't remember who all posted that by signing a school schedule the parents are essentially agreeing to have their child follow all teacher created curriculum but that is not true.

PE is REQUIRED in most states to graduate. Without a medical or religious exemption, they will have that class no matter what. Just like they will have Math. You may be able to change the level of the class ie Algebra II versus Math 9, but not the core class itself. Another example is foreign language, Spanish or French. The choice is there for my kids but they must take one or the other to graudate in our district.

Again, you can change the level or opt out of certain lessons, but just agreeing to the schedule does not mean that you have to have your child participate in all aspects of the class but the class will show up on their schedule without an exemption whether you sign it or not.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I think this is probably more of an exposure to different types of workouts and less an exercise program. I am really hard on teens because they are are hardy bunch. You should definitely complain if they are doing something dangerous not if it a lesson in exposure or as part of series. Most kids are NOT going to push themselves like adult will. They will compete with each other but not really push themselves unless they really have to.

To be honest most 14 year old youths are going to protest most forms of exercise. Most don't even like to change for gym.

To them, sports and normal games may seem childish. Also, student themselves are curious about are different types of alternative workout out there and its the PE teacher job to expose them to wellness they can take with them outside of school.

What if the teacher taught them zumba next week or did swimming after that and your youth hated dancing and did not want to mess up their blowout and so told you how "hard" this class was? I think flag football is quite violent but I am not going to pull my kids out of PE class. It's good to expose them. Fitness and being physically active is something that is NOT normal for today's kids. It's not like it was when I was younger.

I think being exposed to different types of exercise is not bad thing and will not hurt your youth. I am pretty sure that that PE teacher was likely just exposing youth. Usually doing something 3-5 times is really the only way to find out if it works for you.

Jumping to complain right away might only teach your youth that if they wine enough...mommy and daddy will get them out of them pushing themselves. I would make the suggestion to speak to the PE teacher about the rational of doing this type of work out and I also follow up with your youth about why they did not participate or their feelings on it.

If you truly feel you understand the situation and rational and still feel the teacher is truly doing something uncalled for then DEFINITELY take it to principal.

I hope this makes sense....:flowerforyou:

Some kids will. I would have at that age. It's innappropriate. Kids this age, should be learning the lessons and components of teamwork, and problem solving, and etc. that the former and more classic PE methods instilled. This in my opinion is not only lazy teaching, innappropriate and too much as OP suggested, but also marketing should not be involved in schools. How many of those kids if they liked the workout would go home and request that tape. Before anyone jumps in this is NOT the same as requesting a baseball glove or basketball as those are all different brands and no one thing is being promoted.

Further what kind of mentality or gumption does it teach kids to have a program that they couldn't do full out. No feeling of accomplishment, or that according to this above logic they would not try that hard anyways? What? We used to ask our kids to try their best at everything, and anything they do in school should be designed and presented so that if they did just that they would achieve something, finish something, accomplish something and get to feel what that feels like. That's teaching. Not mindlessly giving them something easy to shell out without regard for what they get out of it physically or mentally.
  • Ras_py
    Ras_py Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I wonder if those whom said the PE teacher was lazy would feel this way if he/she were preforming the dvd with the children?

I must say i kinda LOL at those who think the children are frail and too small to exercise. I started lifting weights with my dad at 10… These kids can have babies, join the military and play sports with the ability to get them in on college scholarships or professional sports.
  • cjlorigan
    cjlorigan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't remember who all posted that by signing a school schedule the parents are essentially agreeing to have their child follow all teacher created curriculum but that is not true.

PE is REQUIRED in most states to graduate. Without a medical or religious exemption, they will have that class no matter what. Just like they will have Math. You may be able to change the level of the class ie Algebra II versus Math 9, but not the core class itself. Another example is foreign language, Spanish or French. The choice is there for my kids but they must take one or the other to graudate in our district.

Again, you can change the level or opt out of certain lessons, but just agreeing to the schedule does not mean that you have to have your child participate in all aspects of the class but the class will show up on their schedule without an exemption whether you sign it or not.

With that said my kids would LOVE to do Insanity. They already ride bikes and rock climb in gym class.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

I hear what you're saying. Basically, PE is supposed to teach sportsmanship and team work. You can't teach that in a DVD.

Unless... You'd have to watch every single Mighty Ducks movie at least 5x to learn those kind of life lessons. And then watch Little Giants at least 4 times.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    If it's true, expect Beach Body to ask them to desist, since it's a copy righted program being taught in a public setting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I think the perception that teenagers can't handle the intensity of a workout DVD is a fundamental flaw in our culture today. We shouldn't be making things easier physically for young people, quite the opposite in fact. When I have kids, they'll be exercising with intensity from a young age barring medical conditions preventing it.

And if my kids do have medical conditions that would put them at risk during those kinds of calisthenics, you can be damn sure I won't wait for a permission slip about what's going on at PE to let the schools know about it.
  • persistantone
    persistantone Posts: 59 Member
    Options

With that said my kids would LOVE to do Insanity. They already ride bikes and rock climb in gym class.

Now, that's awesome. Rock climbing and bike riding in gym class. It's all about options.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    My son's PE teacher makes them do Cup Stacking. I would much rather him do Insanity than CUP STACKING!

Cup stacking? Why not basket weaving?

Cup stacking develops hand/eye coordination. As long as it's maybe 10% of their PE program, I actually like the idea. Ok, maybe 5%...
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My daughter is in grade 9 and they do P90X workouts. They also spin, zumba, weight lift and do yoga along with the regular gym sports.

I think it is fabulous that they get so much exposure to different types of workouts.

Physical activity is not a bad thing especially in today's age of fast food and childhood obesity!

Karen