Any 10,000 Steps (Daily) Success stories?

Options

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I average 17,500 steps during the week. I walk about 20,000 steps on Saturday and Sunday.

My ticker is the result of walking and calorie counting.

:glasses: :love: :drinker: :love: :glasses:
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Just my job alone nets me 13,000 steps
    in the evening I aim for another 4-5 k between running and house work
    NOW if I could control what I am eating I would lose more weight lol
  • PiecesOfTheHeart
    PiecesOfTheHeart Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me how to figure out calories burned for the amount of steps you take? Is there even a way to do that?? Love this post! I have a job that requires me to walk quite a bit so hitting 10,000 a day is pretty easy for me. It would be nice to see how many calories I have burned. My pedometer shows me how far I have walked and how many steps but not calories. Anyone??
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Lamlam got me started on step counting here over 1 year ago. I dusted off that step counter that I had and started counting. The first month or two were quite dismal - 1,800 to 5,000 on many days. But I kept with it and now most days are over 10,000!

Lots of little things help me make my daily goal: parking farther away, using a bathroom that is further away, marching while waiting for something in the microwave. My dog has also appreciated the added walks and hikes. I think step counting is one the things thats keep me active and keeps me from gaining back some of the weight I have lost. I know I am lost if I do not have my step counter on.

If anyone wants to track their steps with others, you can join us here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943565-april-step-challenge
  • Mendham07945
    Mendham07945 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am totally devoted to Fitbit and logging 10,000 steps per day. As much as I dislike walking on the treadmill, I did it when the weather prevented outdoor walking.
    The results after 1 year : 82 pounds gone.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit has made me so aware of getting those 10,000 steps in every day. I'm lucky to be able to walk to and from work (desk job), so if I do that, and get out a bit at lunch time, I have no problem hitting that. Yesterday (Saturday) I hit 18,000 steps, just from walking my daughter to and from dance class and doing errands by foot rather than car. I definitely use my car a whole lot less now. At work, we try to do 8 flights of stairs 3x a day as well. That's really helpful too. On the odd days that I have to take my car to work, I'll go home and run/walk on my treadmill for 30 minutes before doing my workout, just to get those steps up.

I agree with the others. Park farther away, go to the farthest bathroom, choose to walk to the store instead of drive... it all adds up.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I think I am a 10,000 step a day success story. My job offered us pedometers as part of a wellness program, and I decided to participate. When I first started my goal was 3500 steps a day (I was REALLY overweight), but now my goal is set at 10,000 and has been for quite a while. Most days I get at least 12,000 and a lot of days I make it higher. I walk every change I get now. If I get to work early, I walk around the building until work time. I walk during lunch when weather permits. I walk at night. I park as far from wherever I am going as Ican (I live way out in the country, so ditching the car and walking to work and stuff is not doable. I have lost all the weight I have lost with walking as my primary exercise. In the last couple of months I purchased a bike and have started riding sometimes.

You so ROCK and I'm so proud of you!!!! Thank you so much for posting!!!! :love: :smooched: :drinker: :smooched: :love:
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    I had made 10,000 steps a day my goal since joining MFP nearly a year and a half ago. Like others posting on this thread, I have a desk job, so for me to get to 10K would require an actual effort to go out and exercise. At first I was hitting the goal about half the time - there were too many days that I would blow off the daily walks.

In February of last year I read an article online that changed my entire attitude. Basically, it describes a technique that helps you focus on your daily commitment to your goals, and does so in a visible, tactile way. I've posted about this before, but it's really a great article.

http://lifehacker.com/5886128/how-seinfelds-productivity-secret-fixed-my-procrastination-problem

I kept my first streak going for nine days, and then ended up getting sidelined with the flu. But I picked it up again and kept the chain alive for nearly seven weeks. That streak was broken last Easter because I was traveling to visit my daughter and her family. I haven't missed a day since - and passed the one-year mark this past Monday.

If 10,000 steps is too many to work into your schedule at first, start by setting a more modest goal. Once that becomes comfortable for you, bump your goal up a notch and let yourself settle in to the new routine. Before long you'll be hitting 10K steps every day, and the idea of skipping a day won't even cross your mind. Good luck!
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I got a Fitbit in February, and set my goal to 5,000. I've been averaging out 7,000 a day. I just set my goal to 7,000 today!

I work as a cashier at a grocery store, so my walking is rather limited. Since I'm not too active at work, I try to do things for more steps around the house. I'll take multiple trips to bring in groceries instead of piling everything on my arms to do one trip. I'll do one thing at a time, instead of trying to "cut corners" for cleaning. Since the weather is getting a lot nicer, my partner and I are going for walks. Each time we go on a walk, it adds up to easily 1,500 - 2,000 steps. We just walk around our neighborhood, nothing too crazy. We also started walking to the store to check red box instead of driving by one on our way home, we walk to the store to grab little things we need.

I make extra little trips just to get more steps in now! I'm not a very active person, but this silly little thing has made me want to be more active and I love seeing my steps add up everyday!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Say WHAT??!!!????? Guess what I just discovered??????

Guess approximately how many cals 10,000 steps per week burns?

:love: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :love:

"Ten thousand steps a day" has become a heavily promoted fitness mantra -- with good reason. The American Council on Exercise estimates that the average person can burn up to 3,500 calories per week by walking 10,000 steps every day. THAT'S WHAT IT TAKES TO BURN 1 POUND...I LOVE THAT!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/294824-how-many-calories-does-10-000-steps-burn/

:heart: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :heart:

Attempting to walk 10,000 steps per day has really motivated me to get it done, now that I know this--it's super ON! Yay!!!
  • FitSuga
    FitSuga Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I always make sure I get at least 10k steps in per day!
  • lilmisscatxoxo
    Options
    Hi All,

I started a Fit Bit Challenge if anyone. Would like to join?

"FitBit Users Unite"

Check it Out :/)
  • lilmisscatxoxo
    Options
    Say WHAT??!!!????? Guess what I just discovered??????

Guess approximately how many cals 10,000 steps per week burns?

:love: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :love:

"Ten thousand steps a day" has become a heavily promoted fitness mantra -- with good reason. The American Council on Exercise estimates that the average person can burn up to 3,500 calories per week by walking 10,000 steps every day. THAT'S WHAT IT TAKES TO BURN 1 POUND...I LOVE THAT!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/294824-how-many-calories-does-10-000-steps-burn/

:heart: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :heart:

Attempting to walk 10,000 steps per day has really motivated me to get it done, now that I know this--it's super ON! Yay!!!

Wow that's Great to Know!

Thanks for sharing
  • drannisaac
    Options
    bump
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I'm a total "stepping" success story. I participated in a pedometer based study at UCSF Medical School that began in September. I was in a group that used a pedometer ( a very large cluncky medical grade pedometer) and a phone app that you had to interract with twice per day--once in the morning, and once at night. The purpose of the study was to lower your fasting glucose and A1C by walking 12,000 steps per day, and in my case eating 1500-2000 calories per day. The first two weeks of the study, you wore the pedometer (blind--coudlnt' see the output) so that the study could get a baseline of your steps on a daily basis. I averaed 1600 steps per day ( I have a desk job, and was not active).

I began the study on Octboer 1, with the goal to increase my steps 20% per week until I reached the 12,000 daily goal. (It took me until around Christmas to get to that level).

I started tracking calories on MFP (the calorie component was introduced after pedometer component by two weeks) on October 15. I've lost almost 65 pounds. And I will say that while I do aim for 12,000 steps per day, I do 12,000 without question on Friday-Monday. Tuesday-Thursday are tougher for me and I usually hit 6,000-8,000.

Not only have I lost the 65 pounds (and am nearly halfway to my goal weight. But, I feel good. I go to Curves 3 X per week. And I started Couch 2 5K this week, and just completed Week 1 Day 3. (I'm doing a 5K in June....the real reason for me to be doing the C25K program is to help increase my walking pace).

It has been great.

The study concluded March 25. I was the study's poster child for the most weight loss. My cholesterol went down 24 points from 224 to 200--all in the "bad" cholesterol. My good cholesterol went up. I've lost lots of inches. My A1C went from 5.9 to 5.4.

Happy walkin' to all. I'm a believer.

How inspirational and encouraging...YOU ROCK!!!!!
  • muktyfitness
    muktyfitness Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    My company started a walking program with a cheap pedometer in November. Each month our goals changed. (First month was just 5000 3 times a week.) This month it is 25,000 steps a week.

In January, I started walking a bunch. I walked over 80 miles in January. I got my FitBit at the end of February, and I don't think I've had less than 5000 steps any day. I beat 10,000 most days. I've hit 15,000 half a dozen times, and 20,000 2 times.

I do have trouble getting flights of stairs in because I am rarely in a two story building, Although my new gym's cardio is upstairs. One of these days I'm going to get brave and try the stair machine. My record is 12 flights.

Having the pedometer has definitely helped me keep on track. Some nights I'll walk around my house or stand behind the couch and march or run in place to increase my steps. (Better than sitting on the couch!!)
  • bootpeg
    bootpeg Posts: 5
    Options
    I received a fitbit zip on March 30th and have already logged 140 miles on it. I average 18k steps a day. Before receiving the pedometer, I used to average maybe 7k steps a day. The badges encourage me to move just a little bit more every day. Sometimes I'll even pace my apartment to hit a certain step number! I've noticed a significant change in my endurance levels since starting this journey. Now I'm doing Jullian Michaels dvds and increasing my pace. Today, I ran up 4 flights of stairs without breaking a sweat! I think the fitbit definitely kickstarted my desire to workout.

Another plus - I've lost 4 lbs since starting the journey!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Parking in the furthest distance from the grocery store, unloading the groceryies and pushing the cart back to the store's entrance and walking back is 217 big ole steps and I LOVE that! It's so worth it to park far away when shopping!

This 10,000 steps is THE BUSINESS and making me LOVE to move this fabulous body of mine--WOOT!
  • CBDoll
    CBDoll Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I use the FITBIT One and love it! My daily goal is 13,000 steps which is pretty easy to hit since I gave up my car about a year ago. I love beating my daily goal and competing with friends on the Fitbit website.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!