Beginner Runner - Tips?!

Options
2»

Replies

• tomato915
    tomato915 Posts: 40
    Options
    Invest on good and comfy shoes, I think it's worth it. :) Yeah, stretch your legs before running, it will help. Start on jogging slow, don't sprint, build your endurance first. When you think you're already trying to catch your breath, walk fast and eventually your breathing will be fine then go back to jogging on your own pace. Just do it for 30 mins at the start and go up little by little and maybe move your speed up. Don't let your body cool down completely coz you can feel tired (based on my experience). I don't use any apps or whatsoever, I just time myself. I am no professional, this is just from experience and I love running! :)

And don't forget to hydrate before running! Just take sips of water during the run. Don't take lots of gulps, you'll find yourself catching your breath faster.

Edit: And I forgot, walk a couple of mins first before running.
  • DOElston
    DOElston Posts: 102
    Options
    The best advice I got was - start so slowly that people laugh at you! Lol! My first goal was to get up to 3 mph for 20 minutes. Now, I run Half Marathons. Slow and steady. Take things slow and steady.
  • TJMiddaugh
    TJMiddaugh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i was not a runner either, and was like 70+ lbs overweight when i started. the thing is, theres going to be a transitional period where your body is trying to adapt to this new routine. so theres going to be a lot of bumps and bruises (so to speak) along the way at first. i had "shin splints" pretty bad at first because that perticular muscle was not used as much as it is when running. i was running with a marine (trust me i looked miserable and rediculous at first also) and he told me a trick that i was somewhat skeptical of at first, but he said wrap your shins with ace bandages (it will hold the muscle in place along the front of the leg, so it does not flair out away from the leg and cause so much pain) they do this in bootcamp he said. i did a lot of standing at my job at the time also, which was painful too. (if this is shin pain your talking about, when you say leg pain) i came across my ace bandages and wrapped them up and it was a ton of relief. i even kept them on under my pants at work later those days to help also. i used them for almost 2-3 months befor i graduated from them. also i have the luxury of a low impact (bark and compost type of outdoor) trail in town. running on pavement and hard surfaces like that will cause alot of extra stress on the joints, especially if your overweight. highly advised to look for a place with low impact. maybe even the high school track. i had that same "draw" to running when i was overweight. it has changed my life for the better. make sure you bring the right frame of mind with you when you go. hate it while your doing it, but dont talk yourself out of it. its more mental than anything. you have to think positive and confident thoughts an you will succeed. if your destroying yourself in your head each time you will not last long and give up.

my advise would be to find someone who is an established runner (if possible, people always love running partners, dont be shy to ask someone you might know who is!!) and team up with them if you can. i run with people all the time when they need help. just to get them over those initial barriers. anytime you do something with someone that is better than you, it will (typically) naturally increase your own ability more. if you start running with someone who is the same or not as good condition it could (possibly) hinder your own results. unless your already of strong mind. example..if your thinking about how hard it is (while running), and the person your running with is verbally just as miserable. chances are your both not going to get as far as you could and possibly even give up. seriously! but when you run with someone who is encouraging and positive you can advance faster by just having the right mind set. just listen to your body also, dont push to hard till you build up the strength to do it.

running is like therapy for me now, its such a great stress reliever. plus it makes you feel amazing when your done. just know if it were easy everyone would be doing it. good luck and stay confident!!!
  • Shawnzgirl78
    Shawnzgirl78 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is the shins that hurt. These tips are SO helpful! I appreciate ALL the advice! I really am excited to start - I don't feel so alone or confused anymore *lol* I think I just tried to do too much too fast. My form is terrible - I overheard someone say that you stand up straight and lean forward a bit? I have never heard the term "heal striking" so I will def look in to that too, along with all of these things mentioned. I appreciate you all taking the time to voice your experience! I do have a runner friend so I am going to ask her for some advice, too. Thanks a TON!
  • jackieleannebowman
    jackieleannebowman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Like you I always wanted to "be a runner", I like it because it doesn't cost anything (but shoes) and it is convenient for me, as it was hard for me to leave and spend an hour at the gym when I can go for a run anytime I can get the chance and be home faster.

When I started, I couldn't run for more than 30 secs, so I set a distance of 2 km, and did that until I worked up to running 1 km, and r/w the second km - quite quickly I got up to 2 km, and did that for a month, but it was hard and I saw no results (on the scale, or in getting better at running).

It wasn't until I started the 30 day shred videos, and a lower body bootcamp at our local community centre that I really saw results in my running. After a 4 month hiatus from running (and exersize in general), I could easily do the full 2 km and r/w another 2 km. Since January, I have been doing the bootcamp 1 time a week and running 3 times a week (3-6 km per run), and I throw in a 30 D/S video every once in a while when it is too crappy to run outside. And I just ran 9 km this morning (at only 5 mphr mind you). I found it most helpful to strengthen my lower body (legs and abs) to get better results with my running so you might too...

All this to say - don't give up, you CAN be a runner! Some days it will suck and other days you will have the greatest sense of accomplishment!

Good luck!!
  • mstrickland9
    Options
    As others have mentioned, I started with the couch to 5K a few years ago. I couldn't run to the end of my street. Now I am running, as nice slow pace, for 40 minutes at a time! It's the easiest program, it really eases you into running in a way that's not painful. Difficult at times, yes, but well worth the effort!
  • abideedum
    abideedum Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I started the NHS couch to 5k podcasts a few weeks ago and have found it really helpful..I used to get really out of breath and like you, had the pains in my leg..I'm at week 5 now and really starting to enjoy running :smile:

Are they good? i'm quite unsure about c25k. Do the podcasts tell you your half way so you know when to turn around lol
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different -- but for me, I didn't enjoy the structured programs. So what I did (and still do) is I do a 5 minutes walk and then I jog or run as far as I feel like it and then I take a walking break. I really listen to my body and do what feels good. Sometimes I sprint for several minutes, sometimes I just jog the whole time. It really depends on the day. But this approach -- just doing what feels good -- has let me really enjoy running for the first time in my life.
  • Iloveeyore78
    Iloveeyore78 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! Just started the C25k Saturday. Legs hurt today but feels great Will check out the zombie run! Sounds fun and might offer variety!!!!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Are they good? i'm quite unsure about c25k. Do the podcasts tell you your half way so you know when to turn around lol

I've been using the NHS podcasts and enjoyed them. They do break into the music and tell you "you ran 5 minutes" or "you're halfway there" and they tell you when you have a minute left in case you want to "sprint to the finish." It's nice to hear those things and helps me to keep going. The music is a bit on the lame side but it has a beat.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    i didn't know what i was doing when i started. i just starting walking the dog every day, then after a while walking wasn't fast enough for me anymore, then i was jogging, and some time after that the DOG wasn't fast enough for me anymore...

i'd been jogging for over a year when i found MFP and the C25K prog. turns out the natural, intuitive program i'd put myself on (just by doing what felt good and PUSHING myself, a least a little bit, every day or almost every day) is almost exactly in line with C25K anyhow.

i don't have fancy running shoes. i don't have fancy athletic clothes. i tape over my ankles and below my knees to keep the soreness down in my legs. i just try to keep track of how many minutes i can run without stopping, so i can be aware of my progress.

when i started i couldn't get to the end of the block. now i can jog for ~5 min without stopping. all on my own.
  • abideedum
    abideedum Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks, i download them and going to do my first one tonight :D
  • Shawnzgirl78
    Shawnzgirl78 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different -- but for me, I didn't enjoy the structured programs. So what I did (and still do) is I do a 5 minutes walk and then I jog or run as far as I feel like it and then I take a walking break. I really listen to my body and do what feels good. Sometimes I sprint for several minutes, sometimes I just jog the whole time. It really depends on the day. But this approach -- just doing what feels good -- has let me really enjoy running for the first time in my life.
    This kinda sounds more like my style. I liked the idea of one of the apps mentioned tho of running according to the speed of your music. Interval works really well for me.
  • rbrown2007
    Options
    Running is definitely one of those things where if you have a partner who can motivate you and push you then the better off and quicker you will progress. But, first off you definitely need to get some quality running shoes. Many people definitely take this for granted. I have ran several marathons, and too many 5 an 10k's to count. Time and time again I see people wearing improper shoes and complaining of shin splints or some other related pain or ache. You are definitely on the right track if you like to listen to up beat music too. Finding music that has some where around 140-150 beats per minute will help you maintain a good pace/cadence and is something you can do as a novice runner or a experienced runner. Also, if running is something you truly want to do you can focus on your running form. Many people run heel to toe or flat footed, if you can practice as you work up as a new runner to run mid-foot the better off you will be. I started out running heel to toe and took me years to learn how to run mid-foot. Sorry for rambling, but running is one of my passions and thought I would share! Good luck in whatever program/method you choose!
  • joeysrib
    joeysrib Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I've been wanting to take up running for awhile, but scared of the pain, and difficulty catching my breath. C25k starts Wednesday!

I don't know about anybody else, but after what happened in Boston today, I'm really fired up to take up running! Let's prove to the world that we are not afraid!
  • upsidedownjelly
    Options
    One thing that has really helped me keep on it is my dog! I know not everyone is a dog person or whatever... But its so much easier when he's with me, because I'm focused on him rather than how long I've been running.... Also I constantly remind myself that we'll get done with our nightly walk a lot faster if we run it. And since I'm fairly new at running, we have worked up to our current distance together... Although I'm sure he could run all day if I asked him to.

Also, enter a race in the future. Give yourself enough time to train for it (like C25K) but not too much time, and enjoy. Since running my first 5K I've been so pumped.
  • JustAGirlyGeek
    JustAGirlyGeek Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I love the NHS podcasts as well! The lady who talks you through the sessions is really great! Enjoy!