How to tell if you're "too skinny"?

Options
Okay okay, I know this is the opposite of weight loss, but I didn't know where else to post it, and it's a legit question - while we don't want to be overweight to an unhealthy degree, we don't want to be underweight to an unhealthy degree either, right???

I ask because someone told me today I'm too skinny because I have a visible "xylophone" (upper chest bones), and I wonder if there's any merit to that? Or the visibility of other bones (ribs? that's the only other relevant one I can think of offhand)? Or is there some measurement of some body part that, if under a certain amount, would indicate too-skinniness? Or is it all arbitrary and dependent on the individual's body shape, and thus there's no universal tell for being too skinny? I just feel like there must be SOME way to tell, because obviously some people are too skinny, and there's likely some body characteristic they all have in common indicating that.

For what it's worth, I certainly don't think I'm too skinny - I have muscle, and I'm within half a point of a healthy BMI (and apparently the BMI measurement is BS anyway).

Replies

• charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go based off bones, I can see mine (upper chest, really bony shoulders) and I have 29% body fat, could be your body weight distribution!
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    If that's your picture, I'd say you're too skinny too. Eat more protein.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    It depends on your built. I've been told a number of times including my gym that I'm "too skinny" or underweight even if my bmi is at 22-23 and considering that I have high muscle mass. I'm medium framed and my waist line is at 26-27" (varies depending on the amount of water and food intake for the whole day) and have visible muscles on my shoulders, biceps and forearms but also very visible wrist, elbow, hip and collar bone.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    agree
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Are you healthy? Thats what matters. And do you want more muscle mass so you fill out a little? I guess it depends how you feel and how you want to look but for you not for what others say.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Are you healthy? Thats what matters. And do you want more muscle mass so you fill out a little? I guess it depends how you feel and how you want to look but for you not for what others say.
    Partly disagree. Self-image after is created in a social environment.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't think going by what people say is good since people would tell me I was too skinny while still overweight. But bmi can be a good indicator. If you are underweight by bmi, I think it would be a good idea to get your body fat % checked to see if it is in a healthy range. Interested to see what others say....
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    If you're happy, energetic, and your doctor has confirmed that you have no health issues, I wouldn't worry about it. You look fine to me. Nothing wrong with very slim, toned arms.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I am going to be honest with you --I think you look too thin. I find your arms too thin and your neck shows too much tendon/cartilage. I don't know what you look like from behind, but I venture to guess your vertebrae probably protrude, too. A sunken chest cavity, protruding hip bones, the outline of a clavicle -- all signs of being extremely underweight. I'm not saying you have any of those, but your arms certainly look like they have NO healthy fat on them.

Now, before ANYONE accuses me of judging or body shaming, I want to remind you that the OP ASKED for our opinions. And I think the OP would look a lot healthier if she had AT LEAST 5 lbs more on her.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    agree
    I'd say you could use a good bulk. People only look too thin if they don't have enough muscle. It's not even about body fat percentage. Think about it, who has the lowest body fat percentages? Body builders. Look at this picture.
    e63acef269cb4948211fea139d958e49_zps9afe0dad.jpg
    This is Andreas Münzer. He was about 2% body fat. Would you say he's too thin? Of course not. The dude was massive, he just had no fat and a butt load of muscle. Go on a bulk, get some gains, cut and lose the fat you'll inevitably gain on your bulk. Report back in about nine months (assuming six month bulk and three month cut).
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    agree
    I'd say you could use a good bulk. People only look too thin if they don't have enough muscle. It's not even about body fat percentage. Think about it, who has the lowest body fat percentages? Body builders. Look at this picture.
    This is Andreas Münzer. He was about 2% body fat. Would you say he's too thin? Of course not. The dude was massive, he just had no fat and a butt load of muscle. Go on a bulk, get some gains, cut and lose the fat you'll inevitably gain on your bulk. Report back in about nine months (assuming six month bulk and three month cut).

Personally, this guy looks absolutely unattractive to me. Give me the body of a swimmer, diver or martial artist any day. I think a woman looks best with some curves to her.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    agree

Personally, this guy looks absolutely unattractive to me. Give me the body of a swimmer, diver or martial artist any day. I think a woman looks best with some curves to her.

I didn't post this picture to say whether or not he's attractive. I was simply using this as an example of being at an extremely low body fat percentage without looking "too thin." Now as a comparison, check out this Auschwitz mode bro that's probably at a higher body fat percentage than Münzer was.
    261e7c1d3f6403ec9dffaa85ef6946ba_zps456d87c4.jpg

Basically what I'm saying is this:

Very little fat + whole lot of muscle = strong and lean
    Lower/low-ish amount of fat + very little muscle = DYEL mode/Auschwitz mode/"too thin"
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Agreed completely.

agree

I didn't post this picture to say whether or not he's attractive. I was simply using this as an example of being at an extremely low body fat percentage without looking "too thin." Now as a comparison, check out this Auschwitz mode bro that's probably at a higher body fat percentage than Münzer was.
    261e7c1d3f6403ec9dffaa85ef6946ba_zps456d87c4.jpg

Basically what I'm saying is this:

Very little fat + whole lot of muscle = strong and lean
    Lower/low-ish amount of fat + very little muscle = DYEL mode/Auschwitz mode/"too thin"
  • rbrown2007
    Options
    May not be helpful, but I think as long as you have a healthy BMI then you are fine. Some people are always going to be envious of people who are naturally thin and don't have to work at it. More often than not, those are the people who are making the too skinny comments. Do what you feel/think is healthy and keeps you within a healthy BMI to live a healthy lifestyle. Best of luck
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If you have energy to spare and your health is good, who cares what anybody else thinks? You're the one who needs to be happy with your body, not us schmoes :)
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person telling you.

I'm considered chubby here in Korea :drinker:

edit: don't let people bully you into thinking you are too skinny, many people do this to make themselves feel better about their size/weight
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I think you look great. As long as you are eating plenty, cutting out junk, and didn't starve yourself to get there, you are fine.

Some people think a hint of xylophone is attractive (myself included).

If you want to add muscle, lift heavy weights and increase your protein intake.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I'm also at the low end of my BMI, and it's amazing what I can do with my body (cycling, running, pull-ups, etc.) when I have no excess weight to carry around.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is one universal way to tell if a person is too skinny and it depends a lot on an individual person's preferences, as well as many factors, such as where a person carries weight. I don't think people on the internet can diagnose you based on seeing one photo, of only one part of half of your body.

Some questions to ask yourself. Are you eating a good amount (not under eating or dieting when you clearly don't need to be). How is your health? How do you feel? How is your energy? How is your strength? Do you get your period and normal cycles? Do you have any nutritional deficiencies? Have your iron tested. What do you think when you look at yourself, and how does it compare to the size/weight/thinness you have been at other times in your life? Are your family members also slim and small framed?

You should see your doctor and discuss it with him/her and go over your health (and diet if needed). You can also ask a close person that you know and trust very well (and who is not one of those worry wart, over-reactive types of people that just perfers people a little heavier), preferably someone that has seen you naked (or mostly naked, such as in a bikini).

I am also slim, small framed, and at the lowest end of the healthy BMI spectrum. I have always been small and so is everyone else in my family. I have excellent health, blood work, iron levels, strength, energy. My doctor does not think I am underweight. I eat at the highest limit for a person my size (the amounts of an athlete that trains two times per day, even though I am not actually that active, although I do have an active lifestyle).

Also, this is a fitness site, not everyone here is trying to lose, some are even trying to gain. You can always ask questions like this. It's good that you have care and concern for your health and well-being.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    A healthy body fat percentage for a woman is above 18%, below that you risk loosing your fertility and such.

Being underweight isn't about looks, or what bones stick out where, or how other people view you. It's about your health. Are you meeting all your needs for micro and macronutrients? Do you have energy? Do you have a good appetite?

If you have any doubts, you can always visit a nutritionist.