Help! I hate most veggies!

Options
2»

Replies

• melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    If you like mashed potatoes, here is a great recipe that is healthier (and tastes great!) It uses cauliflower for some of the potatoes (and you can't even taste the cauliflower, it doesn't have much taste anyway).

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/cheesy-smashed-potatoes-94480.aspx

Trying to think of what is in season in TN right now. I know tomatoes (Ripley tomatoes! Yum!), squash, zucchini. I think I need to take a trip to the Farmer's Market tomorrow to see!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I bought a calabaza........some sort of squash.......we shall see!!

calabaza is spanish for the word "squash" :) there are hundreds of kinds of squash.. what does it look like?

in the summer we put squash in so many things. you can grill it, roast it, bake it. you can also eat the male squash flowers > stuff them with rice, herbs and cheese, dip in egg, pan fry in a small amount of oil. super yum.

our favorite way to eat summer squash is to slice it (about 1/8"), add a tbs of butter, 1/4c milk and a tbs of flour. toss with fresh thyme and bake for about 20m. seriously, one of the best ways i've ever eaten it.

for aging squash, i make squash breads > zucchini bread, patty pan bread, crookneck bread... doesn't matter what kind of squash.

:laugh: well then! It has yellow skin and is very orange inside, hard consistancy. Cooked up it is sorta like rutabaga but sweeter
  • biggieshorty
    Options
    bump
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options

:laugh: well then! It has yellow skin and is very orange inside, hard consistancy. Cooked up it is sorta like rutabaga but sweeter

was it this one? west indian squash? http://www.foodreference.com/html/art-calabaza-squash.html it's sometimes called calabaza..
  • aprueitt
    aprueitt Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness. What great ideas. Thank you so much..
  • LucyLawson
    Options
    I think theres alot of sodium in that and that would not be good either. Be careful with that and try to learn to eat more veggies!!!!!
  • goro2533
    goro2533 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all the replies, so sorry if someone else already mentioned this.

I just bought this book to help my kids eat veggies. It basically is a cookbook that camouflages vegetables in recipes so you don't know they're there. It hasn't arrived yet so I can't speak for the taste.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0762430753/ref=oss_product

She also wrote one for adults

http://www.amazon.com/Sneaky-Chef-Kitchen-Hiding-Healthy/dp/0762433205/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_3
  • aprueitt
    aprueitt Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I did it!! I bought all different kinds of fresh veggies today! I roasted, broccoli, cauliflower, and some kind of little thin green beans. I seasoned them with all diff kinds of stuff and they were not half bad. My son loved them. I didn't even know he liked them. :)
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I did it!! I bought all different kinds of fresh veggies today! I roasted, broccoli, cauliflower, and some kind of little thin green beans. I seasoned them with all diff kinds of stuff and they were not half bad. My son loved them. I didn't even know he liked them. :)

Way to go! Keep trying new things and I'm sure you'll find a number of vegetables that you like. Think about checking out a vegetarian cookbook or two to give you some ideas for ways to prepare veggies you know you like and also introduce you to ones you aren't familiar with. I say vegetarian just because I'm guessing that those will typically have more vegetables featured in them. :happy: They also typically have lots of bean and whole grain recipes too.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Think about checking out a vegetarian cookbook or two to give you some ideas for ways to prepare veggies you know you like and also introduce you to ones you aren't familiar with. I say vegetarian just because I'm guessing that those will typically have more vegetables featured in them.

also, often times vegetarian recipes can have meat added easily, whereas some meat-centric recipes are a little more dubious to convert - vegetarian cookbooks are the best!

i've suggested it somewhere before, but if you like Indian food, madur jaffey's world of east indian cooking is one of the best cookbooks i've ever used. every recipe is amazing!