Anyone From Florida!?

Options
Hey All!

So my husband and I are moving from CT to FL. We just sold our house and will be in FL by the end of June/beginning of July!! We have no kids and have wanted to do this for yrs. I am 26 and he will be 28 in a few months so we are just taking on this adventure together!!

My question is, is you live in FL what do you love and what do you hate?? I am curious and loooking for some insight!!

Thanks!!!:happy:

Replies

• lambchoplewis
    Options
    I used to live in Lakeland, Florida. We got transferred to Ohio and I hate it. I don't like 6 months (this winter we are going on 8 months) of grey skies, cold temps, crappy weather and hibernation. I loved Florida and found it much easier to stay healthy. Everyone is outside walking, biking, golfing and eat better. I loved it and envy you. We have 5 years to retirement and we will be joining you in the warm weather.

ENJOY you lucky person!!!
  • Fox_n_sox
    Fox_n_sox Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    What do I love about Florida? I actually live in South Florida ( 26 yrs old with a 2 yr old daughter) I love the afternoon thunderstorms you can count on 5/7 days of the week between 2 and 4 pm. The community yard sales that happen every Saturday. I love being only 7 miles away from the beach. Below Ground Pools. Wearing shorts on Christmas.

I hate the traffic, and the fact that every 1/8 of a mile there is a light. The fact that the SNOW birds come here for vacation. All the ignorant drivers. The sweltering heat of summer & the humidity.

Can't wait to see where you move! :D
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I live in Jacksonville. I love spring weather (70-80 degrees and low humidity). Hate the fact that road construction never ends and a project that would be one or two years up north takes three to four years here.
    Fun fact: no matter where in FL you are, you're never more than 50 miles from the beach.
  • kaylaandthestarcatcher
    Options
    I live in the Tampa area.

Um. Well.... There's a pretty good drag scene here. Lots of good queens and lots of places for queens from other states to visit. But that's what I'm into, so obviously it's not a perk for everyone else.

Ummm. There's some good theatre here! Yeah.

I'm not really a big fan of the heat and I don't like going to the beach and I never chose to live in Florida and I'm hopefully moving to New York soon, so I really don't have much to offer in terms of what's good about Florida because I'm sick of it and can't wait to leave!
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    I used to live in Lakeland, Florida. We got transferred to Ohio and I hate it. I don't like 6 months (this winter we are going on 8 months) of grey skies, cold temps, crappy weather and hibernation. I loved Florida and found it much easier to stay healthy. Everyone is outside walking, biking, golfing and eat better. I loved it and envy you. We have 5 years to retirement and we will be joining you in the warm weather.

ENJOY you lucky person!!!

I actually have a lot of family in Ohio and their weather is basically the same as CT....the winters are hard and long that's for sure. The fact that you find it easier to stay healthy is awesome to hear!!! I love being outside and with winters like the one we just had ..and feels like it's lingering, it makes it more difficult!
    Thank you so much for the info!! Yay!!
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    What do I love about Florida? I actually live in South Florida ( 26 yrs old with a 2 yr old daughter) I love the afternoon thunderstorms you can count on 5/7 days of the week between 2 and 4 pm. The community yard sales that happen every Saturday. I love being only 7 miles away from the beach. Below Ground Pools. Wearing shorts on Christmas.

I hate the traffic, and the fact that every 1/8 of a mile there is a light. The fact that the SNOW birds come here for vacation. All the ignorant drivers. The sweltering heat of summer & the humidity.

Can't wait to see where you move! :D

Shorts on Christmas!! I have never and I must this December!! Lol. My husband and I LOVE the beach as well and went to the beach here in the summer about 25 times!!! ..I love that you call the birds snow birds!! ..Thanks so much for the info :))
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    I live in Jacksonville. I love spring weather (70-80 degrees and low humidity). Hate the fact that road construction never ends and a project that would be one or two years up north takes three to four years here.
    Fun fact: no matter where in FL you are, you're never more than 50 miles from the beach.

That is a fun fact I love!! It has been 40 as the average Spring temp here :/
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    I live in the Tampa area.

Um. Well.... There's a pretty good drag scene here. Lots of good queens and lots of places for queens from other states to visit. But that's what I'm into, so obviously it's not a perk for everyone else.

Ummm. There's some good theatre here! Yeah.

I'm not really a big fan of the heat and I don't like going to the beach and I never chose to live in Florida and I'm hopefully moving to New York soon, so I really don't have much to offer in terms of what's good about Florida because I'm sick of it and can't wait to leave!

Haha! Hey I like any info I can get so thank you :)) Ahh, I do have to say I love NYC. It is a whole other world. If you have been you know what i am talking about. When we come back to visist family, NYC and Boston will def be places we go to as we love both:)
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Hey All!

So my husband and I are moving from CT to FL. We just sold our house and will be in FL by the end of June/beginning of July!! We have no kids and have wanted to do this for yrs. I am 26 and he will be 28 in a few months so we are just taking on this adventure together!!

My question is, is you live in FL what do you love and what do you hate?? I am curious and loooking for some insight!!

It totally depends on what part of Florida you are moving to.
    As another poster, I am also in South Florida (Palm Beach County.)
    I am a native here however, I did move around a bit in the Army.
    The beaches are wonderful for sure but, tourist season can be very trying/
    You can count on your afternoon thunderstorms (I drove my classic beetle last night in the worst one of the season). As mentioned, shorts at Christmas is normal and winter is usually from late Feb to early April.
    Now, if you are looking at Central Florida, maybe mud trucks are more your speed.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    . ..I love that you call the birds snow birds!! ..Thanks so much for the info :))
    "Snow Birds" are another name for the Northern tourists that come down for the winter.
    They are not actual physical birds that fly.
  • jk1231
    jk1231 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am in the middle East side of FL. I have been here all my life. The good points are THE BEACH, the river (Indian River Lagoon), the sun, and the tropical feel (which I LOVE)
    The bad points are the blast of oven like air you get June-September every time you step outside, the bugs (there are a ton that sting/bite), and the snow birds (sorry Nana and Granddaddy). I wouldn't want to live anywhere else :)

We are in a tropical part of FL but if you are moving to North FL, it is much more country with actual hills and chilly weather during the winter. Christmas is usually very nice about 78 degrees :) Good luck in your move!
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    . ..I love that you call the birds snow birds!! ..Thanks so much for the info :))
    "Snow Birds" are another name for the Northern tourists that come down for the winter.
    They are not actual physical birds that fly.

OMG Hahahaha!! Well then, you learn something new everyday!
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    I am in the middle East side of FL. I have been here all my life. The good points are THE BEACH, the river (Indian River Lagoon), the sun, and the tropical feel (which I LOVE)
    The bad points are the blast of oven like air you get June-September every time you step outside, the bugs (there are a ton that sting/bite), and the snow birds (sorry Nana and Granddaddy). I wouldn't want to live anywhere else :)

We are in a tropical part of FL but if you are moving to North FL, it is much more country with actual hills and chilly weather during the winter. Christmas is usually very nice about 78 degrees :) Good luck in your move!

So stock up on bug spray, check! Haha. Thank you for a ll the info! :smile:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Florida and left for college. I'm 40 now and moved back recently. I love running on the beach, the way the sky is clear blue, the white sand, the constant sea breeze, and the way people are usually quite friendly. I am in the pool or on the beach even in the winter.

I do not like the fact that the tourism industry is such a big part of the economy, nor do I like the number of retirees. Not that I dislike the older set per se, but I do hate their refusal to fund the schools here.

The point is there is some good and some bad. The beach makes up for most of the bad though.
  • imfivebyfive
    Options
    I'm from Florida. I was at the beach last night and the sunset was amazing! It's a beautiful place and I've lived all over the country.
  • tomii13
    tomii13 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm from Miami. I left up north for college. I love the cold, I love winter and the activities. So I can say that after 26 years, I'm finally learning to love my city. It has a little bit of everything. I don't really go to the beach, but you we usually have great weather, except for rainy season.

I have a love/hate relationship, but that's a long story and I HATE the traffic and compared to other states, people can be rude at times. But I usually keep to myself anyways. lol.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Hey All!

Where at in FL are you moving to?
    I'm in Orlando.
    My Florida gripes: 1. the traffic and 2. the way people drive. It's like a mad house, totally ridiculous. I am use to it but it's still a pain sometimes.
    tourism - i also hate how that has evolved in this state. Its a mess.
    My loves: the beaches, the weather (except for the stormy summer showers), and the flat land to take jogs on.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I also live in South Florida, West Broward County/ Fort Lauderdale. The great point about South Florida is the diversity that we have with so many cultures and, if you want, you can experience that with just a short drive and a little planning. The night life is great, downtown Fort Lauderdale and Miami’s South Beach, Coconut Grove, etc… There nothing better than to party with your friends while looking at the ocean across the street, or going to a hip restaurant with your hubby by the beach. We have lots of parks, water sports, fishing, and opportunities to be outdoors. There is no way to express how lucky we are to be able to wear shorts and sandals in the middle of “winter” and if it is a little bit cold all we require is a sweater or light jacket (while wearing shorts and sandals…) If you are into the arts; there is always something going on; from the Opera, art exhibitions, concerts, festivals, etc. We are blesses that if there is a “world tour” for a musician or bad we can be sure they will stop here in one of the three counties. Cons: Summer is hot and humid. Also, afternoon showers, mosquitoes, “snow birds”, lots of tourists, road construction, and high prices for real estate and rentals.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I actually appreciate the tourism industry. Bored on a weekend? Go to Sea World, or Disney, or Busch Gardens, or the beach, or go swim with manatees, or go fishing, or go waterskiing, or let's go surfing, or find a great tiki bar and a steel drum band, or let's go for cuban food, or let's go to the pool, or Wet n Wild or Islands of Adventure (or one of the other many water parks), or let's go on a safari, or let's go find a ropes course and zip-line it over the trees, or hey, I'm bored with all those so let's find something else to do. Oh, and we're Florida residents, so we got an annual pass. YAY!!!!!

Whew! I'm completely out of breath now.

If you're a kid at heart, this place is awesome.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Are you Navy? We moved from Groton, CT to the Florida/Georgia line in September. I love it here.