Getting over the fat man stigma

Options
2»

Replies

• barrattandrew
    Options
    you can do it. I found that starting with my nutrition first and losing a bit that way without hammering the gym to begin with made me more concious of what I eat. I now treat calories like credits that I earn! Also found that doing an exercise that I enjoy and that the time rattle by helps a lot.
  • JustDeke
    JustDeke Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I just recently overcame my own mental fat man stigma when I finally mustered the courage to join a gym a month ago. At 400+ I am easily the biggest person I've seen in my gym so far.

However, I've found that people at a gym are pretty much just focused on their own work out. My presence is almost entirely ignored. The few people who have noticed have all been very encouraging. Turns out everyone, regardless of their size, are at the gym for the same thing.

Go for it!

-Deke
    Follow my progress:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/JustDeke
  • veganstein
    veganstein Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When I see someone who is very heavy at the gym, my reflex thought is "Good on you!". I would never tell them that, I fear it would sound patronizing, but I am admiring their working toward improving their health. It never occurred to me to have any negative thoughts, we're all there for the same reason!