Stop treating food like the boogie monster...

Options
1235»

Replies

• marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    FOOD, GLORIOUS FOOD! I LOVE REAL FOOD! There, I said it. Count me in Taunto!!

I have learned that I can eat REAL food and lose weight - but I must be sensible and be mindful of portion size.

I am making a conscious effort to bring more healthy foods into my kitchen - but I'm not going to eat "diet' foods. I've added new things to my diet that I thoroughly enjoy.

The other day I tried cottage cheese with peaches. I used to think of it as diet food, but I discovered it is delicious and I will be eating more of that to my eating routine. Why? Because I like it.

I love salads - really, I enjoy them - and I use "real" salad dressing, not fat-free - because I do not enjoy the taste of the fat-free dressings. My salads have veggies, fruits, nuts, protein and delicious dressings. Yummy!

I love steak - therefore, I eat steak. I also love chicken and fish and pork - and I eat them all. Generally they are baked or grilled - if I have fried chicken, well it's once in a while and I enjoy every bite of it.

Some dishes I love are really, really obscenely fat-filled and I'm trying to find healthier versions that are still delicious. Like I can make Fetticuni Al Fredo using low fat cheese and low fat milk. I am willing to compromise on dishes I want to eat more often than "once in a blue moon". I really like creamy pasta dishes and Chinese food - so I search recipe sites for healthier versions. I'm not going to eat 1/4 cup of scallops mornay - I want a full serving.

The whole thing is we have to be conscious of portion sizes.

Oh, and about 90% of the food in a grocery store being something your grandmother wouldn't recognize --think about what Grandma had to chose from - meat, eggs, milk, cheese, veggies, etc. -- i.e. "real" foods. Canned soup was probably the only "processed" food on the shelves. A few weeks ago I went shopping on my own so I spent some extra time in the grocery aisles -- it's amazing what's available these days. People don't have to "cook" anymore - they just have to open packages and heat. And cooking from "scratch" - well, that's opening things like: Land O Lakes "Express Saute Starters" or Philadelphia Cream Cheese "Cooking Creme" or Progresso's "Recipe Starters", etc., etc., etc.

So for me -- I'm going to eat real food and I'm going to enjoy it.

So: 'MANGIARE' (EAT!) - and enjoy!

(Wow - I didn't mean to write a book - but it's a subject that is near and dear to my heart!) :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    It takes time to get there for some people. Food (the wrong kinds) can be an addiction to some, one they've used all their lives. It IS a bit scary to suddenly NOT be doing that and to learn moderation. That is a concept that does have to be learned for some. I get how it can be scary. You don't know if you trust yourself to just eat one of something. Have patience with the food phobic. They'll get there.
  • MelissaVoci
    MelissaVoci Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like this, because I have spent years chasing the low fat / sugar free "healthy" versions of foods that I love, feeling unsatisfied with them, overeating, struggling with cravings, feeling sick and bloated and just generally gross.... About a month ago, per dr's orders, I cut out dairy (OMG!) other than that, I just made a choice to skip the crappy processed not really food, but kinda tastes like food..... I cut up fruit in the morning to eat throughout the day, have a tasty reasonably sized lunch (usually leftovers from last nights dinner), and a big salad with a small portion of dinner at night. I make sure to drink my water (although I have failed this last week!) I do drink alcohol once or twice a month (and I tend to over do it when I do) BUT - I make sure to have food ready before I drink, food I will actually want to eat, so I don't order pizza and go hog wild. I have to say, cutting out this processed CRAP, and allowing myself to ENJOY foods I like, I feel TONS better!!!! I have lost 13 pounds, and have found that I actually feel FULL when I eat. It is amazing!!! <3 I never would have thought that eating like this would be okay, and I am losing weight better now than when I was chasing the diet train!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have followed the serving sizes and measured everything I have eaten for the past 2 weeks and have lost 6 lbs. I am having to incorporate more high caloric processed foods to try and reach my RDI. I love to eat. I refuse to stop. The difference is now I eat with self control and to satisfaction not uncomfortable, sickening fullness. I could probably exercise more but I am lazy...working on that though :laugh:

Why do you have to eat processed foods to reach your RDI? I'm not one that believes all processed foods are bad, but there are plenty of high calorie foods that are not processed.

Look at my diary....I dont want to drink olive oil and avocados are yummy but getting old. I was sick yesterday because I ate too much. Maybe I need more high calorie ideas. IDK I am still new. I am switching to full fat products though as soon as whats left runs out. Maybe less fiber? IDK if you have any ideas I am very ready to accept them

EDIT : Oh yeah I am not exercising as much as I could so I think that will help I am always hungry after I exercise

Processed carbs, fat and protein have exactly the same calories as unprocessed. You are pretty low on protein and also not meeting your carb goal. Why not add some meat, beans and nuts (or nut butter)? If you aren't allergic and you like it, at over 100 calories per tablespoon peanut butter is a great way to add calories. Drop the processed fatty foods and cook your food in a healthy fat.

I eat everything you mentioned 1-3 times a day. I have Whey Protein in route to help with the protein aspect. Lately it has been almond butter not peanut butter. I dont use any fats to cook in at all. Maybe once a week I use a 1/4 of a tbsp of coconut oil. Mostly all my carbs are fruit and veggies. I eat meat every meal.Beans everyday. And nuts everyday as well, plus in different forms.I need some high calorie very small portioned items. All I keep thinking is a cheeseburger from McDonalds will boost me 300 calories and is very small to eat and not over filling. But I know thats not the healthiest, there has to be something else lol

I guess I don't understand. If you need more calories and are not too full to eat McD cheeseburger then why not just eat more of the less processed stuff? If you have the calories available and want to eat McD that's fine, but it's not necessary.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    eat whatever the heck you want to,,, just go work it off.. DUH~
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Food is still evil. I don't care what you say.

Except peanut butter. God gave us that.
  • neeko_3
    neeko_3 Posts: 68
    Options
    I would say i eat "clean" 95% of the time. Literally this is all i eat and i am okay with it. It has done wonders for me. Everybody is different and has different goals they want to achieve!

by clean i mean specifically these foods:

Protein:
    Whey protein powder
    Most any fish
    Eggs/whites
    turkey breasts/ burger 99%fat free
    Chicken Breasts
    Steak

Carbs:
    Sweet potatoes
    Oats
    Brown Rice sometimes white
    Whole wheat/grain breads

Fats:
    Almonds
    Fish oil
    Olive Oil
    Avacado.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    "Eat anything and everything."

No.

While this method will work for some, it doesn't work for many.

Two reason.

One. Most people don't understand serving sizes much less moderation.

Two. Many here have food allergies, intolerances, or other medical conditions causing them to NOT be able to eat everything and anything.

The minute people here stop acting like they are all nutritionists and dietitians and stop feeding us this "one size fits all" model the sooner we can all get along on these forums.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I have followed the serving sizes and measured everything I have eaten for the past 2 weeks and have lost 6 lbs. I am having to incorporate more high caloric processed foods to try and reach my RDI. I love to eat. I refuse to stop. The difference is now I eat with self control and to satisfaction not uncomfortable, sickening fullness. I could probably exercise more but I am lazy...working on that though :laugh:

Why do you have to eat processed foods to reach your RDI? I'm not one that believes all processed foods are bad, but there are plenty of high calorie foods that are not processed.

Look at my diary....I dont want to drink olive oil and avocados are yummy but getting old. I was sick yesterday because I ate too much. Maybe I need more high calorie ideas. IDK I am still new. I am switching to full fat products though as soon as whats left runs out. Maybe less fiber? IDK if you have any ideas I am very ready to accept them

EDIT : Oh yeah I am not exercising as much as I could so I think that will help I am always hungry after I exercise

Processed carbs, fat and protein have exactly the same calories as unprocessed. You are pretty low on protein and also not meeting your carb goal. Why not add some meat, beans and nuts (or nut butter)? If you aren't allergic and you like it, at over 100 calories per tablespoon peanut butter is a great way to add calories. Drop the processed fatty foods and cook your food in a healthy fat.

I eat everything you mentioned 1-3 times a day. I have Whey Protein in route to help with the protein aspect. Lately it has been almond butter not peanut butter. I dont use any fats to cook in at all. Maybe once a week I use a 1/4 of a tbsp of coconut oil. Mostly all my carbs are fruit and veggies. I eat meat every meal.Beans everyday. And nuts everyday as well, plus in different forms.I need some high calorie very small portioned items. All I keep thinking is a cheeseburger from McDonalds will boost me 300 calories and is very small to eat and not over filling. But I know thats not the healthiest, there has to be something else lol

I guess I don't understand. If you need more calories and are not too full to eat McD cheeseburger then why not just eat more of the less processed stuff? If you have the calories available and want to eat McD that's fine, but it's not necessary.

Okay here I will try and explain it better....I have been eating an avocado pretty much every day to boost calories. I heard 2 tbsp of olive oil will work as well but I dont think I can drink that . I do not like falling around the 1300 cals a day mark when I should be consuming 1900. I am eating pretty clean but I get too full and feel like I am forcing it and then I feel like crap physically not mentally. I need more little (like an avocado) ideas that I can eat for just calories. I do think a cheeseburger would be too much but it is 300 calories. they have gotten very small with their cheeseburgers. Rather not so def ideas PLZ