Almond Milk

Options

Replies

• Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I love to put almond milk in a bowl and then add frozen blueberries. In a minute or two the milk has crystalized around the blueberries and it becomes almost like ice cream. It fills me up like ice cream. I love it this way.:flowerforyou:

That sounds great! I can't wait to give it a try.
  • Tsunami79
    Tsunami79 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I picked up some silk almond milk to try it today, the dark chocolate kind.

I am not lactose intolerant but, I don't like the taste of cows milk in less it is in cereal, and even then it has to be skim.

The dark chocolate is really tasty, was expecting it to taste like ensure, which is gross.

I am worried about the sugar that is in it, it has 22g per serving.

Was wondering what other people thought about the sugar?
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I love it too!
    I'm having trouble finding the unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk near me so I've been having the reg which has more calories, oh well.
    Pacific source has one. Natural section at Fred Meyer/Kroger stores. WinCo cereal isle
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes Unsweetened Almond Milk is bliss in a carton. Love that stuff.
  • nicoleknapp754
    Options
    almond milk does not have any cow milk in it...
  • charleneagilmore
    charleneagilmore Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That IS a lot of sugar. We only get the unsweetened Almond milk from Whole Foods (buy two at a time). It's cheaper than milk, it tastes great, less fat, less sugar, less calories and we use it every day in protein smoothies.

Easy smoothie formula is...

1-1.5 scoops good quality vanilla or chocolate protein powder - we use no sugar added whey from Hammer Nutrition (hemp or plant based if you are vegan or vegetarian)
    3/4-1 cup almond milk
    1/2 cup frozen fruit- I prefer raspberries, my husband prefers cherries

optional: first two will make shake creamier
    - 1/2 cup 0% Fage greek yogurt (for extra protein)
    - 1/2 soft fruit (avocado or banana- I can't abide bananas, so have to go w/ former)
    - 1 tsp honey (or agave sweetener if you are vegan or vegetarian- I don't use any sweetener)
    - 2 TBS PB2 or PB2 Chocolate - I only add these because I have to use them up. I bought some and don't like the flavor or the fact that it's a super processed food. But- low cal and extra protein are reasons some people like it

I also use it to bake- made some bran muffins w/ it this evening- VERY good.
  • Jennhaley6
    Jennhaley6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you're having a hard time finding it, try looking for the shelf stable version. Sometimes I can't find the unsweetened vanilla in the refrigerated section, but I can usually find on the shelf!
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have almond milk in my smoothies every day! So yummy, and low cal and nutty.
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Tried Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla when the supermarket ran out of Silk vanilla soy. Never looked back. Have it in my coffee every day. Love it!
  • DivineDee
    DivineDee Posts: 23
    Options
    I love Almond Milk. I use it in the morning when I make my breakfast shake. I add a variety of fruit and ice chips; it's so good:happy: I have also tried the Soy milk they even have it in chocolate.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk. I love it so much I have to be careful when it is in my house. I could drink half a carton a day. Oooops I did last time I had it in my house which is why I haven't bought any for a while.
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have never tried it or even heard of it over here in the UK. Does anyone know where I can get some?

You should be able to find it in Sainsbury's or Waitrose, although only the plain variety, I'll have to search for the chocolate stuff, sounds gorgeous!

And I'm a recent convert to almond milk, so much nicer in regular tea or coffee than rice milk (which is nice in porridge).
  • crushthestars
    Options
    Vanilla almond milk is amazing. I've been drinking it as a substitute for cow milk for a few years now.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I love love loveee almond milk! (I also can't get enough rice milk)
    My favorite way to enjoy it:
    When I have a sweet tooth, I pour a cup, add a tiny bit of vanilla extract, a dash of cinnamon, and a splenda. Mix it up and it's a lot like a horchata. Yum yum yum!

Oh thanks for the idea! I buy the unsweetened kind and only use it to make protein shakes/smoothies but that sounds delicious!
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have never tried it or even heard of it over here in the UK. Does anyone know where I can get some?

You should be able to find it in Sainsbury's or Waitrose, although only the plain variety, I'll have to search for the chocolate stuff, sounds gorgeous!

And I'm a recent convert to almond milk, so much nicer in regular tea or coffee than rice milk (which is nice in porridge).
    I get alpro almond milk at waitrose or ocado and I think you can get it from holland and barret.
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    Chocolate almond milk is bomb
  • emzilee
    emzilee Posts: 96 Member
    Options

I get alpro almond milk at waitrose or ocado and I think you can get it from holland and barret.

Tesco have litre cartons on offer for £1 :)
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: almond milk!

I've been drinking it now for about a year (i rarely drink just an actual glass of the stuff, but love adding it to my coffee/tea, cereal, smoothies, oatmeal). I haven't tried any of the chocolate flavoured kinds yet, i usually go for the unsweetened ones (Silk plain unsweetened, Silk unsweetened vanilla, Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond Coconut (my fave at the moment!!!), Earth'sOwn Fresh unsweetened original)...I like that it's only 30-35 cals per cup depending on the brand and really low in sugars and carbs compared to regular cows milk (1g compared to 11/12g!)
  • nellysaurus88
    nellysaurus88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried Blue Diamond's Almond Milk With Coconut? I used to hate cereal with a passion. I thought it was so boring, but when I tried this out it just made everything tastes so good. Oh plus it's low in calories :)
  • diaryofaskinnygirl
    Options
    I just saw Blue Diamond Almond milk for the first time in my supermarket (I live in Ireland) and picked it up. Contrary to all the rave reviews I really didn't like it! :(

It tastes very bland to me and there's hardly any protein in it.

I much prefer my Alpro Light Soy Milk, which still only has 44 calories a cup. Tastes better to me and has more protein!