anyone else dislike healthy foods?

Options
Oompa_Loompa
Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
I'm getting really annoyed with myself. I need to force down healthy foods sometimes. I would rather eat chicken fingers and french fries everyday. I feel like when I eat healthier foods I'm never full. When I eat the foods that I enjoy(fried, greasy) I feel satisfied longer (not emotionally)
Im just getting really desparate. I want to be healthy and make better choices but I dont like anything so its hard. Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    What do you consider to be "healthy foods"? I make awesome breaded chicken strips and homemade fries for low calories. Healthy doesn't have to mean salad and boring light foods, you just need to get a bit creative and make healthy foods that work for you.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    The only green vegetable I will eat is broccoli
  • iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Exactly what Alatariel75 said.

We make homemade chicken fingers and fries when we get the fast food craving, or homemade burgers with lean beef. You don't need to stick to the standard of 'healthy eating'

emilybites.com - Check her stuff out. She makes some great portion sizes too. We've made a ton from her website and have yet to be disappointed.
  • cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Im am exactly the same way..what healthy foods I do eat, Im getting tired of them. I try new stuff but I dont like it. Im trying hard to make this a life style change but the food is the hard part. I have always been picky..all my life.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I love healthy food. It is all I eat.

I don't like cooking much & don't get bored with my food so my meals are simple. - But you can find tons of wonderful recipes to add lots of variety in a healthy way.
  • kaylindeschanel
    kaylindeschanel Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    if by healthy foods you mean vegetables and flax seeds, I can sense your pain. i don't think anyone grows up being in love with organic produce, but it's an acquired taste.

I think there are a few ways that can help:
    1) season your vegetables to your liking. douse it in some delicious sauces (don't go too overboard on this one though) and make sure that the seasoning is just right.

2) normally if you crave fast food/junk, it means you're looking to satisfy a salt craving. have nuts or dark chocolate for cravings. you don't have to deprive yourself of your fast food delicacies, but it's good to replace them with healthier alternatives.

3) special K chips are good!

4) you probably hate vegetables, but if you put them in with your favorite foods (like....tortilla wraps with lettuce/cucumbers/peppers along with your favorite grilled chicken and ranch) it makes consuming the healthier foods easier.

start small, gradually make your way up into 100% organics and away from fast food.
    but if you quit anything cold turkey, you'll end up binging and doing more damage than anything.

good luck to you!
  • simplynaturalfarm
    simplynaturalfarm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It is because your idea of healthy is off. :) If you are craving greasy food, try more greasy food - have yourself a high protein high fat snack and skip the carbs - chicken fingers made from chicken and parmesan cheese dipped in ranch is delicious. Nice greasy hamburger minus the bun with cheese, acavado and bacon is a killer. and maybe you would thrive on a low carb diet that has lots of good fat in it!
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters who have said that you can make healthier versions of your favourite foods. It actually feels like quite a victory knowing you can make something delicious that is actually doing wonderful things for your body!

I also say: keep forcing it down. Believe me, your tastes will change. At least mine did and I've heard several others say the same. As I started to eat healthier and healthier, I noticed that the stuff I used to LOVE (fast food, chips, cupcakes, fried foods) have almost no appeal to me now. I really truly believe that once you start feeding your body what it really needs, your tastes will adapt to crave that nutrition you are supplying.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I want to know what you consider healthy food.

It is ok to eat fatty food, but you got to chose what kind of fat it is wisely.

I eat avocado and egg on whole-grain toast for breakfast and find it very satisfying.

My dinner is a meat cooked with lots of different vegetables and spices or herbs for flavours, with rice, quinoa or potato, or occasionally pasta or noodles. Sometimes I might add yoghurt or sour cream, depending on what I am having and how many calories I have left.

Lunch is usually left-overs or a tasty salad with a bit of meat or egg for protein.

I do still have a weak spot for chocolate, but a lot of other 'unhealthy' foods, when I eat them I feel kind of sick afterwards.

Also, fruit is delicious,
    Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Fruit and yoghurt is a tasty treat. :D
  • mbourke8
    mbourke8 Posts: 27
    Options
    Yep, healthy foods can be an acquired taste.
    Seasoning/herbs/vinegar, lemon juice, lime juice are a great way to increase taste
    Olive oil, avocado, greek yogurt are my go-to foods when I'm craving something substantial. Really, there's a lot of uses for avocado and I've found it to be the most satisfying food of all time.
    Cravings for unhealthy food subside when you don't eat them- it is proven that they cause addict-like reactions in your brain! Of course we all love to eat them... but we have to make the conscious decision to not do that to ourselves. I think about McD as = smoking.
    Everything in moderation.
  • kbrhelker23
    Options
    its been going down ok with me so far over 2 months in... i like that i dont feel that good if i splurge on junk food its a good internal reminder that the body really craves healthy fresh whole foods... but we have been eating chicken for lunch and dinner every night for like almost he 2 months... and i LOVE chicken, but that is getting old ... i know i could eat beef and ham and stuff... i hate ham....lol and im not a huge beef fan... seafood we eat too. but i find with healthy food u have to plan out every little thing you eat which sucks. it takes me almost an hour just to make lunch most days its rediculous. making things healthy from home takes alot of time and thought.. sometimes i search the internet for hours looking for new ideas because ive made so many things im sick of them all.. ugh idk i could go on and on.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Lots of good points in this thread, like how there are healthy foods that can still satisfy cravings. I just wanted to add that I think you can change your tastes, although it takes time. For instance, in high school my favourite thing the caf sold was panzerotti. About a year ago I started actively trying to eat healthier. A couple weeks ago I picked up pepperoni panzerotti... and I just couldn't finish it. It was the same type I used to love, but now it was frankly just plain gross.

Meanwhile, in high school I disliked most vegetables. There are still some I can't stand because of texture or flavour (you cannot get me to touch an unpureed tomato for love or money), but now I actually enjoy things I used to avoid like eggplant, asparagus and sweet potatoes.

Obviously it takes time and baby steps, but it is possible!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    FML
  • marlysgirl
    marlysgirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I get lettuce wrapped fast food burgers. delish!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    After a while, healthy food become more appealing. Fast food is basically a last resort for me these days, and its just unappealing and makes me sick.

In the mean time, try healthier versions of your favorite foods. Every unhealthy food has a healthier option. In stead of fried chicken and french fries, try baked chicken breaded with panko crumbs and roasted potatoes. There are a million ways satisfy yourself.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Play with seasoning and sauce. The "same old chicken" tastes different if you spice it up with taco sauce or szechuan, coat it in parmesan breading or wrap it in bacon - all are possibilities and good for you. Try a pork chop for a change of pace or a can of tuna - all are easy to fix without too much advanced planning needed. One of my favorites is chicken breast covered with strips of red pepper and sometimes tomatoes baked in the oven - 5 minutes of prep and an unattended hour in the oven and you get both meat and veggies. Add a side of your favorite carb and it's a complete meal.
  • jasminnieto
    Options
    ive never liked veggies..:( sad to say.. i cnt lose any more weight and mayb thats y
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    FML

LOL That's constructive.

To the OP: I'm not sure honestly how someone can survive on chicken fingers and french fries alone. And I LOVE my greasy food trust me! I used to eat fast food almost every day. But you can make burgers, chicken, etc at home for a fraction of the cost! :) French fries in the oven taste fantastic and have 1/4 of the cals you'd get by stopping at the joint down the street.

You don't like ANY vegetables at all? There are an amazing number to choose from, they can't be ALL bad to you!
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone mentioned this but just eat what you want. However (yes there's always a however), keep it in moderation and as long as you're within your caloric intake.

Craving a five guys burger? Eat it very slowly, try eating only half of it, and only a few pieces of fries. Now ask yourself how do you feel. Feeling like ****? Good, put it down or toss it out. There goes satisfying your junky food craving, and the more you do this in making you realize how bad you feel afterwards, that's when eating a little healthier becomes easier.

If you have to force yourself to think about what to eat and what not to eat because it's good or bad for you, that's when this diet will never work. Dieting and losing weight in a caloric deficit can only be sustained if you keep it up, habitually. Not temporarily for a few pounds for this summer.