losing weight during vacations? (Disneyworld) need some tips

Options

Replies

• ds1007
    ds1007 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    We are going to Orlando in September/October. I'm not planning on losing weight, but I am hoping not to gain a whole lot - we are going during the Food & Wine Festival - on purpose. I think (I hope) that with all the additional walking, that might help with some of the calories, especially since the Festival is held at Epcot, which requires a lot of walking to begin with.

I am hoping that the Fitbit Flex is out by then (it was supposed to be out this Spring but it's been delayed) that way I can see how much walking we are really doing.
  • john062
    john062 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Can bring in your own food. Not sure about drinks maybe water.

Trust me you will do enough walking in that place to burn off what ever you do eat.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Eat. Don't attempt to lose weight while you are on vacation. It's starting to get humid and it is warming up here in central Florida. You need to stay nourished and hydrated when you are going to be on the go all day.

I went on a Disney cruise a few months ago and ate like a pig. My weight was back to pre-cruise within a week without any drastic measures.
  • stestut
    stestut Posts: 42
    Options
    I came home with a 2 1/2 pound loss from Disney. Just make wise choices. Dont have a Mickey Ice Cream twice a day, or a churro at every stop. And keep up with your water. Does your hotel have a fitness room? Use it! Even if you've got to get up a little earlier to get in your 4% (1 hour).

YOU CAN DEFINITELY DO IT!!!
  • stestut
    stestut Posts: 42
    Options
    I tend to overplan a little but...here is a website I used http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningmain.cfm

We are going in a couple of months and we always plan a couple of big meals and then stick to counter service for the rest. I worked out a list of places in each park that had healthy choices. I plan to have that and when we decide to stop and eat I can look for a healthy choice that is nearby. I'm not going to go overboard because I know I will burn enough calories with all the walking but I like knowing there are healty options around me if I choose.

Sample for Magic Kingdom

Be Our Guest
    -Quinoa Salad
    -Vegetable Quiche

Cosmic Rays
    -Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Cucumber Salad
    -Veggie Burger
    -Turkey Sandwich w/apple slices

Liberty Square Market
    -whole fruit

Pecos Bill
    -Veggie Burger
    -Caesar Salad
    -Chicken wrap w/apple slices
    -Taco Salad

Pinocchio Village Haus
    -Caesar Salad
    -BBQ chicken flatbread
    -Mediterranean Salad

Tortuga Tavern
    -Taco Salad
    -Vegetarian Burrito

Again, I tend to overplan and all of those options may not be low cal or completely healthy, but better than pizza and burgers everyday. We will have 7 days in the park and way too much time to eat. Enjoy your vacation!!

the Quinoa Salad at Be Our Guest is FANTASTIC!!! But try to go for Lunch because dinner is reservations only.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    You can check out menus on Disneyworld's website(probably for the other theme parks too)so look ahead if you have ideas of what restaurants you're going to, and plan to make smarter choices. You do walk a lot, so that will burn some of those calories, so really I say, enjoy the food. Eat in moderation and make healthy choices, but don't deprive yourself of getting the full experience.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm going in 10 days. So excited.

Google 'eating healthy at Disney World'. I got a lot of hits. I wrote down those places that have some healthier choices.

Columbia Arbor House - Magic Kingdom - liberty square
    Cosmic Rays - Magic Kingdom - tomorrowland
    Hollywood studio - Starring Rolls
    Epcott - Sunshine Seasons - Land pavilion
    Animal Kingdom - Flame Tree BBQ

You can bring your own food, some places deliver groceries so it's an option if you have a fridge. I personally don't want to 1) have to stay at the hotel to get the food, 2) carry a ton of stuff (I'll already carry changes of clothes for the kids and whatnot). I'm bringing our water bottles though. You can refill them at the water fountains at the park or ask for ice. And I'll bring protein bars and fresh fruit (I'll make room in the suitcases!).

I know some people mention the turkey legs but someone posted somewhere that they are 1000 calories! I'd stay away. Those dole whips things are only 100 calories however, so feel free to indulge in those.

Good thing is not having to worry about working out, you'll probably walk a lot. I have no intention on blowing up my diet on theme park food, personally (except maybe at Epcott). Now, if it was a cruise... that would be hard.
  • stephelan
    stephelan Posts: 81
    Options
    I think with all the walking and weather and stuff, you should be all right.

Plus, I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't...really diet TOO severely during vacation anyway. I mean, don't go NUTS eating/drinking whatever but it's ~VACATION~ and if you diet with the intention to lose, it won't be as fun, I think. Don't forget about eating healthy but put it on the shelf for the week. It's a short amount of time and you can resume when you get home. Don't remember it as the vacation where everyone else got Dole Whip and you didn't. It'll just stress you out if you think about it the whole time, ENJOY YOURSELF!!!
  • tbgree00
    tbgree00 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I got to Disney World a lot and am having this same problem. That said I have a pretty good plan going forward.

In Magic Kingdom and Epcot they have a treat called the Dole Whip. It's pineapple soft serve ice cream. From what I gather one serving is 80 calories and they probably give you that or a little more now since they downsized their portions.

All of the ice cream carts have fruit bars, frozen bananas, and other lower calorie options.

Don't be afraid to be picky when you eat table service. If you don't want something ask the server if they can change it up. You can also ask for the chef to come talk to you about ingredients at buffets. I have to do this because I have a honey allergy so I always get a chef's tour of the buffets. If Disney can make it for you they will.

Also if you get the counter service fast food you can substitute fries and chips for apples, grapes, carrots, etc. Disney fries are kinda gross anyway so I do this even when I'm not watching what I eat. they're individually packaged so you take them with you too.

My last bit of advice is DON'T GET THE DINING PLAN. Even if you're not watching your weight it's likely to not be a good value to you and if you are it will tank you. It comes with two snacks (cupcakes, rice krispie treats, etc), one counter service (fast food) meal with dessert, and one table service (sit down) meal with dessert every day. We did it once and despite 15 miles/day of walking I still gained 6lbs.

Feel free to message me if you want any help with a trip. I'm not a travel agent, just obsessed!
  • lahlstephens
    lahlstephens Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to start your day in the hotel gym and get in a quick workout. I always feel more energized knowing I've already worked out for the day. Eat breakfast in your room or at the hotel (cereal, milk, fruit), something to get your day started on the right foot. At the parks, just watch the desserts at the restaurants, because they are amazing. Choose lean meats and a salad if possible. They usually have wraps too, much better for you than a hamburger and fries. And...don't worry! Have fun!!! If you don't get to the gym, don't worry about it. You will be walking so much and it will be so hot that you will be fine. Choose to drink lots of water at the snack stands...you will need it!
  • gabegrammy
    gabegrammy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    We are going to Bike Week next month and camping the whole week. I will exercise daily, but do I really want to weigh everything I eat. I hope to stay in my daily calorie, but it's ok if I don't, as long as I don't go over too much. I wont be logging that week, but I will be mindfull of my choices.
  • Bella0608
    Bella0608 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    We are going in October (eeeeeeeeek) and I'm going to enjoy my time there I'm not going to count calories just make good choices and all the walking wow just think of the calorie burn! If I want ice cream I'm having it :-)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I actually just went earlier this month - didn't watch eating at all beyond eating when hungry and eating normal portions, lost a pound just from all the walking around. Wear good supportive shoes and have fun!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I went in September for a week and came back 4lbs down. It was 90 or higher every day, and we easily walked 5 miles every day, and spend several hours a day playing in a pool. I ate and ate and ate and still lost. Don't worry about it and have fun.
  • rugbygirlca
    Options
    The only thing that gets me on vacation is the salt. Restaurant food (even the healthier choices) are sooooo much higher in salt than anything I would ever prepare for myself. When we were at Disney in the fall, we had breakfast in the room most days, took in our own snacks and often lunch. I had sensible dinners and took the time to work out most days. Even still, I came home from vacation 5 lbs up because of the salt. I didn't panic, because I knew that sodium was to blame, and it came off in a week or so. Just keep sodium in mind when you are ordering.
  • LindsayLL30
    LindsayLL30 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I didnt have any luck with that.... but what I put on while there came off quite quickly afterwards
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I live in Orlando- And worked at all the parks at one point or another.

You'll do lots of walking. Lots. When I take my niece and nephew parkhopping at Disney, we walk anywhere between 6-12 miles a day (depending on which kid is with me and how much park hopping we do). Plus standing in line... that burns calories too you know, especially when it's stupid hot outside.

Bring in healthy snacks and WATER. You'll have to go through a bag check but it's no big deal. You will want to eat somewhere in the park I'm sure, after a while the backpack food looses it's appeal, healthy or not. Plan it (sorta), decide if it's going to be lunch and/or dinner, and plan your snacks around it. I usually plan a late lunch with my nieces and nephews, and snack before and after.

Just be smart when you order when you are there- don't go crazy with sauces or deep fried food and you should be fine- there are a LOT of options at each park! Not sure which part of Disney you are going to, but if you are going to Epcot, eat there! a ton of choices and delicious! :)

Universal and Islands of Adventure have a couple greast sit down restaurants with decent choices (Mythos Restaurant & Confisco's Grill at Islands, Finnegans Bar and Grill and Lombard's Landing at Universal), plus great food in between at Citywalk with great food choices- even 2 Emeril's restaurants (one self titled, and one called Tchoup Chop located at The Royal pacific Resort on site).

Sea World has a great restaurant called Sharks. Unless Sharks scare the crap outta you, go there! The tables push up against the shark tanks and the bar tops are fish tanks. :)

In Orlando but outside of the parks are two areas with fantastic and fun restaurants. One is on International Drive (mid- to sound I-Drive, south of Sand Lake Road mainly) and the other is on Sand Lake Road (a few blocks from I-Drive) in an area nicknamed restaurant row. Loads of choices there- I mean, T-O-N-S! Even a season's 52 if you want to order something yummy and guarenteed to be low cal (their entire menu).

Agreed with another poster, and a tip: Salt will be the sneaky thing in all of your restaurant food, healthy or not. Just drink as much water as you can stand (for hydration and flushing the sodium), and when you get home- do yourself a big favor, and don't get on the scale for 2 full days. Drink a TON of water those two days, and at the end of the 3rd day, go ahead and check your weight. If you get on the scale before that, you'll see a gain that will guarentably be mostly water weight from the extra sodium.
  • andreachgiraldo
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. Extremely helpful and supportive
  • andreachgiraldo
    Options
    Im gonna do the same thing. I deserve it right Im from panama (the country) and here we do not have funnel cakes, I need to eat that, its easy the best thing I've ever tried and I'm not even a sweet tooth. God bless america for your funnel cakes along other thing of course. Huge fan of U.S.A
  • andreachgiraldo
    Options
    I don't know who said this, but before you eat think, "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." The other thing I do is weird, but it works for me :laugh: When I want something, I start thinking like I already had it and want more. For example, when I want a cookie, I ask myself, "Well, how would you handle this craving if you already had the cookie, but it was so good that you just can't say no to another and another? At some point you have to say no. What's the difference between saying no now and having to say it later? That usually get me through a couple hours :ohwell:

Definetely Im gonna practice that method. Thank you and the quote was by kate moss