Would you count this as exercise?

Options

Replies

• RhodRhod
    RhodRhod Posts: 109
    Options
    I think it's a personal choice, for me if I don't specifically do it for exercise to help with my weight(not getting heart rate up) then I don't log it. So I would probably count it as bonus. Have fun!
  • Rado_SVK
    Rado_SVK Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    In my honest opinion and with all respect,If you ever want to achieve,stop wasting time on such a b******t as logging walking,cleaning the house,taking a shower,poo-ing,wee-ing and god knows what else as exercise..and start to exercise.

Thanks for your input. I totally agree with you about the cleaning, short walks, and taking a shower thing. I usually only log what I do in the gym. I just wanted to see what others opinions were on this as it is an unusual day for me and I won't have access to a gym this weekend.

I also wouldn't consider doing "at home" workouts at the location I'm going to as the floor is really dirty and I don't believe that even laying a towel down will help that situation.
    Sorry I overlooked the thread and I thought the person Im replying to is the OP..anyway if you want to make yourself active over the weekend,during that festival,try to hire a bike if its possible and have a blast on it :tongue:
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Is your heart rate going to be up?
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I would consider it a bonus and not log it.

Exactly. I would love the bonus burn. :)
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I would consider it a bonus and not log it.

This...And if you eat a few more calories...no big deal!
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I would since you don't do it normally. But log it as walking at a slow pace.
  • bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    Options
    Is your heart rate going to be up?

It will but probably not from walking. It will be more from the shows and excitement and will probably come in short bursts. I find conflicting statements on this but does your heart beat really have to be elevated for exercise?

Would it be considered elevated if my resting heart rate is 70 and my walking heart rate to be 85-90?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'm not really familiar with the phone app. Do any of you happen to know if you can make notes from there? It will be my only access to MFP for the weekend and I haven't gotten it downloaded yet.

You can write exercise and diary notes on the phone app
    ^^ This, I use my phone app almost exclusively some days, and since I don't eat back my exercise calories I don't log them but I do note them in the "exercise notes" section or on my news feed.
  • lozadee
    lozadee Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    id log 1/2 the time you state because from my experience theres as much sitting/standing at the same time and id log the food/drink - sometimes retrospective to the weekend but i would to keep an eye on input/out put ect.
  • treenuh_x
    treenuh_x Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I really dunno, man. I usually only log my walking if my heart rate is elevated - if I'm walking at a much faster pace than my fat butt usually walks at. If you're just leisurely strolling around, going from booth to booth, you're probably going to be spending a significant amount of time standing at booths, standing around chatting to people, etc, so it's not going to be 7-8 hours of strictly walking.

I'd probably make a note in my MFP exercise diary saying what I did, but I wouldn't log it as calories burned because you'll probably grossly overestimate how many calories you burned that day. Consider it extra accidental exercise. ;)
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Log it! I'd recommend logging about 3/4 of the time (to account for if you stand still/sit down) on the lowest walking speed. I do this for shopping (its a long walk twice round the mall!) and I did this for a French Living exhibition I went to with my sister, but I also made sure I logged our lunch and all the little tastings we'd had (there wren't as many as we'd thought:ohwell: but I did find out I liked Pernod with the right mixer!:drinker: )

Anything which involves moving around, which leaves you tired, will be additional calories burnt compared with a sedentary lifestyle (desk job). There is plenty of research which says you burn more calories standing than sitting, so walking instead of sitting on your bum is going to burn even more.
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    All movement is exercise according to WW!~ If you wear a tracking device, it would most definitely count. Count it, but don't eat back the calories.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If you're heart rate isn't elevated, it isn't exercise!

^^This is how I feel about this

The only problem I see about this method is that I should count the plane ride there (my heart beats really really fast on take off and landing) and I would count the excitement I would feel at seeing each new family member (they will be filtering into the house I'm staying at 1 or 2 at a time for hours). Since I have started exercising regularly my resting HR has slowed down significantly and I can feel every pound when it gets slightly elevated (this is still a new feeling to me :smile: )

I think they mean heart rate specifically as a result of exertion.
    Heart rate is not directly related to calories burned, however it can be used as an indicator of exertion. Yes, there are any number of other reasons HR can be elevated.
  • bdburch
    Options
    All movement is exercise according to WW!~ If you wear a tracking device, it would most definitely count. Count it, but don't eat back the calories.

The only splurging I plan on doing is at White Castles. I love me some little hamburgers, chicken rings, and big red soda! They don't have any of that stuff in my region. Also Cook Out! I love their hush puppies! Other than that, I believe that I can keep my appetite under control and I don't usually go overboard with fast food anyways since it makes me feel sickly now.
  • AbigailClarke48
    Options
    I'd log it. Slow walking is not a huge calorie burner and it's not going to be an outrageous amount of calories! Careful of your knees dear :) If you're not used to walking that far, you can get sore.
  • bdburch
    Options
    I'd log it. Slow walking is not a huge calorie burner and it's not going to be an outrageous amount of calories! Careful of your knees dear :) If you're not used to walking that far, you can get sore.

Thanks! I currently have a brace on one of my knees and haven't been working it too strenuously over the past few days just to try to prepare for the walking/standing on Saturday :)
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    walking for an extended amount of time is exercise. if it wasnt, there wouldnt be competitions for it. log it

Have you even seen competive walkers? They tend to walk a little faster than walking around at a fair.

Don't log it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    walking for an extended amount of time is exercise. if it wasnt, there wouldnt be competitions for it. log it

Have you even seen competive walkers? They tend to walk a little faster than walking around at a fair.

Don't log it.

Sometimes they walk faster than runner

<
    Was beaten at a half marathon by a race walker
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

Don't log it.

Sometimes they walk faster than runner

<
    Was beaten at a half marathon by a race walker

Girl, me too. :)
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I wear a Fitbit and it would still count the steps and tell me my calorie adjustment, so I guess it counts as exercise!