How to use up bananas?

Options
NC1994
NC1994 Posts: 24
I bought some bananas at the weekend and don;t think im gonna eat them because i HATE eating them when they are even a little bit brown!!

has anyone got any recipes that contain bananas that i can use? preferably a recipe that has calorie information with it :)

Replies

• m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Freeze them. Then put them in the food processor with a little milk and you get banana ice cream. You have to eat it straight away though.
  • RunEatLift
    Options
    Banana bread? You can mash them into oatmeal and it tastes lovely!
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and slice them up and make a peanut butter banana wrap in a tortilla. You can also use almond butter or nutella.
    You can also take two bananas and mash them up with one egg and make pancakes out of them.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Here's a low-cal recipe for Banana Bread, uses honey and apple sauce for sweetner.

http://cleaneatingmag.com/Recipes/Recipe/Chocolate-Chunk-Banana-Bread.aspx

Very yummy.
  • theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    you could make a banana milkshake.just mashed bananas+milk

or maybe you could find a low calorie banana pancake recipe
  • justgin1
    justgin1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I peel them and put them in a ziplock bag in the freezer then use for smoothies as needed.
  • Rachshuv
    Rachshuv Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Banana flapjacks, the banana sticks the flapjack together instead of excess sugar, loads of online recipes, i do them every week. Im from the UK, i think theyre called something different in the US.
  • missewright
    Options
    Banana milkshake

Banana's, milk, ice cream and hazlenut yoghurt is amazing x
  • tharve2
    tharve2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies.. I love the dark chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie that I make. The ingredients are 1 banana, 1 tablespoon of Hershey's Dark Chocolate Cocoa, 1 tablespoon of honey, 2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter, and 1 c of unsweetened almond milk. Put all the ingredients in a blender! I drink it at 3pm as my afternoon snack before a workout after work.
  • divalivious
    divalivious Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    This is a great banana bread ~ no sugar and no grains.

http://www.primallyinspired.com/no-sugar-no-grains-easy-and-amazing-banana-bread/
  • tpenha
    tpenha Posts: 19
    Options
    my friends laugh at me but, I actually mash a banana up in my eggs and scramble them. They taste great!
  • Lind5ay90
    Lind5ay90 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Make flourless banana pancakes with one egg and 2 mashed up bananas. Cook them on a griddle or frying pan and they taste great!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    If you peel them and freeze the fruit you will be able to use them in any recipe using mashed bananas at a later date...or cook with them now, but they mash very easily after being frozen.
  • horses7777
    horses7777 Posts: 165
    Options
    bump
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Mash them up with some oats and bake them as cookies. They are so yummy and no sugar added!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Did you know that bananas are actually better for you when they have brown on them? I also can't eat them plain though like that. Two things I do....make a smoothie with some fruit and yogurt. Calories depend on what you put in but with 1 cup yogurt, 1/2 cup milk, 1 banana, and some strawberries, mine usually come out to around 350 calories. I also developed my own pancakes made with 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/3 cup egg whites (or 2 eggs for more calories), 1 banana, and whatever else I feel like putting in (for me, cinnamon, PB2 and blueberries). All you do is mash up the banana really well, mix in the other ingredients, and cook like pancakes. They come out to about 360 calories, 5 grams of fat, 21 grams of protein, 60 carbs, and >250 mg of sodium. They keep me full for hours and taste great! Though I recommend the cinnamon or they can be a bit bland.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about my bananas!

OATMEAL

Lately I've been using my bananas in oatmeal, here is the recipe:

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/09/20/make-ahead-steel-cut-oatmeal-4-new-oatmeal-recipes/

Ingredients:
    2 cups water
    2 cups almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
    1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
    2 large bananas, mashed (1 cup mashed)
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    Pinch of salt
    1 tbsp ground flax + 1 tbsp chia seeds (or seeds of choice)
    2-3 tsp vanilla extract

1. In a medium-sized pot, bring the water and almond milk to a boil. Add in steel-cut oats and a pinch of salt and reduce heat to low.
    2. Stir in the mashed banana (mashing it helps disperse the sweetness throughout), ground flax, and chia seeds. Simmer on low, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, stirring every 5 mins or so.
    3. When the oats are creamy and tender, remove from heat and stir in cinnamon to taste and pure vanilla extract. Serve immediately or allow to cool before transferring into air tight containers in the fridge. In the morning, add a splash of milk and reheat in the micro or on the stove-top.

Read more: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/09/20/make-ahead-steel-cut-oatmeal-4-new-oatmeal-recipes/#ixzz2QisE2Rwn

The bananas give a lot of sweetness and bulk to the oatmeal so you get a huge serving and don't need hardly any extra sweetener, although I do like adding a tablespoon of peanut butter and a tablespoon of maple syrup to each serving.. I made the same recipe yesterday and I used only one banana and 4 chopped dates and I didn't have to add any extra sweetener because the dates and banana made it sweet enough. Riper bananas are better for this recipe. I usually make the full recipe and then have breakfast ready for almost the full week. This reheats well.

SMOOTHIES

Freeze bananas after you peel the and break them into chunks. Then you can use in smoothies! Here is one of my favorites. I usually skip the pear but it is good in there. Frozen strawberries also work well here.

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/great-green-fruit-blend-2/

Ingredients

2 cups Beet Greens, Red Swiss Chard, Kale, Spinach or a combination, roughly chopped and packed into the measuring cup
    1 Banana
    1 Golden Delicious Apple
    1/2 Comice Pear
    10 Strawberries, green tops cut off
    1 cup Coconut Water

Directions

Make sure to set the blender on the liquefy setting for this recipe.

ICE CREAM

Bananas make great faux "ice cream". I've been just putting this in a food processor or blender and it it very yummy!

One frozen banana (peel and cut into chunks before freezing)
    1/4 cup almond milk
    4 T ovaltine (if you want it chocolate flavored but you don't need the ovaltine for it to be good)
  • Querian
    Options
    You can also take two bananas and mash them up with one egg and make pancakes out of them.
    I've never heard of this but I'm going to try it!
  • Querian
    Options
    Mash them up with some oats and bake them as cookies. They are so yummy and no sugar added!
    I'm going to try this one too! Sounds delicious!
  • MissRae123
    MissRae123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Banana Cookies
    4bananas
    2cups oats
    1 scoop protein powder
    1 cup blueberries
    Dash of cinnamon

Optional
    1T chia seed
    6T flax

Mash up bananas, add oats and protein, mix well, stir in blueberries, scoop onto baking sheet and bake at 350 for about 10min
    With the chia and flax seed each cookie is 71cals