thoughts about the children of overweight parents

Options

Replies

• k_wills
    k_wills Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Striking the balance of allowing them food when they are hungry...but limiting the choices.
    Think about how emotions play a part in feeding rituals and avoid using food as a reward, celebration... comfort....or punishment.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Controlling what your kids eat is really tough because obviously they need a certain amount to grow and you don't really have any way of knowing what amount that is.

I would focus more on behaviours really - limiting tv and computer time and encouraging them to be active, not using food as a reward, not forcing them to finish everything on their plate, encouraging them to only eat when they are hungry, sitting down as a family at the dining table for dinner.

In terms of nutrition, I think the best thing you can do is make sure you have loads of nutritious food on hand and let them eat in line with their appetite. A healthy child is actually really good at regulating their own food intake - it tends to be the influence of others that changes that!

This post reminds me of a story one of my uni lecturers (and expert paediatric dietitian) used to tell about a study she was doing where they were assessing (blindly) the diets of children. They found one girl who had such a low calorie and low fat diet that they were concerned for her welfare, looked up the child's name etc to notify the parents, only to discover it was her child!! They then started re-introducing full fat yoghurts etc. Just goes to show how tough it is!
  • mhannan13
    mhannan13 Posts: 53
    Options
    I'm eighteen years old and have been overweight since I was four. My mom attributes my 4 y.o. weight gain to the fact that her mother got very sick and died and so she was busy being a good daughter and had to put the good mother (i.e. making meals for me) on the back burner for the time being. I would NEVER blame my mom for my weight gain and would NEVER ask her to put me before my grandmother (who was one hell of a woman) but, now, I always whine to her "You should have strapped me onto a treadmill, measured all my food, banned pizza and ice cream and not allowed me to go to birthday parties! SO MANY GOODY BAGS!!!" As a child, adolescent and teen, being overweight SUCKS. It's hard. You get teased, judged, looked down upon and can never quite be like the other kids. I always complain that my mom didn't deprive me then so I could have been happier now.
    ON THE OTHER HAND- every single time my mom looks over at my plate and says, "Monica, should you really have a third piece of pizza?" I look her dead in the eye and shove the whole thing in my mouth and swallow without chewing. It's part of the rebellious side of me, I guess, but the more she tries to monitor me or keep tabs the more I want to pig out as if saying 'HA! TAKE THAT!' She always says, "You're not hurting me, sister," and deep down I know that, but I guess it hurts when you feel like you're being watched like some kind of mental patient on the verge of losing control. Especially when I was dieting and would, say, workout and save calories so that I could have a scoop of ice cream and then when I finally got that ice cream, all cold and glorious in my little bowl, to have my mom say, "Monica, you're doing so well, do you really need that ice cream?" It drives me nuts!!!! I know she's doing it out of love, but it's still so frustrating. I still have tons of guilt whenever I eat a "bad food", and I think a lot of those type of feelings come from the way my mom always made me feel weak or like a cheater for eating them.
    At the end of the day, I started losing weight because I wanted to. I got fed up with struggling and decided to do it for myself. I know that's cliche but it's true. I think the best thing for any parent to do is to start early and teach your kids to love fruits and veggies and to be active. And if they do get to a point where they need to drop some weight, provide them with as much support and as many tools as you can. Cook healthy meals and buy healthy foods. Sign up for an exercise class together or get them a gym membership and maybe even a nutritionist. Be there to listen and talk to them. Praise them. Notice. I never feel better than when my mom will be looking at me and say "God, you're such a tiny little person!" or "Good choice, Moni." And don't point out when they mess up or chastise them. WE KNOW. Be subtle, "Hey, wanna' play some tennis on Monday evenings?" is a lot better than "You've been sitting on the couch all week!" Don't push them, because they're not gonna' do it until they're ready and it honestly does hurt our feelings.
    As kids, we want to make you proud. If you're there for us, that's the most we can ask for!
  • mhannan13
    mhannan13 Posts: 53
    Options
    I'm eighteen years old and have been overweight since I was four. My mom attributes my 4 y.o. weight gain to the fact that her mother got very sick and died and so she was busy being a good daughter and had to put the good mother (i.e. making meals for me) on the back burner for the time being. I would NEVER blame my mom for my weight gain and would NEVER ask her to put me before my grandmother (who was one hell of a woman) but, now, I always whine to her "You should have strapped me onto a treadmill, measured all my food, banned pizza and ice cream and not allowed me to go to birthday parties! SO MANY GOODY BAGS!!!" As a child, adolescent and teen, being overweight SUCKS. It's hard. You get teased, judged, looked down upon and can never quite be like the other kids. I always complain that my mom didn't deprive me then so I could have been happier now.
    ON THE OTHER HAND- every single time my mom looks over at my plate and says, "Monica, should you really have a third piece of pizza?" I look her dead in the eye and shove the whole thing in my mouth and swallow without chewing. It's part of the rebellious side of me, I guess, but the more she tries to monitor me or keep tabs the more I want to pig out as if saying 'HA! TAKE THAT!' She always says, "You're not hurting me, sister," and deep down I know that, but I guess it hurts when you feel like you're being watched like some kind of mental patient on the verge of losing control. Especially when I was dieting and would, say, workout and save calories so that I could have a scoop of ice cream and then when I finally got that ice cream, all cold and glorious in my little bowl, to have my mom say, "Monica, you're doing so well, do you really need that ice cream?" It drives me nuts!!!! I know she's doing it out of love, but it's still so frustrating. I still have tons of guilt whenever I eat a "bad food", and I think a lot of those type of feelings come from the way my mom always made me feel weak or like a cheater for eating them.
    At the end of the day, I started losing weight because I wanted to. I got fed up with struggling and decided to do it for myself. I know that's cliche but it's true. I think the best thing for any parent to do is to start early and teach your kids to love fruits and veggies and to be active. And if they do get to a point where they need to drop some weight, provide them with as much support and as many tools as you can. Cook healthy meals and buy healthy foods. Sign up for an exercise class together or get them a gym membership and maybe even a nutritionist. Be there to listen and talk to them. Praise them. Notice. I never feel better than when my mom will be looking at me and say "God, you're such a tiny little person!" or "Good choice, Moni." And don't point out when they mess up or chastise them. WE KNOW. Be subtle, "Hey, wanna' play some tennis on Monday evenings?" is a lot better than "You've been sitting on the couch all week!" Don't push them, because they're not gonna' do it until they're ready and it honestly does hurt our feelings.
    As kids, we want to make you proud. If you're there for us, that's the most we can ask for!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    We do not have a closed kitchen, we keep a limited amount of junk in the house (air popped popcorn, halloween candy-two pieces a week, chips are bought once a month and when they are gone-they are gone, ice cream is natural and a treat once a week), she may have as many veggies as she wants, fruit is not limited unless she goes on a binge of it and could possibly have issues later that day. Dairy is optional (we use soy and nut milks every day) Meat is also optional (her father eats it, I do not), she has a choice between the vegetarian option or the omnivore option. There is no white grain products in the house either, all whole grains and usually in grain form (quinoa, teff, amaranth, millet, brown rice/wild rice, oats). At the moment she is at summer camp and she does eat their food but the processed food is limited and they have the option of milk or water for drinks. At home it's the same, water or milk and juice maybe once a week...no soda unless at a party or outing. We've done away with as much processed foods in the house as possible. She also knows what is healthy and what is not, education is the first line of defense for childhood obesity. While neither me nor her father are over weight we believe that eating properly and excersize are key to being healthy not just maintaining a healthy weight. She's limited to 1-2 hours of tv/video games/movies a day. The rest of the time should be spent outside or playing creative games or reading. It's all about balance otherwise I know she would rebel (same way with attire/friends/ect it's about give and take and how it will work out in the long run, not just the right now).
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    My kids have to ask, but the answer is almost always yes, unless it is almost time for lunch or dinner and I'm making something specific, in which case I will ask them to save their appetite because we are eating together very soon. They're usually satisfied with a couple of nuts or a few sunflower seeds in the meantime, just to feel like they're eating something, but not filling up. Halloween candy usually lasts till next halloween, they're not sweet eaters. My ten year old will ask if he can have some broccoli for a snack, or some peanut butter on crackers. They are both at the low end of the scale for weight, I think one is actually underweight, you can count every rib, but he eats constantly. I think it's just the fact of being ten and never stopping for 2 seconds!:laugh:
    They can pretty much choose anything in the kitchen for a snack because I don't buy much junk. Popcorn and frozen yogurt is about the worst of it.
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    Funny because I always felt the opposite, I was allowed whatever I wanted whenever I wanted and a lot of times as a child I would eat till I got sick!! I don't know how many times I went to bed feeling sick, all because I over ate. I was thin as a young child, got chunky from ages 8-12 and then thinned out a bit, then got heavy after marriage and kids. Anyways, with my oldest three kids (my youngest is underweight) I have watched what they eat but to a point! If I know they are just saying it because they are bored we will find something to do!

One summer my second son was 5 and went to his grandmas for a month then to his dads for a month (while I was in college) and gained 15lbs!!!!!!! After that I really had to watch him closer and STRESS to my family that NO he didn't need seconds on dinner every night nor desert every night!

I don't have a lot of crap food in my house on a regular basis, I try to save chips, cake etc. for treats on special occasions or for a movie night etc. I am also lucky because my kids are not big on sweets at all. But I do have fibre one bars, fruit snacks, cups of fruit etc. for lunches at school and preschool. I also don't allow seconds at meal time UNLESS its veggies or salad etc. OR if I just give them a little bit at first to try and they like it then I'll give them seconds. I always serve veggies on their plate even if I know they don't like them! They eat fruit every day too and I buy the veggie fruit juice, but they drink a lot of water as well! I buy 1% milk too!

Anyways, I don't go over board and freaky about it, but I try to set SOME good examples!
  • supersarah14
    supersarah14 Posts: 170
    Options
    I do not have kids (yet) but here's what I experienced...

I have ALWAYS been overweight...and I mean always. Ever since I poped out of my mother I've been overweight. Both my mother and father are skinny so are my sisters. I have always been the odd one out or as I liked to think "the fat one in the family photos". Both of my parents were in the military until they retired 5 years ago. They would drop us off at daycare/before school care at 7am and pick us up at 6:30pm. Then we would come home, eat dinner (which was usually hamburger helper or pasta with a side of bread and a canned veggie), then watch TV for an hour or so then go to bed. Then repeat. I remember being 11 years at 125lbs. It was rough.

We did not have a "closed" kitchen in our house but we sure had a guilt/diet kitchen but only to me...not one of my sisters (my mother even put me on slim fast when I was 10). Every time I ate something I would be told by my father how many times I would have to run around the block to burn it off or I would get the sigh and head shake from my mother. I would get half the serving sizes of my little sister and then would race with my dad to see who could eat faster. I was very confused and very upset with how I looked all through my childhood. Eventually I just got fed up. I didn't even try to eat healthier or figure out what was heathy. My mom just kept getting me quick fix diets...like the green tea patches or nutrisystem or slim fast...or whatever. I hated it. So I came home from school every day and drowned my sorrows in a bag of chips or a tub of icecream...not feeling like I was ever good enough. I love my parents and I know that they would never do anything to intentially harm me but it didn't help me either. I didn't even know veggies or fruits didn't come from a can till I was 16 for crying out loud!!!

I've decided when I have kids that I will teach them at an early age that not all foods are off limits but some foods should only be eaten in moderation (i.e. mcdonalds, mac and cheese, hot dogs, chips, cookies...etc). I will extremely limit the amount of processed food I'll have in the house and I will not treat food as rewards for doing something good.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    I'm in a hurry so I can't read all of the posts, but I really needed to say what I was thinking before I left the house,:laugh:

I was raised in an unrestricted house. A European background, meaning everything was centered around food and saying no was disrespectful. Vegetables came in cans, if there were any beside potatoes. Fruit would be fresh and "snacks" had no limits. All three of my siblings were severely obese by age 12 and I was anorexic.

What that has taught me, is education is the key. In recovery, the parents are urged not to control food. But to make sure healthy- not low cal/low fat/diet- foods are available. Take part in meal planning and sharing as a family. Not to fuss over calories because if you are offering whole foods, calories are automatically low. It was quite interesting how out of 20 of us anorexics/bulemics, all of us learned "dieting" from our parents. But not one of us were ever taught that food is for nourishment more than enjoyment or discipline. (Quick note, not all 20 patients were underweight either. Several were obese all their lives.)

What I do with my daughter is a combonation of what I learned in recovery and Love and Logic parenting. (Great book, BTW)

~My kitchen stays stocked with whole foods.
    ~Treats are bought, like chips, soda, ice cream- only once per month. If she wants to eat them all in one day, I let the tummy ache do the teaching. I can tell you this with confidence, we only had that problem once. The lesson was learned and poor choice not repeated.
    ~I do NOT talk about calories and fat, but I do teach her to read the labels. What is the portion size listed? Can you pronounce the ingredients? Do you still want that or would you like an apple?
    ~Meals are served and planned in advance. She has a choice to participate in the planning and preparation. When a meal is served, we sit at the table together, say a word of thanks, and enjoy the meal. I prefer that she not take seconds of one thing untill everything is gone.
    ~I have taught hre that each meal should include a protien, a whole grain, and lots of veggies, one of which should always be green. She sticks to this when away from home and that makes me very proud. However, when visiting grandma, the veggies are often replaced with fruit and she learned on her own why veggies are so vital.
    ~We talk openly about food. She tells me about friends who are dieting (10 years old) or counting calories and she worries about them. We live by a motto around here, "We eat to live, not live to eat." While we spend extra time planning or foods, shopping, and being honest- we spend far less time obsessing. We have our days, but they are few.
    ~I do close the kitchen after dinner, simply because I clean it and that is that. If she wants a snack, I won't say no. But she is expected to leave the kitchen as it was when she went in. What the leads to is, "I'm really not that hungry, just bored" Why? Because she has to think about it and work for it. If she really is hungry, she will do it. But in the beginning, that was more habit than anything because I would let her slide on dinner and have a snack later so she didn't go to bed hungry. But going to bed hungry is a valuble lesson and it only took a few times before she understood why making the choice to participate in planning would be to her benefit.
    ~Lastly, because our kitchen is stocked with whole foods and I do not have set rules about restricting (not many) she has learned to feel the difference in her body. She would prefer a snack of sliced bananas and strawberries with a drizzle of chocolate sauce for dessert and carrots and hummus for a snack, opposed to 100 cal packs or candy.

OK, I'm running late now.............
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I don't have children yet but this is my story. I was first called fat at 9 and after that was always "chubby" or overweight. We were basically allowed to eat whatever we wanted when we wanted. My mom bought specific "treats" for herself that we were never allowed...or if we were, she would say "only 2 or 3" at a time because she wanted the majority to herself. We got ice cream occasionally and would usually share one half gallon with the other siblings while each parent got their own. We could have seconds and were required to eat everything on our plate. There were vegetables but usually frozen or canned. A lot of meals were carb heavy. If there was something in the fridge that we wanted and it was the last one, we weren't allowed because it was usually Mom's. We were never really encouraged to do sports because my parents couldn't pay for it. My parents struggled with money for most of our lives so the cheap unhealthy foods were usually first to get bought. Mac and cheese, hot dogs, sandwiches, etc.

At my grandma's house, we were only allowed dessert every couple days and that was the only "sweet" we were allowed that day. We were encouraged to play outside and not watch so much TV. We would hike the woods and explore creeks and also swim a lot at my uncle's house while visiting our grandma.

Soda was always available in my house and almost every Sunday it was usually frozen pizza (which was bought in excess as it was cheaper) and soda or Velveeta cheese and tortilla chips. We also ate a lot of Banquet frozen meals, chicken pot pies, and burritos growing up.

I didn't know anything about nutrition until I started doing research on my own when I was 16, had gained 35 lbs from summer to winter and started eating healthier and working out from Shape.com's workouts.

I plan on teaching my children how to eat healthy but GOOD. A lot of people think healthy foods are gross and I've proven to my boyfriend that's not the case and I plan on showing my children that as well as instilling portion control and intuitive eating: when you're hungry, not when you're bored. Also, I think it's important to let children figure out for themselves the difference in how your body feels with different foods. I liked WannabeaCullen's example of her daughter eating all her allowed treats in one sitting and learning her lesson. In fact, I like her whole approach and will try to do something similar with my kids, and hope my boyfriend, should he be the father, cuts down on his junk food feasting!!
  • laura11248
    laura11248 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks so much for all of your insight. It seems like education is the common thread through the post. I am really walking away feeling much better about decisions I have recently made and have some new ideas to further my families journey to a more healthful lifestyle!

Thanks!
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am in such a different position from most of you. I grew up with fresh veggie (from the grandmother who lived up stairs) and lots whole grain breads (rye and wheat). Very little processed foods. Most of my "you're fat" crap came from my father and my mother's mother, who were now that I am looking back at it with an adult's perspective, were saying that nasty stuff because I was built "womanly" at 12/13 and they didn't now how to handle it.

Now, in my adult life, I have 3 very active kids and 1 not so active who I have to work hard to keep properly feed. One of whom has a broken appetite (ie she really doesn't have one ~ while it sounds great, it is super pain in the behind to deal with). I have one who is a coach potato who rather skip vegetables even as he calls himself a vegetarian. I spend all of my time playing nutritionist, making sure that every child has a balanced diet. I'm finally paying attention to my diet.

We close the kitchen at 8pm because I don't want my teenagers to make big mess or often my youngest will eat a light supper in hopes of scamming more the rare "snacks" that sometime happen after supper. When that doesn't happen, he gets "hungry" two seconds before bedtime. We say "Good, we'll make you an extra large breakfast then." And we do.

My "skinny" husband married me with a pretty bad diet that gave him indigestion. Over the years, he has gotten better and now acts like he has always be a great eater.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Really interesting post and a lot of interesting responses.

I think a huge issue that nobody has yet dealt with is what you, as a parent, CAN'T control- your child's friend's eating habits.

In my house, we never had "brand-name" snacks. We always had fresh fruits and veggies (my dad worked for a wholesale produce company and brought stuff home) but I never really wanted to eat that stuff because it was always there. Having things around all the time makes it really easy to take advantage of it and not want to eat it anymore. For "bad" snacks, we had fake chips and fake cookies and fake everything. So let me tell you, when I went over my next door neighbor's house, I would easily eat an entire bag of Doritos in one sitting with my best friend. I LOVED the real stuff and couldn't get enough of it, so when I was in a situation where I could eat it, I would gorge myself.

For me, my parents weren't teaching me about eating healthy and why it mattered, so that wasn't the issue. The reason we didn't have the "good" stuff was because we couldn't afford it. But I think that your child has to have some sort of understanding of these things, otherwise they will do what I did and eat everything you don't have in the house when they are at a friends. I think education is key.

I'd also be wary of what you do to try and get a child to eat their veggies. For example, my dad would put tons of butter on veggies so we'd eat it, or he'd put velveeta on broccoli, things like that. Sure, we ate the veggies, but at what cost? With all the other added crap, we probably would have been better off not eating it at all!

Another issue with kids today is their level of activity, in many cases, the lack thereof. I babysit a lot, and all these kids want to do is sit in front of the tv or the computer or play video games. When I was a kid, we asked "can I go outside and play?" not "can I watch tv?" We never had a gaming console and didn't have a computer for a long time, and once we had one, the internet was slow and not really very useful and we very rarely were allowed to buy games for it (and when we did, they were educational, like Oregon Trail and Titanic!). I don't really know how to go back to that time where going outside was the best thing in the world, but it needs to be done. I practically have to force the kids I babysit to come outside and play. One of them has a beautiful in-ground pool that they never want to swim in and both families I sit for have big yards (which is unheard of in LA!) and yet they don't want to use them. I try to convince them to come play volleyball or basketball or go on the swing-set, and it is like I am pulling teeth!

In the past, we didn't have to worry so much about what kids ate because they were so active it didn't matter. Now, everything is an issue. I think getting the kids outside to play would be even more helpful in controlling their weight than eating, even though they do still need to learn how to eat right so they don't fall into the problems that many of us did.
  • tammyschmidt9430
    Options
    Hi,I would love some recipe ideas for the kids and myself. I was never over wieght as a child but kitchen was closed. We only had pizza when the sitter came as well as pop. I have 6 kids ages 21,19,19,18,7 and 4. I'm 42. I'm finding that my younger 2 are a little heavier then they should be as well as myself. I also keep plenty of fruit and veggies on hand. I had a hysterectomy in November, I can't seem to get the weight off. This is my second marriage, and when he wanted kids I thought there goes the scale again. I'm the heaviest I have ever been. 5ft 7 and 240. I have only bee over weight after having children. I recently sw a pic of myself and cried myself to sleep last night.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have a 20 month old and he's actually a little underweight for his height already. He is in the picky stage, where he likes fish sticks and cheese. Thank g-d he also LOVES vegetables and fruit.

I never have desserts or junk in the house. I never bake. They are outside treats, and also, my son is allergic to eggs, so he can't have most baked goods.

I have trained him since he started solids, not to like sugary things by not giving them to him. If I open a bar of 72% dark chocolate, that' a different story.

My rule- Big breakfast of oatmeal made with milk and pureed fruit, lunch must include a vegetable and dairy and whole wheat, snack is either dry cereal or apple sauce and a few rice cracker or a brown rice cake, and dinner is a protein, pureed vegetable and a whole grain. Dessert is either fresh fruit or raisins. If he gets an additional cookie, he's still not doing too bad!

I just wanted to add-

I really believe that if a child has a healthy balanced diet, then there is no reason to restrict them. I was always heavy because of the desserts, not the junk. I never ate twizzlers even, but when my mom had a chocolate cake I would be out of control. Also, I think the more you make an 'issue' out of food, the more problems there will be in the future. Food is something to enjoy, but also sustenance and it shouldn't be stressed over. If you have a lot of produce, whole grains, dairy, fish and poultry, I really don't see any reason why a normal active child should be restricted when it comes to food.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options

I just wanted to add-

I really believe that if a child has a healthy balanced diet, then there is no reason to restrict them. I was always heavy because of the desserts, not the junk. I never ate twizzlers even, but when my mom had a chocolate cake I would be out of control. Also, I think the more you make an 'issue' out of food, the more problems there will be in the future. Food is something to enjoy, but also sustenance and it shouldn't be stressed over. If you have a lot of produce, whole grains, dairy, fish and poultry, I really don't see any reason why a normal active child should be restricted when it comes to food.

Brilliantly said!!:drinker: I think thats where I was going, but in so many more words:laugh:
  • bennettv
    bennettv Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    QUOTE: "Actually eggs are grouped in with the Meat and Alternatives group (or Meat and Beans in the USA), not dairy."

I remember seeing pictures of the dairy with eggs -- maybe that's an old picture, maybe it wasn't the food pyramid. You'd be surprised at how many Americans thinks that eggs are part of the dairy group. We constantly have wait staff trying to sort out what our child could have off the menu and make sure to tell us that eggs are or are not in a certain dish. We gently remind them that dairy and eggs come from different animals. They are usually quite surprised. Maybe it's not because of anything the food pyramid has done, maybe it's just the fact that most people have absolutely no connection to where their food comes from. I've had parents get upset that my kids have told their kids what animal a certain kind of meat comes from. I believe if your going to eat meat you need to come to terms that the animal lost its life for your sustenance. Reverence and respect should follow. I know not everyone agrees, but that's what I teach my kids.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I do not buy junk food to bring into the house. If we're out and my daughter gets some junk then it's a treat. That being said, she never ever gets soda pop. She had it once and the caffine in it made her mean acting. I take her grocery shopping with me so she knows what we get and she doesn't even ask for junk. I guess I should add, when my daughter wants to eat or snack, I give her a choice of about 2-3 things. However, at dinner she gets what I make for dinner. It's the only meal that we all get to sit down together and eat and I'm not making everyone thier own individual meal.
  • SayRah
    SayRah Posts: 104
    Options
    Both of my parents are overweight. I don't remember much of my eating habits as a kid but I do recall it was unhealthy....lots of cheeseburgers, mac and cheese, ice cream, pizza etc., not a whole lot of fruits, vegetables, or whole grains. My mom NEVER said 'no' to me when I asked for food. My dad wasn't around too much but when he was, he was eating and sitting on the couch. I never learned healthy habits, however, I knew that my lifestyle was wrong and I was overweight. I remember being really ashamed in the 6th grade when I found out that in order to be on the football team you had to be a minimum of 150 lbs. I very clearly remembered that I was about 160 lbs at the time and I was SO embarrased about how I was able to be on the football team, even though I was a girl in middle school. Also, I was really badly teased for most of my childhood because of my weight.

Though I find it interesting, my parents did not teach me or tell me that I should be active and eat well -- I had to find that out myself and it's something I'm going to stick with. Meanwhile, I have friends whose parents strictly limited their food and made them be active when they were younger....they were VERY skinny and then when they got to college, they were the ones who gained the freshman fifteen! Meanwhile I have lost about 10 lbs from the beginning of my freshman year.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    QUOTE: "Actually eggs are grouped in with the Meat and Alternatives group (or Meat and Beans in the USA), not dairy."

I remember seeing pictures of the dairy with eggs -- maybe that's an old picture, maybe it wasn't the food pyramid. You'd be surprised at how many Americans thinks that eggs are part of the dairy group. We constantly have wait staff trying to sort out what our child could have off the menu and make sure to tell us that eggs are or are not in a certain dish. We gently remind them that dairy and eggs come from different animals. They are usually quite surprised. Maybe it's not because of anything the food pyramid has done, maybe it's just the fact that most people have absolutely no connection to where their food comes from. I've had parents get upset that my kids have told their kids what animal a certain kind of meat comes from. I believe if your going to eat meat you need to come to terms that the animal lost its life for your sustenance. Reverence and respect should follow. I know not everyone agrees, but that's what I teach my kids.

I think people confuse eggs as dairy because they are sold in the dairy section and not the meat section. They also don't look like like meat, if you think about it, but they are yellow and white like milk and cheese. I also honestly remember eggs being in the dairy pictures back in my school days. I'm thinking of before the food pyramid, back when fruits and veggies were one group too..... Wow, that was a while ago....:glasses: