how do you get rid of a squirrel

Makoce
Makoce Posts: 938 Member
We tried shooting a red squirrel who is destroying our house, we then tried a life trap. Guess what, I CAUGHT HIM, guess what else, he knocked himself OFF THE DECK and GOT FREE.

Will he fall for that again? My senses say no, not at all. How the hell do I get him now......I am so mad, omfg.

Sorry i know this isnt weight loss related, haha

Replies

• Penny_Lane_
    Penny_Lane_ Posts: 163
    squirrel-trap.gif
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,779 Member
    got to bump to show my husband
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I think I'd call animal control or some ideas. I think there are people you can hire who will trap them and take them away. Maybe try the live trap again but in a different place.
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    squirrel-trap.gif

OMG!! LOVE IT!! ROFL

I had the same problem but the live trap I had he couldn't get out of. I took him to my office and let him go. I caught one with bait another with curiosity I guess because the cage was empty. LOL I have other squirrel's but none of the others are bothering my house. Maybe they saw what happened to the others and are staying away which is fine with me!
  • Daryl Dixon is how you get rid of a squirrel.

(I'm gunna feel like an *kitten* if there's no walking dead fans on here haha)
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    gif-squirrel-Brickleberry-460220.gif
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Our Malinois/boxer mix takes care of ours.

JM
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    or...

gif-obi-wan-v-squirrel-sandbox-366446.gif
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    We had a family of 3 of them move into our attic a few years ago. The main thing is you need to find out how they're getting in. Nail any loose boards/siding/shingles down (make sure the squirrels are OUT of the house at that time, usually during the day). Cover any vent openings w/hardware "cloth" (heavy duty wire mesh). Do not use poison, because Murphy's Law says they'll die & decompose IN your house somewhere & SMELL. You could try a trap again (they're not that intelligent when it comes to a food bribe). If all else fails, you could try rat traps, I would think that would kill them as well as a rat. They will completely tear up your house, can chew through wires, cause fires doing that, tear up insulation & chew through walls if they want. You definitely want to get rid of them ASAP. In our case they had chewed through the weak mesh of a thermostat controlled exhaust fan on our roof. I saw them outside & went up to block the opening w/hardware cloth. Best sight I had was when I went out about sundown & saw all 3 of them on the roof around the now blocked hole looking confused...lol.
  • andrewjuu
    andrewjuu Posts: 76 Member
    You will probably have to disguise the trap now by putting some live foliage around it. Also put it in a different location.....anything to change the 'look' of the set. Lastly, when you set up the trap, lock the door in the open position for a few days & let the squirrel come in & out w/ no repurcussions (just for a few days). You might even put some nuts in there for him. After he gets 'comfortable' for a day or two w/ the set, then reset the trap, add your bait again & this time don't lock the trap door open. These are things I've done in the past & been successful. Good luck!
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Daryl Dixon is how you get rid of a squirrel.

(I'm gunna feel like an *kitten* if there's no walking dead fans on here haha)

So you don't feel foolish...lol. Yes, I would LOVE to have him come by in person to take care of squirrels. Might even be worth bringing some into our house to get him to come out. LOL As quick as they are to kill main characters, hope he's LAST on their list to go. ;-)
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Pellet rifle and bait. Put up a bird feeder and pop that sucker dead.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Try the trap again different spot on the deck beside the railing (guessing that was the last spot) preferably on the ground.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Catch it, cook him up, and feed him to the family

5ad6jxX.jpg
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    EAT IT!!!!!
  • Whippy107
    Whippy107 Posts: 30 Member
    I just recently purchased a sonic pest repellent machine called "the guardian," and it is working so far! It is kind of expensive at around $60 USD, but it does as it says.

I WILL say that I have mine outside and feel like the range that it works at is not as good as hoped, as I am still getting the little snots in my veggie garden, but at least it IS keeping them out of my house!

There are many other brands of these things that you may want to look into, but this one got good reviews so I decided on it.
  • a4x1e8.jpg
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    squirrel-trap.gif

best part of this is the person behind the screen door cutting the rope. You can see the excitement on their hand.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    How can a squirrel destroy your house, how big is this thing?

Do you live in a house made entirely from nuts?
  • GellisIndigo
    GellisIndigo Posts: 55 Member
    You don't. You merely keep them busy and amused.
    Red Squirrel Assault Course - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TamMqvk4Bb8