Lifting weights... losing weight?

Options
Hey there everybody. Got a question... it may make me sound like a dummy, but I really want to know because I want to lose weight here so I have to know...

So I'm trying to go to the gym at least 4 times a week, 45 minutes each. Every visit it's either the treadmill, the elliptical, and the cycle machine. I haven't touched weights in a few years...

Is strength training part of weight loss? The reason I havent gone near them is because muscle apparently weighs more than fat, and I'm looking to see a drop in the scale. I've measured my hips and waist every week one year, but the number never seemed to go down.

Is it all about "looking" firmer? I focus areas would usually be my back, my abs (especially!), and my legs, sometimes my arms (they're real small :P)

I dunno... it's a bit confusing. Someone straighten it out for me please?

Replies

• MattArcade
    MattArcade Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Lift weights as well as some cardio. Use the 5x5 stronglifts or lifts for girls I think it's called. You use lots of muscles at the same time toning your body and helping to drop the fat, it builds muscle so more muscle eats the fat.

I recommend lifting
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    i am strength training for the first time in my life (body weight program, using the book "body by you"), and it has helped my loss INCREDIBLY. my body is literally changing shape before my very eyes, AND the scale is going down :)
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    If you begin a heavy lifting program, you may still lose weight while you improve muscle fitness - it depends on lots of factors, not the least of which is how overweight you are.

When I began lifting heavy I was already really close to my goal weight. I eat at a 12% deficit because I have some fat to be rid of still. I did not gain or lose at first...then after about 6 weeks of heavy lifting I dropped 4 pounds. The big deal though, is my measurements have changed a lot (4" off stomach in 2.5 months of 3x week lifting), which makes me look smaller and fitter.

EDIT: remember that weight loss is achieved in the kitchen, not the gym. it is the deficit that caused weight loss and while weight training may increase water retention while your muscles repair themselves, it is not true weight gain.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    If you're doing nothing but cardio, then it's a certainty that a good portion of the weight you're losing is lean muscle. And that's not a good thing because that will lower your metabolic rate. Also means that you'll be getting weaker because the less weight you carry, the less the muscle has to work.
    Resistance train. It's good for you and your bones.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • meganfoster12
    meganfoster12 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Yes muscle does weight more than fat; BUT muscle helps burn fat! I weight lifted right from the start and it has helped me to lose 38 pounds so far!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights preserves muscle while losing fat. Without it you can lose a lot of muscle mass along with fat, and chances are you won't be happy with the end result. A lot of people who do only cardio end up with strange fat pockets even when they hit their goal weight. What is more important the number on the scale or the image in the mirror?

I've been lifting regularly for 1.5 years. I weigh 160lbs. I look better now at 160 than I did 4 years ago at 145.
  • a_claire
    a_claire Posts: 61
    Options
    MUSCLE DOES NOT WEIGH MORE THAN FAT.

A pound of muscle is equal to a pound of fat. They're both a pound. However, muscle is denser than fat. This means that a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. If you look at someone who is 140 pounds and has 30% body fat compared to someone who is 140 pounds and 20%, you will see a huge difference.

There are many benefits to weight lifting. Other than the most obvious reason (you'll look better), you will burn more calories when you are resting. The more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism will be. This means that not only will you burn more calories when you're working out, but your caloric burn will be higher when you're not working out as well.

I suggest you look into lifting heavy in order to gain muscle. Do NOT be worried about bulking up. Women do not possess the hormones that men do, and WILL NOT turn into female body builders over night. What will happen is you will see the results you are looking for.

Lastly, do not being completely reliant on the scale. While many times it gives a very helpful information, it should not be the only records you are taking. Take measurements of yourself and track those as well. Many times with weight lifting you will see the scale stay the same, but you will drop many inches. THAT is what is important. It doesn't matter what the scale says, it matters how your clothes fit. No one is going to look at you and think "Wow, she looks amazing, but I wonder what the scale says?!"

Best of luck!
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i have been facing the similar problem.... i lift heavy for 6 days a week , each day a different muscles and have been doing this past 2 months but still no loss in weight or inches.. really require advice as to what is happening?

Note- my muscles get sore the next day . which indicates i have done a good amount of lifting but no result as such , not even an inch reduction

have been following a good diet too
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    When you're in a deficit (which you will be, to lose weight) the muscle gain, if any, will be so minimal/next to nothing that it's not really going to make a difference to your weight loss.

The main reason for lifting while losing weight is to preserve muscle mass. You will also get stronger. Muscle gain only really happens when you're eating a minimum of maintenance, aside from very small newbie gains.

Lift weights to preserve muscle / gain strength, do your cardio for CV health, eat in a calorie deficit to shed fat.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    i have been facing the similar problem.... i lift heavy for 6 days a week , each day a different muscles and have been doing this past 2 months but still no loss in weight or inches.. really require advice as to what is happening?

Note- my muscles get sore the next day . which indicates i have done a good amount of lifting but no result as such , not even an inch reduction

Unless you are a pretty advanced body builder, you don't need to be working out 6 days a week, and hitting muscle groups individually. I'd look into a 3-day a week full body compound program like StrongLifts 5x5 or New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. You could add in some cardio on your days off or just use them to recover.

Also, soreness isn't a good indication of anything. Don't use it to judge you workout quality.

I checked your diary quick. 1800 appears to be a good goal. Make sure you are weighing and measuring everything accurately.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Yes it does. When comparing weight of muscle and fat, you use the same VOLUME. By volume muscle weight more than fat.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Then you're probably consuming more than you need. Cut back 100 calories a day and see what happens.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ValMartin79
    ValMartin79 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

A pound of muscle is equal to a pound of fat. They're both a pound. However, muscle is denser than fat. This means that a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. If you look at someone who is 140 pounds and has 30% body fat compared to someone who is 140 pounds and 20%, you will see a huge difference.

There are many benefits to weight lifting. Other than the most obvious reason (you'll look better), you will burn more calories when you are resting. The more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism will be. This means that not only will you burn more calories when you're working out, but your caloric burn will be higher when you're not working out as well.

I suggest you look into lifting heavy in order to gain muscle. Do NOT be worried about bulking up. Women do not possess the hormones that men do, and WILL NOT turn into female body builders over night. What will happen is you will see the results you are looking for.

Lastly, do not being completely reliant on the scale. While many times it gives a very helpful information, it should not be the only records you are taking. Take measurements of yourself and track those as well. Many times with weight lifting you will see the scale stay the same, but you will drop many inches. THAT is what is important. It doesn't matter what the scale says, it matters how your clothes fit. No one is going to look at you and think "Wow, she looks amazing, but I wonder what the scale says?!"

Best of luck!
    This^ ^
  • corrinnebrown
    Options
    I honestly enjoy strength more than cardio. I do 4 days a week strength and 2 cardio.
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I eat at a deficit, lift heavy and BARELY do any cardio... If I do any cardio it's maybe 10-20 mins every other day... I'll do HIIT, the stair climber or the elliptical... I used to kill myself with cardio and got burnt out! Never again!!! Once I hit my goal I will no longer eat at deficit, I'll transition into my maintenance calorie intake but continue to lift heavy b/c that's what I love!
  • a_claire
    a_claire Posts: 61
    Options
    Like I said, the density is different. If you are taking the same volume of fat and muscle, obviously the mass of the muscle will be higher. However, that does not change the fact that a pound of fat does not weight less than a pound of muscle. They are both a pound.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    When you're in a deficit (which you will be, to lose weight) the muscle gain, if any, will be so minimal/next to nothing that it's not really going to make a difference to your weight loss.

The main reason for lifting while losing weight is to preserve muscle mass. You will also get stronger. Muscle gain only really happens when you're eating a minimum of maintenance, aside from very small newbie gains.

Lift weights to preserve muscle / gain strength, do your cardio for CV health, eat in a calorie deficit to shed fat.

This
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options

This was happening to me. I followed a fairly clean diet and ate around 1800 calories per day. I gained about 6 pounds after 2 months of lifting and got very nervous. I kept at it and the weight has finally come back off, but I have gotten stronger. I can lift more now. I am back to my orignal weight.

My current goal is to lose body fat, but keep lean muscle. It may not show up on the scale for me though. I also had to add a bit of cardio back in ( 30 minutes on lifting days) to get the scale to move down again for me. I lift 3 days per week, but do 2 body parts per day. It just works better for my schedule that way.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Once you start lifting you won't care about the scale so much anymore. This is the best reason to lift heavy. Instead you can simply look at the bar and the weights and total up the only weight your going to care about.

tumblr_m9jky0Tl871rbfyhco1_500.gif
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options

Then you're probably consuming more than you need. Cut back 100 calories a day and see what happens.

IDEA Fitness member

If her diary is logged accurately she is not eating too much. I would lean towards upping cals for the amount of weight training she is doing. Maybe staying at maintenance for a while and then slowly cutting?